-->

Thread: I need some advise on a 351W build combo

Boys & their toys
    Name: Shawn

I need some advise on a 351W build combo

I have the opportunity to build a nice 351W for a client. First this build is for a '82 F-150 4x4 w/ C6 transmission. Second requirement is it has to remain daily drivable on regular pump gas, he would like to keep it 87 octane friendly. His block is a D9AE ( 2 piece rear main ) but I have a F4TE that could be used instead. We are looking at going roller cam & good heads with some shorty headers, dual plane intake & 4 barrel carb.

I'd like to use the F4 block but he kind of wants to keep his D9 block. Other than the one piece rear main & roller ready lifter valley are there any other reasons to not use the D9?

The next question is what heads, cam, rockers, intake work the best together.
    L1 Mods: Born on 6/01/93 181k+ miles w/ stock trans & FTVB & 4x4 pan, stock long block w/ 5.0 HO roller cam, Crane 1.7's roller rockers, Jacobs Ignition, Bassani headers, off-road X-pipe, Jones Exhaust mufflers, Napa Gold 6634 air filter, Flexlite 210 electric fans, Rancho torque arms, ART rotors, Aeromotive adj. FPR, 6 UltraLite guages, 12" Vega between the seats in a custom box & Gen 2 wheels w/ Nitto 404's, Eaton L/S, FR 4.10's, & alum. cover installed.

Fore!
    Name: David

I believe the older blocks were a little better but cant remember the years.

All of the info to be provided really depends on intended use.

I would say if street strip style motor, i would go with the f4te block with the provision for hyd lifters.

I had a carb’d 351 bored .040 over in a 91 f150 sleeper with the following set up that worked perfect, was fast and was very comfortable as a daily driver:

Edelbrock performer rpm heads
    Edelbrock performer rpm air gap intake
    Comp cam 268 duration(not hyd roller)
    650 Demon carb
    4.10 gears
    2400 converter with AOD

Cam selection is going to be dependent on rear gear, converter selection and again, intended use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1995 Black Lightning #772-3600 CircleD converter, TFS Stage2 cam, AFR 195's,1.7 rr's, MAC 1-3/4 Longtubes with flowmasters, TFS R intake, 90mm TB, 60lb/hr Deka's, Aeromotive in tank 340lph, Winstar E-Fans, ASP underdrive pulleys, SVO Smog delete, 180* thermo, 4x4 pan and SVO rear girdle, Punisher custom street VB, Megasquirt2 with Tranny tuned with twEECer

Name: Steven

The only real advantage to me is the F4TE block can use the less expensive factory style hydraulic roller lifters.

Hard to beat the rpm air gap intake for this type of combo. The heads would depend on his budget. Cam would depend on his intended use. Then pick the rear gear and converter to match the combo.

Name: Rick

That 91 is a beauty.

Fore!
    Name: David

Quote Originally Posted by Red one View Post
    That 91 is a beauty.
    Thanks bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1995 Black Lightning #772-3600 CircleD converter, TFS Stage2 cam, AFR 195's,1.7 rr's, MAC 1-3/4 Longtubes with flowmasters, TFS R intake, 90mm TB, 60lb/hr Deka's, Aeromotive in tank 340lph, Winstar E-Fans, ASP underdrive pulleys, SVO Smog delete, 180* thermo, 4x4 pan and SVO rear girdle, Punisher custom street VB, Megasquirt2 with Tranny tuned with twEECer

Name: Jonathan

In my 67 F100 I ran 8.5:1 (9.5 would have been a better choice) pistons, Eld Perf RPM dual plane with a 600CFM Edelbrock carb. and a comp cams RV truck cam with stock heads was a great daily. I drove that damn truck everywhere including from MT to AZ.

Might be able to score some GT40P heads out of the junk yard for a cheap head upgrade.

You can still run retro hyd-rollers in that D block

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Motor was replaced by PO at 87K with a Ford Lightning Reman long block. Still stock
    Engine Management: Stinger Performance PiMPxs

Trans has street edition Punisher Valve body with Quick4 Trans controller

2020/2021 Plans:

Install the CAS that has been sitting on the shelf so that I can install CNP.
    Install TorqStorm Supercharger and support hardware
    Upgrade to 6R80 trans with Quick 6 controller

Boys & their toys
    Name: Shawn

My understanding is this will be a daily driver, 4x4 work truck. Sounds like trips out into the woods for firewood or to the local lumber yard for construction materials will be quite likely. May occasionally pull a trailer, see muddy roads & deep snow. This truck will be travelling from ND to PA where it will spend most of it's time but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't expected to make the PA to ND & back trip once a year to see his mother.
    L1 Mods: Born on 6/01/93 181k+ miles w/ stock trans & FTVB & 4x4 pan, stock long block w/ 5.0 HO roller cam, Crane 1.7's roller rockers, Jacobs Ignition, Bassani headers, off-road X-pipe, Jones Exhaust mufflers, Napa Gold 6634 air filter, Flexlite 210 electric fans, Rancho torque arms, ART rotors, Aeromotive adj. FPR, 6 UltraLite guages, 12" Vega between the seats in a custom box & Gen 2 wheels w/ Nitto 404's, Eaton L/S, FR 4.10's, & alum. cover installed.

Vrrooooooooooom
    Name: Jeff

Size the converter, carb and the cam right, and you can daily drive pretty much any combo. Those three items are what really make the manners.
    #74 in 1995, Vermillion
    Tweaked and Turbocharged
    10.81@126.7