March 2011 TOTM-Congratulations to Wes "wd13" Daiprai ! (NLOC#2199)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skritch

March 2011 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Wes (wd13) Daiprai ! (NLOC #2199)

From the “Show Me” state of Missouri comes this month’s Truck of the Month. As a “true blue” Ford fanatic and preferring to own a vehicle different from the masses Wes chose the Lightning for his “go-fast” fix. Then he chose another one.....and added a Harley Davidson Edition for good measure ! The one featured this month is his black truck that Wes has loaded with parts and pieces to get it down the quarter mile in short order ! While not together at the moment, because as Wes puts it; enough is never enough, the truck will no doubt be ready for the track when the winter snows give way to warmer and dryer weather. Have a read about his obsession then join in the congratulations to Wes Daiprai !

5491407528_6851678c76_o.jpg

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

I've always been a truck guy and Ford fanatic. I also have an almost uncontrollable urge to go fast. I’m also the guy who doesn't want average nor do I want something that everyone else has. When I first saw the Gen 2 Lightning in '99, my jaw dropped. The truck was everything I wanted. It had the looks and performance I craved, and best of all, my neighbor didn’t have one. Unfortunately for me, I was a senior in High school and the only chance I had at owning one was to win the lottery. Over the next couple of years I was able to get my Lightning fix here and there. A friend of mine was a salesman at a local Ford dealership. He would call me everytime they*got a new Lightning on the lot and I would take it for a spin. Finally in 2004, I bought one.

5491408312_d047a3fa15_b.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

I've always had a Ford truck (even a few Mustangs) in my stable. I was in the middle of an engine swap in a 1972 F-100 that I had when I found a ‘90 SS454 truck. I was in need of a good reliable truck at the time and this one was in great shape, not to mention cheap. So, I bought it. It wasn't a month before it had 150hp shot of nitrous on it to make up for what I felt it lacked. A friend of mine called one night saying I needed to come over, he'd bought a new truck that I had to check out. When I got there, I see a 2002 True Blue Lightning sitting in the drive. I was jealous! Not wanting to be out done on anything, and just knowing I had him covered with the blue jug I was hiding, I got him talked into a friendly race. Well.....Game over! I got spanked and headed home with my tail tucked.

5491408090_cb5302e12e_b.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

I currently own 2 Lightnings and a Harley truck (yes, Im obsessed). My pride and joy is a Black 2001. Its been through many transformations since I bought it in 2006. I bought the truck with a JLP long block and 2.3KB blower. Since then, its been changed almost completely. The shortblock was rebuilt, a 2.6KB was added along with a Powerflow plenum, complete fuel system, JLP Comp R exhaust, and countless other go fast mods. I guess the only thing I haven't changed on the whole truck has been the JLP transmission. Inside I've added the necessary gauges to keep an eye on things. I've also added an Expy console to give it an updated look. Finally, I had a 6pt roll bar installed to keep things legal at the track. Outside, the truck was kept clean and sleek. An Innovations cover, SS mirrors, roll pan and smooth steps were added along with a billet grill. JDM springs, QA1 shocks, Belltech shackles, and JLP long bars make up the suspension. The wheels have been another thing that have changed over and over. The truck is on its 5th set of street duty wheels. They are Centerline Matrix 5s. For track duty, a set of Bogart D10's get swapped on.

5491407918_e4f15eb28f_b.jpg

5490814767_0df39433fb_b.jpg

5491408194_67d7492abf_b.jpg

5490814495_523b549641_b.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

Haha! I have a lot of good stories. My most memorable was from my first 1/4 mile track outing with the truck. I had a few friends there who were anxious to see what the truck was about, and an announcer who was left a little more than tongue tied. I had recently been to an 1/8th mile track, so I knew pretty close to what the truck would run. My buddies didn't believe me saying there was no way a truck would run sub 7 second 1/8th mile times. Apparently the announcer felt the same way. He made a few remarks at my big slicks, lazy looking burn out, and quiet exhaust. He went on to announce "Not sure what he's trying to do with those big ol' slicks...He's gonna get eaten up by xxxx with the Mustang in the right lane". Well, needless to say, after he saw the 1.49 60ft flash up, then the 6.77 1/8th mile time, all that was heard was him stuttering. When I went through the traps running a 10.64, beating the Mustang, he simply said "ladies and gentleman, thats a fast truck!" That made my day.

5491407832_4806cc7b8e_o.jpg

5491407810_82867c899d_o.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I work as a Parts Manager for a local rental company. I also do a lot of side jobs and use that money to support my habit with the truck. I have a wonderful wife (Ange) who somehow puts up with me and does it with a smile, and 2 awesome kids (Morgan and Jarett). Jarett, my youngest, is quickly following in my footsteps with the same passion for fast wheels. ATV's have always had a part in my life and I've introduced both of my kids to that as well. I get a great sense of joy watching the two of them ride and seeing the excitement on their faces.

5491408266_299a9060cd_b.jpg

5490814533_6b88e6fb34_b.jpg

5491407662_5a7a5158cc_b.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I joined NLOC in May of 2006. I was online searching and researching mods for the truck when I found the site. I decided to become a member to help give back to a site that gave so much to me. I’ve learned a great deal since joining. I've also met a lot of great people and have made life long friendships because of it.

5491407980_852ba96a40_b.jpg

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

I don't have any suggestions. I think the site is great as it is.

5490814677_904a6faabb_b.jpg

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

wd13. Its my first and last initial coupled with the number I used in my ATV race days. I picked it because it was easy for me to remember and no one else was using it.

5491407692_952542c5ce_o.jpg

5490814247_f6ae4faefc_b.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

My future changes are actually in the works right now. The old mill was very impressive, making 732rwhp & 742ft/lbs and 832rwhp 894ft/lbs on a small shot. However, for some reason enough is never enough because right now the truck is out of service. Its getting a bigger and badder longblock. JLP's XR heads and cams, Custom R&R Billet H-beam rods, Cobra Jet crank shaft, Custom Diamond Pistons, Trick Intercooler, etc.
My goal is to get this thing into the 9's. Beyond that, I'd like to put a few more miles on it and really enjoy the truck.

5491407762_b13f68c824_o.jpg

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together?

A HUGE thank you to my wife for her support. Without her support and blessings, I would still be dreaming. I'd also like the thank Johnny and Sue of JLP. They've been nothing but great to me over the years and have gone above and beyond anything I've ever expected of them. Finally a thank you to Mike "Doodle" Chew for all the work he's done on this truck. Without all of his hard work and innovative thinking, I'd have nothing but a pile of parts in my garage.

5490814363_debbed821d_b.jpg

Congratulations to Wes and his 2001 Black Ford Lightning for Truck of the Month, March 2011 !

Last edited:
Hey Wes, here is the torch from Feb to Mar! lol Great looking truck and it puts down some great numbers! Congrats!!

Congrats Wes ! Great article and much deserved.....your attention to detail shows both on and off the track. Its been great to see" first hand " how great the truck performs at the track aswell as motivation for me to keep throwing money at mine :)

Nice to see you get this recognition. It was great that I got out to Lightningfest and got to meet you and see your trucks in action. I assume this one sports a driveshaft loop?:thumbup:

Jim

Sweet Congrates "Wes" nice running rig you got there. the color isn't bad either:thumbup::D:thumbup:

Thanks everyone for all the comments. Its an honor and a pleasure to be selected.

Nice to see you get this recognition. It was great that I got out to Lightningfest and got to meet you and see your trucks in action. I assume this one sports a driveshaft loop?:thumbup:

Jim
It was great meeting you too Jim. Im sure there will be many more events we can both attend and chat some more.
Driveshaft loop....whats that? :blink:
Yes, this truck has one. No skipped steps or expense spared on this truck.

congrats man awesome truck all except for the roll pan and those rims they are crappy and you should sell them immediately .....:eek:ldtu: to ME .....LOL

Congrats Wes, long time coming and well deserved. I suggested your truck several years back after I saw you guys at LFest.. :eek:ldtu::eek:ldtu:

Very nice truck. Who would have thought 10 years ago that 700+ rwhp wouldn't have been enough to satisfy any Gen II owner? :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back