-->
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Moog front end rebuild

Shaunditty
    Name: Shaun

Moog front end rebuild

I got everything to rebuild the front suspension that I can think of except the sway bar bushings. I am benge watching Youtube videos on how itís done. Iím gonna give it a whirl during this quarantine. Any suggestions and or tips are welcome and appreciated.

Ball joints
    P# K8432T (x2)
    P# K8431T (x2)

Adjustable Camber bushing kit
    P# K8968 (x2)...... edit... (4/20/30) these bushings donít fit. I ended up cleaning my originals and soaked them in Rustoleum Rust resolver and wire brush till they looked good. I might revisit this later if I donít like how the tires sit.

Axle pivot bushings
    P# K8300 (x2)

Outer Tie rod ends
    P# ES2077RT
    P# ES2078LT

Inner tie rods
    P# DS1017T
    P# DS1138T

Tie rods sleeves
    P# ES2079S
    P# ES2080S

Pitman Arm
    P# K8750

Radius Arm bushing kit
    P# K8361
    Last edited by shaunditty; 04-20-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Name:

Harbor freight ball joint removal tool. I use that thing for a lot of stuff.

Vrrooooooooooom
    Name: Jeff

I just did everything but the Pitman arm end on mine. It wasn't bad, just took time and some very dirty hands. I rented the ball joint press and the pickle forks.

I still have a little clunk in the front end occasionally, makes me wonder if the steering box might have a bit of slack in it or something.

Shaunditty

Quote Originally Posted by FMOS Racing View Post
    I just did everything but the Pitman arm end on mine. It wasn't bad, just took time and some very dirty hands. I rented the ball joint press and the pickle forks.

I still have a little clunk in the front end occasionally, makes me wonder if the steering box might have a bit of slack in it or something.
    My nieghbor is a Pro-mechanic and luckily I have access to all tools necessary, however I am trying to practice social distancing for now. Heís a good friend and it sucks not wrenching together like normal. I noticed 2 things. One the Pitman arm is slightly different but looks like itíll work fine, and the small inner rod on drivers side has a slightly different bend, but Iíve read it too will work fine. I will know more soon. Any one have input on those 2 items and their differences? Any problems with them being slightly different? I plan on getting out in the garage today and starting disassembly. Iím hoping to not need a steering box, I want to see how it does first, if necessary Iíll look into replacing the steering box a little later.
    1995 #1768. 176k Miles, Stock motor/headers. Bassani off-road pipes, Thrush single 3Ē exhaust. Vortech V1 S-trim, 6.87Ē lower/3Ē upper pulleys, 12:1 FMU, Walbro 255 in-line pump. Punisher Valve body, custom traction bars, Crown 2" rear lowering shackles, MSD6BTM ignition, E-fan, best ET = 13.5@101.

Name:

if you're going to replace the sway bar bushings, might want to consider the black urethane ones from energy suspension.

Name: Jim

I really need to do this myself...I did all the bushings a few years ago with the Energy Suspension stuff when a radius arm bushing split in half...but tie rods and ball joints still need to be addressed...

Name: Karl

I ordered motorcraft tie rods, to do the same job, but noticed they didnít come with nuts or cotter pins. Seriously

84 Capri RS 483ci BBF
    95 Lightning White
    93 Lightning Black

Shaunditty

Quote Originally Posted by bobwhite View Post
    if you're going to replace the sway bar bushings, might want to consider the black urethane ones from energy suspension.
    I will do that. Thatís something I will address soon too,

Shaunditty

Quote Originally Posted by Biskitt View Post
    I really need to do this myself...I did all the bushings a few years ago with the Energy Suspension stuff when a radius arm bushing split in half...but tie rods and ball joints still need to be addressed...
    I already canít wait to finish this. I want to paint my I-beams, springs and Radius arms too. My spring bucket is ugly looking too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sg990 View Post
    I ordered motorcraft tie rods, to do the same job, but noticed they didnít come with nuts or cotter pins. Seriously
    That sucks. I could reuse my castle nuts but I always use new cotter pins if I can.
    1995 #1768. 176k Miles, Stock motor/headers. Bassani off-road pipes, Thrush single 3Ē exhaust. Vortech V1 S-trim, 6.87Ē lower/3Ē upper pulleys, 12:1 FMU, Walbro 255 in-line pump. Punisher Valve body, custom traction bars, Crown 2" rear lowering shackles, MSD6BTM ignition, E-fan, best ET = 13.5@101.

Shaunditty

I decided on replacing my rotors too.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwr-k1831

Resto (Mod) Is Besto
    Name: |

Having all that stuff redone/refreshed is a lot fun when itís all done ...

Ď94 # 3907

Name: Tony

I'm about to do the same thing. Front end rebuild all the way to the gear box. New sway bar end front and rear plus bushing for them. Bushings for radius arms and axle pivot bushing along with some lowering springs up front and new spring bushings. Im planning to use black energy suspension bushings for everything. Also going to put new radius arm brackets and frame to front of leaf spring brackets.Then shocks all the way around and traction bars ( finally). Should ride nice also going to cut and weld in a x-pipe into my exhaust.

Shaunditty

Shaunditty

Shaunditty

Ready for some sand blast and paint.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast