Surge system

Required

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
With the new motor It looks like I’m going to need a surge tank. I read through some of the posts and have some ideas. Has anyone thought about or used the FiTech go fuel Force 50006 mini surge? Looks like it has its own return, non adjustable regulator I think.

That's really for a naturally aspirated LSx build. You're going to want more pump and less pressure.

That's really for a naturally aspirated LSx build. You're going to want more pump and less pressure.
My poor Quantum is dropping off - worked great with the old motor all the way to 12psi. But I’m pushing injector duty up enough the see I’m not going to make it back to 12. I went back to my big 3.3 pulley for now.

They make a dual 340-LPH version with boost referenced regulator, and say it can be used with aftermarket EFI. They aren’t as expensive as the Radium stuff, I like the construction of the unit.

I was curious if you thought it would in theory work as it’s designed, with the return and 58psi pre-set regulator pressure.

I see the theory behind it but the set fuel pressure at 58 is what's holding me back.

I run a single walbro 450 in a tank I made with no issues. And a walbro pump is cheap and known to be pretty reliable. They have the 525 now too.

A bunch of companies make surge tanks that can be used with large singles. check NUKE, deatschwerks, fuelab, etc, There are also a bunch of generic tanks available that could be outfitted with a good pump and run reliably.

I see the theory behind it but the set fuel pressure at 58 is what's holding me back.

I run a single walbro 450 in a tank I made with no issues. And a walbro pump is cheap and known to be pretty reliable. They have the 525 now too.

A bunch of companies make surge tanks that can be used with large singles. check NUKE, deatschwerks, fuelab, etc, There are also a bunch of generic tanks available that could be outfitted with a good pump and run reliably.

I’m looking at just doing a in tank Walbro F90000285 but thinking our module design isn’t going to like the fat bottom. Maybe a mustang style f-150 hybrid.

I don’t know where this will end up but I think I’m going to Frankenstein a 93 Mustang module “Hanger” style with a F-150 top hat using the Walbro hellcat 525. I have a Quantum module, stock module and two other top hat with the appropriate fittings wires etc.

So thinking this out I think that 525 will need more bigger wires, and maybe a bigger circuit breaker, anyone done a re-wire from the breaker panel back?

Mine is all Deatschwerks stuff - wasn't cheap, but they have a solid reputation. I'm using a single 350 lph. I'm so happy with it that my intention is to convert the red truck to a dual 350 tank. I already run dual 350 pumps (one full-time, one switches on at 105 kpa), but they're on a tank sump and tend to cavitate on hard stops with less than ~1/4 tank.

I just need to come up with a way to keep the surge tank filled in the absence of the factory pump. I really don't want to run another external pump to do it.

My logic says that once the surge tank is filled, it'll self fill by pulling from the sump. My concern is the sump being empty under hard stops and getting air in the surge tank that I can't get out without burping it again.

I picked up a Radium FSTr with a Walboro F90000274 on eBay. Relocated the washer tank and put it behind the radiator support. Nice that it has the built in regulator. One fuel line to the rail.
2c441860abe07be2f3ea3824cf38d068.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a Radium FSTr with a Walboro F90000274 on eBay. Relocated the washer tank and put it behind the radiator support. Nice that it has the built in regulator. One fuel line to the rail.
2c441860abe07be2f3ea3824cf38d068.jpg

So from the pressure fuel line to the FST then FST to rail? And you keep you rail mount regulator?

So from the pressure fuel line to the FST then FST to rail? And you keep you rail mount regulator?

I have factory supply and return lines connected to the FST. I have one single line going to my aftermarket rails. No return from the rails.

Attaching a crude sketch. I have not added the 2nd tank or the check valve to my truck yet.

If you are using factory rails, I guess you have to block off the return and would not use the oem regulator.
e36c4c674ccb77420169e8750d7c94a9.jpg

I have factory supply and return lines connected to the FST. I have one single line going to my aftermarket rails. No return from the rails.

Attaching a crude sketch. I have not added the 2nd tank or the check valve to my truck yet.

If you are using factory rails, I guess you have to block off the return and would not use the oem regulator.
e36c4c674ccb77420169e8750d7c94a9.jpg

I remember seeing the sketch now, I should have guessed you would have upgraded your rails.

I’m using factory rails with a Aeromotive regulator. So id have a dedicated return for the FST. I think I get what FMOS means by surging since the in tank has a check valve.

I’m going to see what I can do with this Walbro hellcat 525 and install kit this weekend. I won’t be able to use the plastic module housing but the metal hanger mustangs use is fairly close.

Thinking about it more, if I were using factory rails, I wouldn’t run the regulated version of the FST. I would run it like this.
6dd5947bad508ecd82a9ec781e2c0c65.jpg

Thinking about it more, if I were using factory rails, I wouldn’t run the regulated version of the FST. I would run it like this.
6dd5947bad508ecd82a9ec781e2c0c65.jpg

I didn’t notice the Radium FST single pump had 4 ports, that is a good option for me. A pump, four custom length lines with the proper ends and power.

With the factory rail and regulator in place a surge tank is a pretty easy system to rig up. stock tanks/lines go to surge tank instead of fuel rails. then the pressure from the surge tank go to the rail and the return from the rail goes back to the surge tank. basically just uses the surge tank as a standalone "fuel tank" and the stock pumps keep it full. Thats how i run mine and it allows for use of both tanks pretty easily.

With the factory rail and regulator in place a surge tank is a pretty easy system to rig up. stock tanks/lines go to surge tank instead of fuel rails. then the pressure from the surge tank go to the rail and the return from the rail goes back to the surge tank. basically just uses the surge tank as a standalone "fuel tank" and the stock pumps keep it full. Thats how i run mine and it allows for use of both tanks pretty easily.
I started reading instructions finally. It took a couple hours to source all the fittings, adapters and hoses. Found Radium’s diagram for reference. I don’t see a downside to going this way.

IMG_4473.png

Only downside is cost and the single point of failure for the pump (which you already live with if you have a single tank/pump). With mine, I installed it under the truck and tied into the factory system at the filter. I couldn't be happier with it. I may eventually install a second pump in the tank to eliminate the single point of failure aspect. Nothing fancy, just something I can switch on if the main pump craters.

Only downside is cost and the single point of failure for the pump (which you already live with if you have a single tank/pump). With mine, I installed it under the truck and tied into the factory system at the filter. I couldn't be happier with it. I may eventually install a second pump in the tank to eliminate the single point of failure aspect. Nothing fancy, just something I can switch on if the main pump craters.
What I was going to do with this and really need to get going on. make a hose to be able to connect the feed from the stock tank (fuel filter) that feeds the surge tank to the -10 I have running from the surge tank and keep it in the truck, so on the side of the road I could bypass the surge tank and just run off the stock in-tank pump. now this wouldn't be good for any more than normal driving but it would get me home. but hopefully that never happens as these aftermarket pumps have come a long way on reliability.

Oh yeah, that's a solid idea. On mine, I have a 180 fitting into the tank, and a straight fitting on the pump, so all I'd need is a 180 and a couple of unions.

Not as clean and easy as flipping a switch, but it'd get me home.

Back