-->
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My Mom's 1986 Ford Crown Victoria

Name:

Work went limp around noon; so I went outside and cleared the snow off of the Crown Vic; still had about 16" on top of it. Fortunately, it didn't tear the tarp; but I will get a new one anyways as it's 3 years old and getting stringy. Since it was balmy out; I dug out a little work area so I can do a little work on it during the weekend; if I am motivated to do so.

When I came back inside and saw that nothing was going on work-wise; I went into the basement and played with my Wirefy crimper that I got a month ago. Up until this point; I have been crimping with channel locks; and since my hands are not as strong as they were when I was young; I felt it was time to upgrade. After the first test crimp; I have to say that I should have gotten this tool decades ago. Would have made my (hack) wiring jobs much easier and functional. Now I want to learn how to assemble harness connectors so I can clean up the wiring in the Crown Vic.

Name:

I discovered over the weekend that catch cans should be disconnected and the original hose/lines reconnected during the winter months. I had bought some cheap Amazon catch cans for both my Grand Marquis and my Mom's Explorer. The instructions stated that the catch cans be disconnected during the winter months when temperatures reach the freezing point and below. They didn't give a reason why; so I surmised that any condensation that would normally be burnt/boiled away in the warmer months; could freeze and clog the can during the winter. Made sense to me. So I went out to look at my Aunt's 2008 Saturn Vue (3.6L GM V6); which I had previously installed a catch can and discovered that indeed the condensation had built up, froze, and clogged the catch can. So I removed it and put a spare pcv tube I bought (in case of this type of scenario) in its place for now. So I left the catch can by the furnace to warm it up; that was Sunday night. Yesterday I checked it and the oil/water froth was still in there; so I sprayed Gum Cutter into the hoses to free it up. This morning, I can see a little of it swishing around inside the catch can; but not enough to run out of the push button valve at the bottom. I know this is long winded; but I am just hashing out the process.

The lesson learned: when buying a catch can(s) and you know that your vehicle will be running in freezing temperatures; install it in such a way that it can be replaced with the original hose/tubing. Also, get a catch can that can be taken apart and cleaned. In my case; the aforementioned catch can doesn't come apart; and can only be emptied with the small push-button valve at the bottom. That catch can was originally bought for my Crown Vic; but something about the design erked me a bit; so I rejected it and got another. It worked well though, when I installed it during the summer last year.

To that end; good thing I won't be running the Crown Vic during the winter (maybe just start and run it a few times a month); or even in rainy weather until I figure out and replace the wiper motor.

Name:

Over the weekend I was going through old pictures and recent pictures of the 351W to find things that can be done inside the house; and realized through the rebuild process that I left the fender relays untouched. So after work yesterday, I went out and took the fender relay covers and mounting bracket off so I can clean and paint them. I noticed that not only did the grease and grime get onto the covers; it had gotten inside and onto the relays as well. I will clean them up next time I am out there. I POR15'd the bracket and it's waiting for Dupli-Color Royal Blue paint. The plastic relay covers will get a thin coat of primer and Rustoleum Textured Metallic black paint. When the weather becomes more favorable; I will spray and reinstall these pieces. Then start getting the other bits and pieces done to this car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2