Yet another stupid ?

Turbosvt93

I was playing with the truck and turbo yesterday. And I noticed lots of shaft play. I know thats bad. Heres the question, if its bad enough could it be leaking pressure into the drain hose and then into the pan? I have noticed a little loss of boost, like 1-2. And its not nearly as loud as it once was.

Adam

Is it a ball bearing turbo? They have a little more play (sitting on the bench) than just a regular cartridge.

Play meaning thrust (along the axis of the shaft) or side-to-side? Along the axis isn't a huge concern. Side-to-side will kill an impeller or turbine quickly.

No its a cartridge type. And its both, more side to side, and up and down. Which is the same thing i think

Its going to a place called EverGreen Turbo, they are going to rebuild it.

But would this problem still cause exessive press in the oil pan?

I have had that happen once, but it was because the dipstick had worked its way out. Actually I think I did not plug it in good and the oil pressure popped it. quick cleanup and dipstick properly installed, all is well.

Can you make it happen over and over, or is this a one time deal?

I was thinking of that, but i just put one in. I was reading some Gen 2 posts and they were talking about a different pcv that has a spring in it. Do you have any idea what this is or what i am talking about.

did not think about that. On mine I plugged the intake where the pcv ran. Then I ran it to the other valve cover and from there to the intake side of the turbo (through a catch can)

Back