-->
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuel system recommendations?

Name: James

Fuel system recommendations?

Iíve got a paint guy, Iíve got a transmission guy and Iím combing through details with my engine builder after years of saving....but itís getting down to all the details of the build. Iím staying a 2 tank stock setup and picked up 42# injectors for my 408 stroker build but Iím just diving into the fuel management system (along with the battle of keeping my gt40 intakes for nostalgia without chocking my build down if anyone has recommendations for that as well!) but my question is what recommendations for fuel pumps and lines do you guys have? Iím buying parts like crazy these last few weeks and replacing a lot of stuff exterior and performance but I want my 93 to be strong an not lacking in this. This will be run off pump gas and no I canít see myself spending thousands on only the fuel system but I donít want to cheap out on it either. My starting budget was 17k and Iíve expanded to 25k to save this truck but 80% is tuner, paint, trans and motor. Plan is 500rwhp at this point. Running somewhere around 10.5:1 or 10:1 nothing lower or higher.

Name: Joe Mama

I made 351whp with the stock in tank pump and lines and have heard it is good for over 400. I now have an aeromotive 340 phantom in tank with 6an feed and return. But I eliminated the front tank. What Iíd do in order to keep 2 tanks is try it as is. If it runs out of fuel Iíd wire it so that maybe at wot it turns on both pumps together. I assume it can be wired into the tps.

What efi are you using?

I honestly donít think youíll make 500whp through a gt40. My buddy did make 500 with a 396 but that was with a super victor efi and a stout solid roller cam. When I had the GT40 it made leak hp at 4700 and dropped significantly after 5000. And thatís at 357ci

Vrrooooooooooom
    Name: Jeff

Gotta agree, I don't see the GT40 making 500 rwhp on a naturally aspirated combo. Throat and plenum are too small for the displacement, runners are too long for the kind of cam that's going to require.

On my truck, I pump the front tank into the rear using the selector switch and then have a dual 350lph external pump arrangement and a sumped rear tank. If I had to do it over again, I'd feed a surge tank from whichever tank is selected and let the surge tank supply the high horsepower flow.
    #74 in 1995, Vermillion
    Tweaked and Turbocharged
    10.81@126.7

Can I overcome the low flow by porting the lower and maybe adding a supercharger like a bd11a to my setup? I know it will cost more than a upper/lower setup but in my honest opthe Vic jr lower and different upper are just not my thing on these trucks...plus fighting back orders on parts is a pain from trickflow or whoever Iíd choose.

Missing My Lightning!
    Name: Brian

Yes,boost will get you to 500hp with the GT40
    10.26/134 Stock Shortblock...900HP Timebomb! SOLD,But I'm still hanging around.

Quote Originally Posted by Briansshop View Post
    Yes,boost will get you to 500hp with the GT40
    Thanks Brian, do you have a recommendation for what s/c to run? Iím not trying to go overkill but Iím reading the bd11a was a easy bolt on but wondering if itís a little undersized for my setup of a 408. I keep running into problems of very old info since everything has progressed so far.

Name:

Quote Originally Posted by JamesJ View Post
    Thanks Brian, do you have a recommendation for what s/c to run? Iím not trying to go overkill but Iím reading the bd11a was a easy bolt on but wondering if itís a little undersized for my setup of a 408. I keep running into problems of very old info since everything has progressed so far.
    Bd11a will be quite undersized for the 408. If I were you I would go with a vortech s trim at very least.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    T/W heads, Comp XFI cam, PI 2600 stall, VSR next gen billet 78/75 turbo, id1050x injectors, and a Stock 200k mile shortblock with a Pimpxshift

Personal best 1/8 mile: 6.53 @ 103.4 mph 1.47 60'

Missing My Lightning!
    Name: Brian

Sorry,I got nothing for SC info,but there's plenty members that will.
    10.26/134 Stock Shortblock...900HP Timebomb! SOLD,But I'm still hanging around.

Name: why??

S trim with a 3.15 ultra grip upper pulley and a 8" lower. Spin the motor to 6k and all the supporting needs for that blower will get you 500whp.... but it's all going to be in the tune for it to stay alive.
    A victim of Murphy's Law...24/7

Saint Andrewís Cross aka; The U.S> Confederate Flag! It was not for slavery, it was for freedom from high taxation by The Federal Government!

Quote Originally Posted by lightn95 View Post
    S trim with a 3.15 ultra grip upper pulley and a 8" lower. Spin the motor to 6k and all the supporting needs for that blower will get you 500whp.... but it's all going to be in the tune for it to stay alive.
    Oh jeez, so a 3k adder to the build just to save the intake for nostalgia. Dang I really wanted to have my plaque left on there, something about these aftermarket just kills me. Oh well better that then super over budget or underpowered

Name: Jonathan

I had my upper and lower ported by Big Dog porting. It was cheaper than buying an aftermarket upper and lower. The down side is it took 4 months to get it back. Engine is still being built, so I don't know how much improvement was made. They ported the TB opening to 75mm and worked the lower to match the heads. Cost was under $400. They usually blast and repaint them and send them back.
    Motor was replaced by PO at 87K with a Ford Lightning Reman long block. Still stock
    Engine Management: Stinger Performance PiMPxs

Trans has street edition Punisher Valve body with Quick4 Trans controller

2020/2021 Plans:

Install the CAS that has been sitting on the shelf so that I can install CNP.
    Install TorqStorm Supercharger and support hardware
    Upgrade to 6R80 trans with Quick 6 controller

Shaunditty
    Name: Shaun

If I had a 408 stroker and wanted 500hp+ with the gt40 Iíd add a Vortech V1 V2 or v3 (S, Si or T trim) or Procharger P1sc or D1sc. Possibly a Novi 2000 or similar. Iíd sump my rear tank, mount a rail mounted pump and filter and run a new supply and return hoses. Ditch the front tank. Matt Hill makes a sumped tank Do a little research on blowers. Youíll find there are CW and CCW and some require a oil supply and drain line and some are self contained. There are no kits so youíll need to put it together yourself. 42# injectors are probably too small. Fuel requirements for NA vs Boosted are different too. Iím just shooting from the hip with my answers too. Just something to think about and Iím sure get others chiming in!
    1995 #1768. 179k Miles, Stock motor, JBA 1-5/8 long tube headers, X pipe, Summit chambered mufflers/dumps at axle. Vortech V1 S-trim, 8-rib 6.87Ē crank/3.33Ē blower pulleys, 12:1 Vortech FMU, Walbro 255 (GSL392), Kirban adj FPR, Tial BOV, MSD 6btm, NGK TR6 .030Ē gap, Punisher VB, traction bars, EGR/Smog pump delete, Fkex-a-lite 295 fan kit.

Name: Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by shaunditty View Post
    There are no kits so youíll need to put it together yourself.
    Not exactly Shaun. TorqStorm is a complete kit ready to bolt on with the exception of piping but they do supply everything else. It is a very well made kit, hand made in Michigan. Supports up to 750HP. $3K
    https://torqstorm.com/product/ford_351_windsor_supercharger_kit/
    Motor was replaced by PO at 87K with a Ford Lightning Reman long block. Still stock
    Engine Management: Stinger Performance PiMPxs

Trans has street edition Punisher Valve body with Quick4 Trans controller

2020/2021 Plans:

Install the CAS that has been sitting on the shelf so that I can install CNP.
    Install TorqStorm Supercharger and support hardware
    Upgrade to 6R80 trans with Quick 6 controller

Shaunditty
    Name: Shaun

Torqstorm too! Lol
    1995 #1768. 179k Miles, Stock motor, JBA 1-5/8 long tube headers, X pipe, Summit chambered mufflers/dumps at axle. Vortech V1 S-trim, 8-rib 6.87Ē crank/3.33Ē blower pulleys, 12:1 Vortech FMU, Walbro 255 (GSL392), Kirban adj FPR, Tial BOV, MSD 6btm, NGK TR6 .030Ē gap, Punisher VB, traction bars, EGR/Smog pump delete, Fkex-a-lite 295 fan kit.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT1077 View Post
    I had my upper and lower ported by Big Dog porting. It was cheaper than buying an aftermarket upper and lower. The down side is it took 4 months to get it back. Engine is still being built, so I don't know how much improvement was made. They ported the TB opening to 75mm and worked the lower to match the heads. Cost was under $400. They usually blast and repaint them and send them back.
    Where are these guys located? I donít mess with FB so Iíll have to get my buddy to do the messaging. I looked at the page though seems very intriguing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast