20x10 with 295s on a NON-L F150

jimsford

Hi guys. Please excuse me for coming to your site and asking this, but I'm getting no help from anyone on the other boards.
I have a 2003 F150 supercab 2wd. I want to put 20x10 Boyd Smoothie II on it with either 295/45s or 295/40s (not sure what to get). Now I know a lot of you run this size tires and wheels without any problems, but I'm not sure if this will work on a non Lightning F150. Does anyone have any ideas? It seems to me that if it will fit a Lightning it will fit my truck, but I've heard of stranger things happening. If they will fit, will I have to mod anything to make it work? Also, do I want the 45 series tires or the 40? And last, what backspacing do I want? 6.5"?
Thanks for any help you could provide me with.

how lowered is your truck. if its lowered a lot it may not work but it should most definately work

295/45/20 tires will give you a slightly better ride over the 40 series. And yes, you need to get the wheels with a 6.5" backspace.

Here's my old truck with 20 x 9.5 wheels and 295/45/20 tires.
47b3cf38b3127cce820ff39bba0d0000001610

Last edited:
So I should be ok with a 20x10 with 295/45 in the front? I can put up with some minor rubbing.
RobG, thanks for the info, I wouldn't think an extra .5" would cause any problems espscially since you had the same size tire. Did you experience any rubbing?

You guys might not know this, but will I have to switch to the Lightning steering stops? I've heard people have had to do this to run Lightning wheels, but never heard if its required for any other aftermarket wheel.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appriciate it. :tu:

My wheels rubbed the sway bar lock to lock BUT I had a big a$$ Hotchkis front sway bar. I run 22" x 10" wheels on my Harley ( same 6.5" backsapce ) and I have no rubbing problems what so ever.

Those little bump stops are available from Ford racing and I would definitely pick up a set.

For what it is worth - 99 Lightning

I have 20x10 AR TT IIs with a 6 inch BS and have no problems at all.
The wheels do nOT stick out too far and the wheel looks nice and deep. the 9.5 inch stock wheel depending on style has a 5 5/8 or 6.0 inch BS on the Lightning

Back