-->

Thread: How to choose the right oil filter

Name: Gary

Post How to choose the right oil filter

https://www.machinerylubrication.com...ose-oil-filter

This is a somewhat lengthy and technical read but worth the read in my opinion. My biggest take away is that you can extend the life of your engine by 2.7 times just by choosing the correct oil filter.

The smaller particles of contamination cause all of the wear. Those particles similar in size to the oil film clearance do the maximum damage.

GA

BOOST and JUICE!
    Name: Brian

Good read,interesting.
    10.26/134 Stock Shortblock...800HP Timebomb!

refreshed and alive again
    Name: Don

Good stuff in the article however I dont recall seeing the micron filtering ability of any filter advertised on the package so how does one find out said info for a particular filter?

Just curious
    My 94 L made 400k on dino lube 3k oil and filter changes with just store brand or on sale versions of both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04 OW MACH1
    94 Black Lighting Freshly rebuilt and modded to my liking!
    85GT AKA "THE FACH1"

If you voted for Obama in 08 to prove you werent a racist
    You better vote for someone else in 2012 to prove your not an Idiot.:oldtu:
    Well I see we are a nation of IDIOTS!!!

The Navy seals eliminated one Muslim threat to this country its up to the voters to eliminate the other!
    Must be a nation of Muslims as well!

Name: Gary

Quote Originally Posted by SA94Lightning View Post
    Good stuff in the article however I dont recall seeing the micron filtering ability of any filter advertised on the package so how does one find out said info for a particular filter?

Just curious
    My 94 L made 400k on dino lube 3k oil and filter changes with just store brand or on sale versions of both.

The only place I could find decent info on the micron rating and efficiency is on Bobistheoilguy forums if you search for a filter number you can find some good discussions on them. Most of the information posted is from people calling the manufacturer to get the information.

refreshed and alive again
    Name: Don

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlareSide View Post
    The only place I could find decent info on the micron rating and efficiency is on Bobistheoilguy forums if you search for a filter number you can find some good discussions on them. Most of the information posted is from people calling the manufacturer to get the information.

And tell me how many average Joe’s are going to do all that to find out if filter x is better than y.

Not me.

Usually a low dollar NEW filter is better than none or a higher quality unit left in service too long.

04 OW MACH1
    94 Black Lighting Freshly rebuilt and modded to my liking!
    85GT AKA "THE FACH1"

If you voted for Obama in 08 to prove you werent a racist
    You better vote for someone else in 2012 to prove your not an Idiot.:oldtu:
    Well I see we are a nation of IDIOTS!!!

The Navy seals eliminated one Muslim threat to this country its up to the voters to eliminate the other!
    Must be a nation of Muslims as well!

Resto (Mod) Is Besto
    Name: |

The info. provided is interesting and much appreciated.

Nonetheless, this is the kinda stuff that folks (at least me, for sure) can and sometimes do totally obsess over.

A number of years ago, I relentlessly researched and spread-sheeted comparison information and data regarding synthetic and conventional motor oils ... contacting manufacturer reps to fill in any blanks.

Honestly, the bottom line for me was/is and what’s proven true for me in over my 40+ years of vehicle ownership and anal-retentive maintenance is that the use of quality products (fluids and filters, and all the other stuff as well) and do your maintenance regularly and religiously you and your vehicle are gonna be all good.
    ‘94 # 3907

Vrrooooooooooom
    Name: Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by bumperquip View Post
    Honestly, the bottom line for me was/is and what’s proven true for me in over my 40+ years of vehicle ownership and anal-retentive maintenance is that the use of quality products (fluids and filters, and all the other stuff as well) and do your maintenance regularly and religiously you and your vehicle are gonna be all good.
    In a past life, I worked with lubrication engineers. Obviously tech has changed a lot since then, but they pushed 1) a high quality filter with an anti-drainback changed regularly, and 2) the tightest viscosity range you could run for your weather conditions, with a straight-weight oil being the best idea. Keep in mind this was in southern Louisiana, so there weren't "weather" conditions to really consider. Back at that time, oil additives were a craze, and they said don't ever do anything that messes with the chemistry of the developed additive package. We discussed synthetics quite a bit, and their opinion was that 99% of the time, dino lube is perfectly adequate, but that other 1% of the time, synthetic may save your engine.

I've always used the premium line Wix, NAPA Gold, or Mobil One filters based on their recommendations.

"Oil" of this reminds me that I'm due for an oil change.

Resto (Mod) Is Besto
    Name: |

Quote Originally Posted by FMOS Racing View Post
    I've always used the premium line Wix, NAPA Gold, or Mobil One filters based on their recommendations.
    Although I will use the FL-1A, the Wix (which includes the NAPA Gold) is just about the best you can get.
    ‘94 # 3907