Factory oil cooler. Worth Keeping?

93raven

IMG_3887.jpg

Are these actually effective in cooling the oil? or just another source for leaks

The block I'm rebuilding also came with one but its a different shape.

Honestly, I'd ditch it. In the parts finding guide there's part numbers for the radiator hoses with and without.

I would dump it. If you think about how it works it was really nothing more than a marketing gimmick anyway. Using 200 degree water to cool 250 degree oil really isn't effective. And unless you are going to tow something really heavy or flog it on a road course your oil won't get hot enough to need cooled anyway. If you do need an oil cooler there are better ways to do it.

It makes oil changes a little less messy...

Red truck's is long gone (turbo piping comes through the opening in the frame now, and it really didn't work well with the relocation kit I used for a while). White truck's is still there. I like that the oil drains perfectly through the opening instead of all over the frame. :)

Also, if you're using synthetic oil, there's practically no oil protection advantage at all from an oil cooler of any type.

Last edited:
Yeah, it is nice to have the oil filter straight up and down for changes.

It will be nicer to not spend 100 bucks on a lower radiator hose

'94/'95 trucks didn't get that neat little offset arrangement. The cooler was directly on the block and the filter mated to that. So, without the cooler, the filter goes directly to the block, and when you remove the filter, oil runs onto the front suspension crossmember.

It's a trivial thing really. If I ever have an issue with the cooler, I'll ditch it, not replace it.

I keep mine, ended up finding a direct replacement.
There are knock off ones out there also but the Perkins unit is top quality.

That's what i'm talking about. Looks like it would be easy enough to add back on after I drop the engine in.

I remove them from all my V8 trucks, and most that I work on. The direct-mount interferes with the oil pressure sender that makes the gauge work, which I consider more-important.

OilCoolers23a.jpg

Yeah, it is nice to have the oil filter straight up and down for changes.
On my 4.9L trucks, I barely lose a drop installing a pre-filled oil filter, or removing an old one. It mounts horizontally.
29PSFilter.JPG

Can't you just ditch the coolant part of it and screw the filter directly onto the adapter in its place?
The threads may not be the same. For the direct-mount, the block threads fit the big FL1A, but the adapter threads fit the little FL820S.
I can't even get the old one off the old block
I've never messed with that style, but I think you have to remove the cooler from the adapter before you can remove the adapter from the block. It should be a LOT easier if you clean the block & cooler assembly first.

Back