Will the factory EFI work with a turbo on a 1st Gen?

wpz2260

I'm jus now starting to look into doing a turbo setup for my truck. The reason I'm asking is on the episode of Trucks! on SpikeTV where they did the remote mount turbo on their red lightning, they said that the factory EFI wasn't capable of reading boost and swapped the speed density, for a aftermarket MAF system. I've had mine dyno tuned before after I got the 408 back in, and my local shop did fine tuning it, but it's N/A. What all needs to change to accommodate a turbo? I don't know much about this, dumb it down as much as you can stand lol.

I've seen several booted trucks with the factory SD. Is it optimal, probably not but it will work with a good tuner. I'm keeping my SD as long as I can!

If you have a good tuner they can do it. There's caveats to that like how radical will the motor be etc, long run it's easier to go aftermarket EFI or 2nd choice IMHO a MAF conversion. Either way you'll need a trans controller.

Where it gets tricky for a turbo is part throttle situations. Can probably get pretty close but you almost need an fmu when making boost that quickly with part throttle. With a centrifugal it's very easy.

Yes, I did.
Was running 13-14psi with a fmu, boost retard box and adjustable fpr.

I'm not sure how close it was but I never blew it up either LOL

Thanks for all the input, I'm still a little ways off financially from being able to pull this off. I'll give my tuner a call and see if that's something he can deal with. Next question: how much power can these 351 blocks handle before they risk damage? Is 600hp a safe number? Also my engine is from my old truck, a 1995 F150, it's not the factory Lightning engine.

Back