Restoring Air Conditioning on a 1993

93raven

Since the motor is currently out of my truck getting rebuilt I was thinking now would be a good time to fix the ac.

When I got the truck the ac was partially deleted, condenser gone, various hoses sliced, compressor running as a bypass with no hoses plugged into it.

As great as vent windows are, I'm guessing vent windows + AC would be even better.

Does anyone have a exploded diagram for the stock system?

I've also heard that it's better to swap to 1994 and up HVAC parts because some of the 1993 hoses are no longer produced.

Any advice would be appreciated.

This is what remains of the stock system currently.

IMG_3859.jpg

Check out the pdf file in the 1st post, you should be able to get all part#'s there as well as R134a conversion parts.

Thanks, I also found this image on lmc trucks website. Helps visualize what is going on when everything is gutted.

Screenshot 2024-04-28 185337.jpg

Just trying to figure out if the HVAC box is the same between a 93 and a 94. The EVAP Cores look similar but slightly different.

It looks like the lines are available for a 93 in a few places.

I can't get R12 where I live so I'm probably gonna go with the 94 and up stuff.

Shopping around looks like a complete setup is gonna run me $400 plus whatever the AC shop wants to charge the system

Like others have said, don't waste time on the 93 system. Can you make it work well with 134a? Yes. My 90 with all 90 parts will freeze you out of it on 134a. But if you aren't able to tinker with it yourself to get it working correctly it will cost you a fortune in experimentation at a shop to get it done. If I had to start from scratch with a new system I would be putting the 94 and up parts on.

You DON'T want to "restore" the '93 system - you want the '94-96/7 system. Read this page:

(click this text)
Good point, I hadn't considered just robbing a complete system out of a junkyard truck.

The way the yards are around me I wouldn't be surprised if the price + my time pulling the stuff exceeded the cost of new parts.

Pick and Pull vs Rock Auto Prices on stuff.

jyac.jpg

Rock Auto.jpg
There's one independently owned yard around here but you gotta catch the guy in a good mood

Last edited:
If your budget can handle it, just go new/reman. There's nothing worse than putting used parts on a system only to have it fail, then you're out freon, oil, labor etc. Kind of like going to the junkyard to get a trans cooler, no thank you...

If your budget can handle it, just go new/reman. There's nothing worse than putting used parts on a system only to have it fail, then you're out freon, oil, labor etc. Kind of like going to the junkyard to get a trans cooler, no thank you...
^^^^This. Get new parts and know they will either be good or covered by a warranty. The only caution I have with Rock Auto is that their return window has been shrinking lately. If you buy parts to install when you put the truck back together you may be SOL if something doesn't fit because they won't take it back.

Pick and Pull vs Rock Auto Prices on stuff.
You wouldn't be buying everything on your PnP list - you'd only buy the first one: convert/changeover. OR you'd buy some of the others, but you don't need ducts. And if you get a compressor, that should include the clutch, so you wouldn't buy that used, either.

But if you're buying new, buy Ford/MC whenever possible, as linked on the page I posted.

Went up the the junkyard today and got blessed by the junkyard gods with this 94 Bronco, mostly dismantled already.

IMG_3873.jpg

There was a ton of stuff in the back of the truck, shortblock, gt40p heads and intake, e7 heads.

Looks like someone just threw in the towel on a long term project.

Does it still have refrigerant pressure? How much, and how much did it cost? Did you get all this?

(click this text)

Did you also get the hood latch support?

(click this text)

These will also benefit it:

(click this text)

(click this text)

It's not super-easy (without silicone grease on the grommet), but you'll need to transfer your truck's original wiring into the later blower box. While you're messing with it, you might want to add some wiring...

(click this text)

And technically, you should splice the high-pressure switch into the clutch circuit, but that's easy.

(click this text)

Last edited:
I got the box for the firewall and the hood latch mount. My lightning already has the plastic diverters on the core support.

I'm not paying them a dime for an Evaporator core and accumulator that's been exposed to elements and open air.

Funny thing is my credit card got compromised after shopping at that Pick and Pull, someone spent 200 bucks at a strip club.

Good to know that the wiring will need to be swapped to the new box.

I'm saying the only thing on that truck was the hvac box, condensor and acumulator. Everything else was gone.

Just FYI
Number 4 in the LMC diagram

That line is different in a Lighting comparted to a standard 5.0 and 5.8 truck

It's a small difference, but a difference none the less.

I did end up finding the part number for the "correct" AC line.
I'll look back in my notes and find it

I'm saying the only thing on that truck was the hvac box, condensor and acumulator. Everything else was gone.
Then you'll need to buy all those parts. None of the '93 refrigerant system parts will fit. The first link I posted is one of my '93 trucks that I bought most of those parts new, and it has PNs & links to them.

I'll probably try the other junkyard near me to see if I can find a charged assembly, if not I'll just get all new stuff

Just FYI
Number 4 in the LMC diagram

That line is different in a Lighting comparted to a standard 5.0 and 5.8 truck

It's a small difference, but a difference none the less.

I did end up finding the part number for the "correct" AC line.
I'll look back in my notes and find it
Do you think the line that LMR sells is correct for the lightning? My truck will probably never be perfect so as long as the standard 5.8 line reaches I'll probably have to get that.

I'll probably try the other junkyard near me to see if I can find a charged assembly, if not I'll just get all new stuff

Do you think the line that LMR sells is correct for the lightning? My truck will probably never be perfect so as long as the standard 5.8 line reaches I'll probably have to get that.
It will "work" It does interfere with the TB air inlet tube iirc.
The position of the inline muffler/accumulator is in a different spot.

The circled area is different.
Can't see it on the Lightning, but it's under the tube

Attachments

• Lightning ac line.jpg
    Lightning ac line.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 9
  • std F150 ac line.jpg
    std F150 ac line.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 8
Back