-->
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Engine Swap?

Name: Jamie

Thatís why I say the PiMPxshift is the best bet because there are dozens of guys who have gone this route and that means there is help.

With the Holley & Quick 4 your going to go pay someone to rewire your truck, then pay them to tune it, then pay them everything you want to change anything (Sounds like you should just keep your wallet at their shop)

Thatís all money that has nothing to do with actual parts for your truck.

I know itís scary but trust me weíre not all electrical engineers, weíre just regular guys just like you.

Vrrooooooooooom
    Name: Jeff

The Holley is no more or less difficult than Tunerstudio once it's installed. All the principles are the same. It just looks different. I've been jumping back and forth between the two a lot lately doing some tuning for other people.

The big difference is the installation. And the awesome support that we get from Stinger, of course.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    #74 in 1995, Vermillion
    Tweaked and Turbocharged
    10.81@126.7

Name: Greg

I thought about this a few months ago. A 7.3 with a manual trans would be fun in a Gen I. But, it looks like I'd be into the whole project for $35k+, counting the cost of a decent truck. Then, what's it worth when it's completed? If I ever decided to sell it, what would it bring?

For way less money, I could buy a regular cab SRT-10 Ram, throw a Paxton on it, drive around for years, then sell it for much less than the total cost to build the Lightning. I love Gen I Lightnings, but it's hard to argue with not only the power numbers but also the financial reality of both options.

3rd engine in 50 miles!!!
    Name: Chuck

I think most people here have spent multiples of what their truck is worth on their trucks. I also believe that is the case with most any "toy" vehicle, my case its more about what I can afford not what will the truck be worth.

Paying someone for their expertise shouldn't be something to be ashamed of.

I still don't see any real differences from my point of view between Holley & PimpXshift. Both need to be wired, hooked up, tuned. Regardless, I really feel like Im in a bit over my head at this point so why not start over.
    Chuck P (NLOC#138) 1993#3951- 393 Stroker, lowered, custom paint, Mass Air conversion, etc. - The disaster train rolls on... but looks like there might be light at the end of the tunnel
    -Engine being rebuilt as of June 2020! Considering my options
    SOLD- 1999 and 2002 Gen 2 Lightning's

Make NLOC Great Again
    Name: Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by lightngsvt View Post
    I think most people here have spent multiples of what their truck is worth on their trucks. I also believe that is the case with most any "toy" vehicle, my case its more about what I can afford not what will the truck be worth.

I still don't see any real differences from my point of view between Holley & PimpXshift. Both need to be wired, hooked up, tuned. Regardless, I really feel like Im in a bit over my head at this point so why not start over.
    Well itís certainly your truck to do as you wish. But I fell youíre this || close to getting it going. Now youíre wiping the slate clean. What does your current setup lack that you want? Answer is youíll never know because it hasnít been given a chance.

Anyway weíll be here to help best we can either way.
    1995 Black #2127
    Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, MS3/3X, blah blah
    http://www.buildpics.org/

My truck's saga
    https://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthr...-come-together

Find the NLOC on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/nloc.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond_B View Post
    Well itís certainly your truck to do as you wish. But I fell youíre this || close to getting it going. Now youíre wiping the slate clean. What does your current setup lack that you want? Answer is youíll never know because it hasnít been given a chance.

Anyway weíll be here to help best we can either way.
    Wow, that is one heck of a well-thought-out and nice reply. . You sir are a class act.
    Chuck P (NLOC#138) 1993#3951- 393 Stroker, lowered, custom paint, Mass Air conversion, etc. - The disaster train rolls on... but looks like there might be light at the end of the tunnel

Name: Jamie

I totally agree.

I wouldnít be ashamed either, I just try and do as much as I can myself to save money (for other mods) and also to learn new things along with challenging myself. I still pay engine builders to build my engines because itís something I just canít do myself.

I still don't see any real differences from my point of view between Holley & PimpXshift. Both need to be wired, hooked up, tuned.
    That I donít agree with. Yes the do both have to be tuned but the PiMPxshift is using the stock wiring (have to move a few pins and wire up the wide band) but you donít need a new engine harness. As for the ECU you just put it where the stock ECU goes. The Holley has to be mounted somewhere and then you need to fully wire it up running all new wires to where you decided to find a spot to mount it. The Quick 4 also needs to be mounted somewhere and again wired up.

As far as tuning, yes they both need to be tuned so that is similar.

Vrrooooooooooom
    Name: Jeff

The financial aspects of these swaps is why so many people use LS motors. Get a junkyard pull out, spend $1500 addressing the valve train and freshening it up, throw some boost at it, and you have a reliable 700+ hp combo - for maybe $5K total with motor mounts, exhaust, turbo, tuner, etc. (I put an LS into an S-10 Blazer and have helped on a few other conversions, so I'm pretty familiar with it).

The part of the Godzilla that would concern me the most if I were in your shoes would be that you're in uncharted territory. With a Windsor and the PiMPxShift, you can stand on the shoulders of giants since there's a deep knowledge base to draw from.

Like Raymond said, you're currently, literally, ten hours of solid effort and (relatively) little additional financial investment from having a running, drivable combo. With boost, and especially since you have a '93, you're going to eventually have to have a transmission build of some level. It doesn't have to be a full-on billet, whizbang, unbreakable upgrade since you're not going to beat on the truck that hard, but it will need 4R100 internals. But the solution there is don't put the supercharger on it right away. Take your time, enjoy getting your truck out and basking in the respect of having a great, rare, classic vehicle.
    #74 in 1995, Vermillion
    Tweaked and Turbocharged
    10.81@126.7

Name: Gary

Engine Swap?

I would love to put the 7.3 into something! I think it would be a cool project.

Even if you have the skills, time is the hard part for me. Since I finally got my new engine Iíve spent countless hrs measuring, milling, installing, uninstalling, doing more machine work, etc. Sadly I only have the lower intake on, one engine mount, and a few pulleys. More hrs still researching and ordering stuff. The only thing different is that itís a dart block with different heads. I enjoy doing the work. But I didnít anticipate so much resistance with so little changes.

Doing your own work saves money and is rewarding, but being realistic about how much time you can give it each week and what that means for the total timeline of your project is difficult.

Pretending that money is no object. 2 yrs from now you own 2 trucks, one with your Windsor set up boosted and expertly tuned and one with the 7.3. When your buddy comes over youíll pop the hood on the Godzilla truck, eww and aww, talk about driving it anywhere. But when he wants a ride...........youíll grab the keys to the Windsor!
    After a little bit of time passes you trust that either one is worthy of driving across the country but one is a bit more fun to drive.
    Especially if you put the same amount of money and time into both trucks.
    Thatís the way I see it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BlackFlareSide; 05-04-2021 at 07:12 AM.

Name: Travis

In the (not so far) future there will be more steady information about the godzilla and the possibility of "junk yard" take outs as well which will make that market flourish with swaps and combos. It already seems like a great platform for the few setups that are out there. We've seen it in the LS and now the Coyote market. You can go buy a $1500 f150 coyote. a $1500 power pack and do a budget coyote swap in just about anything these days for a reasonable buck. The godzilla may not be as plentiful in a "junkyard" now or even in the future but there time will come when they are more reasonable than brand new pricing and the swaps and knowledge of them will be out there. At the end of the day a majority of us guys seem to stick with the ol' windsor and I can't speak for the other guys but I'm not considering ditching this old combo for something more "modern". They just seem to work. You may sacrifice some MPG's over say a coyote but the variation of combos lets you create the combo that drives you the most. Whether you want that low end towing torque or that high end screaming HP. the right combo of parts on these old motors can get you there.

With the time/money you have invested in your current combo its not worth giving up just yet. once you get thru the last of the headaches and you can cruise it around the block with out any bugs you can reassess you thoughts and I'd takes some bets that you'll have quite the smile on your face.

1994 Lightning #3780
    Wilson Speed
    BorgWarner S476sxe - Stock block - TFS 11R - TFS stage 1 cam - PIMPXS - Long Bars - TKO 600 5 spd

You all make good, reasoned points. The drivability and reliability of a near-stock OEM setup (Godzilla) is what is so tempting. But as pointed out, the cost and the unknowns are the low points. Maybe I'll save the Godzilla swap for my Fox Body, who knows? I recently discovered a shop near me where the owner used to work in PD at Ford and he knows Brian Wolfe, so he could be a very good resource for a Godzilla project. You're probably right that if the truck and I could drive it that it could change my outlook and expectations for the better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2