Who brought a laptop to WFC??

madramper

#projectplatypus
Who brought a laptop so they could update us while at WFC? Most of you are on the way. Good luck to everyone!

Of course I did...Nan and I are leaving for Gateway in ~5 minutes to set up the parking area and the NLOC/NHTOC tent!. ;)

Sunshine today, mid 70s for a high.

...Dwight...

Good job BigD! I'm sitting here at my desk wishing I could be there! Oh well.... maybe Lfest!

Set that stuff up and have yourself a :clinkmugs

and I know Scott and Jean have a really cool thread goint in Local section. WASLO maybe. Really cool pictures.

anybody know someone who wants to buy my stock wheels up there ill be there sunday and i will bring them if somebody wants to buy them $350 need to sell them BAD!!! here's my cell number if anybody wants the wheels (573)-714-1525 thanks alot

madramper said:
Who brought a laptop so they could update us while at WFC? Most of you are on the way. Good luck to everyone!

Chip, I have one also. But I really think you should have come to St. Louis to see all the action. :D

Do they have internet connections for laptops, like a Wi-Fi network at the track? If not, then you could connect through a GPRS connection, but the speeds aren't good enough to actually stream video. I use my EDGE card quite a bit and get downloads in the neighborhood of 120 kb/sec. Uploads are ever slower, though. If a person subscribes to Verizon mobile broadband, they can get downloads of up to 2 Mb/sec!! Of course, it's not the download speed that matters if you are trying to stream video. However, once mobile broadband with UMTS or HSDPA technology is widespread, streaming live video through your laptop using your cell phone connection may very well be available from almost anywhere.

Blue Oval Forever said:
Chip, I have one also. But I really think you should have come to St. Louis to see all the action. :D

I wish I cold have! My sister is getting married next weekend, so things are pretty crazy around here. Friday and yesterday we were moving her into her new apartment, and last night was the bachelor party. So it probably would have been a big deal if I skipped out this weekend. Oh well, maybe by next year I'll have a truck to bring! It sure would be nice to meet all of you guys and have a face to go with the name.... even if I only know most of you by screen name :D :bigtu:

doctorjj said:
If a person subscribes to Verizon mobile broadband, they can get downloads of up to 2 Mb/sec!!

Not to get off topic, but an FYI for anyone looking into the Verizon wireless broadband:

It all depends on the location. I am a computer tech for a local government and we had Verizon come in for something. I was talking to their tech that had the wireless broadband and he loved it. After speaking with him, I recommend it to a friend of mine that was in a location where he couldn't get cable or DSL and didn't want to spend $100 a month for satelite. Anyway, his actual speed at his house is only like 400kbs. A huge improvement over the 40kbs he was getting with dial up, but it did not meet with the promise of 1.5MBs Verizon gave him. It is a really cool thing to have as you are online basically ANYWHERE! I'm sure speeds will go up as the technology improves.

Again, off topic, but if anyone wants to go with mobile internet thru Cingular, just buy an EDGE card off of ebay for less than $20. Then subscribe to unlimited internet for your phone. Do NOT get the laptop package. If you do it for the phone, then it's only about $20 per month. You do have to take your SIM card out of your phone and put it into the EDGE card, but it's a ton better than paying $59-69 per month for unlimited "laptop internet". I have no idea why the pricing is different, but it is.

Back