Who has highest message on lightning

Bxiii1985

So I picked up my gen1 a about 2 months ago now it has 303xxx miles on it still runs great just got done everything changing it to a 5speed

So I picked up my gen1 a about 2 months ago now it has 303xxx miles on it still runs great just got done everything changing it to a 5speed

I've got a good amount of miles on mine.

I bought it, not because of any motor or transmission attributes but because of the paint and body work that was done.

When I purchased mine, I had a nice bank account prepared strictly for the purpose of engine and transmission (or other stuff) rebuilds or replacements.

However, right before I tore mine apart for resto work, I did compression and leak-down testing.

Low and behold, at least internally, my motor is as healthy a just about anyone's.

I thought it a damn shame to break open an original motor when it really doesn't need to be broken open and I know from experience that once you do (crack them open) they'll likely never be the same.

Point being ... you might want to do some testing before you think you've got any engine wear issues happening.

If you care to also, Eric Davis aka "pickup man" can give you some nice insight into the longevity and durability of the 351W.

289K never broke a gasket on the motor besides upper intake. Same engine, rearend, and tranny. Nothing rebuilt

As good as a Windsor is i am about to have to pull mine at the low miles of 156,xxx because of smoke but that's okay when a big cube engine is going back in with big heads on it.

As good as a Windsor is i am about to have to pull mine at the low miles of 156,xxx because of smoke but that's okay when a big cube engine is going back in with big heads on it.
Yeah so far mine burns or leaks about a quart of oil every 500 miles. It just hit 133500miles. But I'm running out of gaskets and parts to change to stop the consumption. So I'm starting to think it's just toast internally.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

The W is no different than any other engine of its time. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. If you neglect it, it will give you problems.

The W is no different than any other engine of its time. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. If you neglect it, it will give you problems.
Yeah IDK this one doesn't look beat on it was an old man's daily he bought it new off the lot. It doesn't look abused but who knows how he did his maintenance.

Yeah IDK this one doesn't look beat on it was an old man's daily he bought it new off the lot. It doesn't look abused but who knows how he did his maintenance.

Keep in mind that the worst thing you can do to an engine is not use it. It doesn't have to be beat on to be abused. Lots of old guys changed oil every 3000 miles no matter what. It sounds like he was waiting way too long between changes even though he did them every 3000 miles. There's a reason they said 3 months or 3000 miles. The months are just as important. If you get gunk in the rings that keeps them from sealing you are going to have problems. I know I have beat on my truck and it still doesn't burn any oil even after turning over 450k miles this week. Leaks are another matter and it definitely doesn't run as well as it used to. Never HAD to open the motor, but did it at just over 300k miles to put metal timing gears in (the 300 came with a plastic cam gear) and then had the valvecover off to put on 1.73 rockers just to see if they would work. I did an oil pan gasket at some point, but don't remember when.

Keep in mind that the worst thing you can do to an engine is not use it. It doesn't have to be beat on to be abused. Lots of old guys changed oil every 3000 miles no matter what. It sounds like he was waiting way too long between changes even though he did them every 3000 miles. There's a reason they said 3 months or 3000 miles. The months are just as important. If you get gunk in the rings that keeps them from sealing you are going to have problems. I know I have beat on my truck and it still doesn't burn any oil even after turning over 450k miles this week. Leaks are another matter and it definitely doesn't run as well as it used to. Never HAD to open the motor, but did it at just over 300k miles to put metal timing gears in (the 300 came with a plastic cam gear) and then had the valvecover off to put on 1.73 rockers just to see if they would work. I did an oil pan gasket at some point, but don't remember when.

I agree totally. I used my truck for a daily driver since 98 up till about 4 years ago when it was parked. I changed the oil religiously every 3000-3500. Motorcraft oil Started it up this last year and oil was coming out everywhere. So I removed the engine this last week to check it out since the miles and for all new seals. I was amazed how clean the inside of the engine is. No junk or buildup anywhere. (I would post pics, but I need to just send in some membership dues since I am getting the truck out and playing with it again.)

I agree totally. I used my truck for a daily driver since 98 up till about 4 years ago when it was parked. I changed the oil religiously every 3000-3500. Motorcraft oil Started it up this last year and oil was coming out everywhere. So I removed the engine this last week to check it out since the miles and for all new seals. I was amazed how clean the inside of the engine is. No junk or buildup anywhere. (I would post pics, but I need to just send in some membership dues since I am getting the truck out and playing with it again.)
That's what surprised me. This oil turns black in like 300miles. But when I pulled the intake to do those gaskets and even the valve covers it was spotless. No signs of sludge or anything. Clean enough to eat off of.

At this point I'm pretty sure I'm staring at a rebuild. So I usually don't like snake oils. But I'm considering trying a can of engine restore. Been researching it for months and haven't found a single review where they didn't see a reduction in oil consumption. I know it's not a permanent fix but if it is a stuck ring maybe it will help to free it up.

If I can get it down to reasonable consumption levels and nurse it another year I will be happy with it.

Don't do Restore. That's for scratched bores which I doubt you have. Pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with kerosene and let it set for a few days. If you have stuck rings that will dissolve the gunk. BG also makes a few products that might help, but they are usually pricey and aren't much better than kerosene for something like this. After it soaks for a few days, pump it out, warm it up and change the oil. If it's going through a quart every 500 miles you should be able to see on the spark plugs which cylinders are drinking it.

Don't do Restore. That's for scratched bores which I doubt you have. Pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with kerosene and let it set for a few days. If you have stuck rings that will dissolve the gunk. BG also makes a few products that might help, but they are usually pricey and aren't much better than kerosene for something like this. After it soaks for a few days, pump it out, warm it up and change the oil. If it's going through a quart every 500 miles you should be able to see on the spark plugs which cylinders are drinking it.
Yeah tuneup was one of the first things I did. Two cylinders had just a hint of oil on the threads but the tips looked fine. No caked on crap or burn evidence and it never smokes.

I'd encourage you to determine the extent of the "leak" and then do some diagnistics before you decide to tear it down.
Yeah I have been I've replaced pretty much every gasket pcv valve and screen only thing left is the front main and pan gasket which show some signs of seeping but I really doubt it would lose that much oil in that time period. Never see spots on the ground even when it sits for a few days. Oil cooler has been checked an deleted (it was leaking). Pretty sure the only thing left would be valve stem seals or bad rings.

My '95 F-150 with a 351W has 393,000 miles now. Still doesn't burn any oil. Full synthetic oil every 3000 miles since I bought it with 75,000 miles. I did have to change the oil pan (rusted through), fuel injectors (Fram fuel filter fell apart), and changed the timing chain because I thought it would solve a problem I had (turned out to be distributor pickup) and water pump while I was in there. Transmission started making noise around 230,000 miles so it got replaced and the diff. is still original except for an exciter ring to cure the bouncing speedo. These engines and era of Ford trucks are awesome!

Ya agree with everyone maintenance goes along ways with everything and I love my truck even more now that she is a five speed after I do paint job one it shortly she will look new again guy thought about saving the motor and Junkinget the truck but swooped in and saved it

My '95 F-150 with a 351W has 393,000 miles now. Still doesn't burn any oil. Full synthetic oil every 3000 miles since I bought it with 75,000 miles. I did have to change the oil pan (rusted through), fuel injectors (Fram fuel filter fell apart), and changed the timing chain because I thought it would solve a problem I had (turned out to be distributor pickup) and water pump while I was in there. Transmission started making noise around 230,000 miles so it got replaced and the diff. is still original except for an exciter ring to cure the bouncing speedo. These engines and era of Ford trucks are awesome!

THAT is friggin fantastic!

I love those occurrences...

I'm not sure when it happens for me exactly, but at some point in a vehicle's life, I actually become more impressed with a large number of miles than I am with a small number.

But then, I'm typically more impressed by a 53 yr. old woman who's worked and maintained her hotness as opposed to a 28 year old who's just hot.

... did that make any sense?

Back