best way to rear mount turbo a stock lighting

svtba1993

How should i do a rear mount turbo on my 93 lighting? And i am on a bugdet. i wanted it a little faster but still able to be drivin day to day. i dont want to rip apart the motor or blow it up. just looking for some help. thank you

Rear mount turbos were basicly designed out of necessity, due to packaging.

In other words,........ they didn't have room under the hood to mount them,....hence the rear mount deal was born.

There's plenty of room to mount a turbo(s) in the engine bay of a 93-95 L.

Why make it complicated? :headscratch:

Rear mount turbos were basicly designed out of necessity, due to packaging.

In other words,........ they didn't have room under the hood to mount them,....hence the rear mount deal was born.

There's plenty of room to mount a turbo(s) in the engine bay of a 93-95 L.

Why make it complicated? :headscratch:

Probably more complicated and expensive to do it in the engine bay. No need for new headers and worrying about fitment under the hood. Under the truck I feel like would be easiest. Just put the turbo as close as possible to the motor, then run your tubing back to the intake. Only downside is that you have to buy a pump to return the oil but that is cheaper than getting headers. Will still look stock under the hood to boot! Look at Dogman's truck... That thing is a monster.

Good luck OP.I'm considering a rear mount on my 01 supercrew,not just to make it faster though,kinda a 50/50 performance/towing deal LOL!

Everyone is under the misconseption that turbo builds have to be expensive. You can do a cheap build just like buying a used blower!!

indeed! I would bet that you could do a remote mount for slightly over $1k if you do the work yourself.

Everyone is under the misconseption that turbo builds have to be expensive. You can do a cheap build just like buying a used blower!!

Fabbing it yourself, I understand... I'm doing the work myself and want it done right, if I'm going to do something I want it done right and reliable

I don't see a turbo kit cheaper then a s-trim setup... Turbo, waste gate, bov, boost controller, fab hot side, down pipe, EFI system, fuel system

Supercharger, bypass valve, bracket, pulleys, tweecer, fuel system, there's just less head achs with a blower then turn turbo right now because of all the blower kits out there

Than again didn't he say he was doing a rear mount? That would be the cheapest way out I think

indeed! I would bet that you could do a remote mount for slightly over $1k if you do the work yourself.

Whoops! Yes a believe a rear mount is allot cheaper then putting one in the engine bay, but if I were doing it I'd want itin the engine bay... 1000 bucks, I dunno we still need to think about engine management, fuel system, and depending on what turbo and gate and controller you use u can spend 1000 right there, heck you can spend 1000 on a turbo alone

This stuff is damn expensive!! Lol

OP, do u already have a ignition and fuel system? 2 pump trick? What do u have done to your truck already?

Whoops! Yes a believe a rear mount is allot cheaper then putting one in the engine bay, but if I were doing it I'd want itin the engine bay... 1000 bucks, I dunno we still need to think about engine management, fuel system, and depending on what turbo and gate and controller you use u can spend 1000 right there, heck you can spend 1000 on a turbo alone

This stuff is damn expensive!! Lol

OP, do u already have a ignition and fuel system? 2 pump trick? What do u have done to your truck already?

I would say it would have to be simple to be $1k. I'm talking inline pump, btm for timing, fmu, bosch bypass valve, simple wastegate, etc. It wouldn't be optimum, but it would work and be a lot of extra power. I remember guitarbuddy built a set-up for pretty cheap that worked well together.

You can def do turbo on stock ecu with tweecer or fmu just like a blower.
Turbo $600
Wastegate $160
BOV $80
No controller needed just stay on spring pressure
You would need more fuel system for a SC than a Turbo!!
Intercooler kit or methanol or none. Its the same as a SC!!
Fabbing the hot side can be done a bunch of different ways!!

Turbo $600
Wastegate $160
BOV $80

If there is anyone to believe on this it would be you :tu

Turbo $600
Wastegate $160
BOV $80

I'm bringing my truck to the Texas lab right now :p

Bring it to me! I am fixing to do a Gen2 twin build just to show peeps you can have twins for the same price as putting an aftter market blower, headers, exhaust on it. And Cams for cams and converter for converter is all the same price!

I am also fixing to do a single turbo Gen1 on an extreme budget!! Hopefully it'll be stock to 11s for $3000. Thats the goal!

okay Well my truck is mostly stock i have a cold air intake retard timing magna flow mufflers and no more smog stuff. what all would i have to do with the speed density if i turbo it?

Low cost rear mount turbo

I fabbed a low cost rear mount turbo on my 94 L a while ago. I built pipes that bolted to flange after stock converters. Mounted turbo under front of bed on right side. No muffler and it was quiet enough for street. I ran 13.80 using a FMU and btm. Everything else was stock. BTW this was at a 3400 ft track.

Only things I didn't like were air intake low that was not real practical for driving in the rain. And the oil pump was real noisy. I had to be careful about getting into boost at part throttle (under load) because FMU only worked well at full throttle. Finding a way to tune computer is the real challenge for low cost turbo.

I think pics are still in my gallery. I miss my Lightning!

I fabbed a low cost rear mount turbo on my 94 L a while ago. I built pipes that bolted to flange after stock converters. Mounted turbo under front of bed on right side. No muffler and it was quiet enough for street. I ran 13.80 using a FMU and btm. Everything else was stock. BTW this was at a 3400 ft track.

Only things I didn't like were air intake low that was not real practical for driving in the rain. And the oil pump was real noisy. I had to be careful about getting into boost at part throttle (under load) because FMU only worked well at full throttle. Finding a way to tune computer is the real challenge for low cost turbo.

I think pics are still in my gallery. I miss my Lightning!

A Tweecer with larger injectors would have been your ticket for sure. You would have been able to set the wide open throttle tables at a much lower throttle angle to make is safe in part throttle.

A Tweecer with larger injectors would have been your ticket for sure. You would have been able to set the wide open throttle tables at a much lower throttle angle to make is safe in part throttle.

Problem I found with the tweecer and turbo was the part throttle boost. Its either an on/off switch it would load up real bad and be super rich or would get real lean then dump fuel making it almost fall on its face. It works great at wot but on a daily driver I personally didnt like it.

Back