Which Tires are Best?

R

Russ94

I'll need to replace the tires on my '94 L, and I wanted to know what your recommendations are.

My L is a daily driver which is occasionally road raced on local tracks. I enjoy throwing it into turns. Therefore, handling is very important to me, but not at the cost of losing wet weather traction.

I am currently using Firestone GTAs, but I was told by others that the GTAs are not so great in the wet. I am considering the BFG Comp T/A HR4s. Any suggestions?

I replaced my old GTA's a few months ago with the BFG's and I really like them. I really wanted a set of Yokahama's with that real aggresive tread pattern but wasn't willing to fork over the price for those. But, I have always liked the BFG's. Good tire.

------------------
Sam Sells
White '95 #1325

[This message has been edited by Litl Sam (edited 06-08-2000).]

tongue.gif
I have found that the BFG's are the best allaround tire,because they are a H rated tire they have a stiffer side wall and are alot better in the wet, plus they have a higher speed ratting,than say the goodyear,and the firestone is not that good of a tire to me,they are right not good in the rain.
biggrin.gif

------------------
David Red'94#78

Toyo make the nice tire for our trucks they are expensive about $180 each but in appearance (nice looking tread) and on paper the should out perform all of the other tires that are out there... They make a 275/60/17 and a 285/60/17,
Somebody want to be the Ginnie pig? I will replace my Firestones with these when the time comes but at rate I'm going its to be awhile...

Later,
Dave P.

russ i replaced my old gta's with goodyear gt II's they are a real good all around tire they even work good at the race track. the cost was easy on the billfold also. they are 275 60 17 just like the firehawks in size. i like thhe tread pattern better than the bfg's.

------------------
Five0 Drw
nolc# 354
#63 "n" 95

[This message has been edited by five0drw (edited 06-09-2000).]

I replaced my GTA's with Pirelli Scorpion Zero's 285/60/17. I tried selling them acouple of months ago, but I must have been asking too much. I picked them up at the tire rack for $200 apiece. I've been happy with their looks and performance (v-rating). I don't use them right now because my cousin works at goodyear and gave me some free 275/40/17 goodyear GS-C takeoffs. This changed my effective gear ratio quite a bit and lowered the truck too. The truck feels faster because the rpm's go up quicker even though it's probably not faster. I would not suggest forking over the money for these tires as they are not made for 4500#+ trucks and the tred wears down quickly. I've got a set of 245/45/17 goodyear f1 steel runflats (front tires off a new vette) I'm going to try next. I would reccomend the Pirellis.

Jake D.

I have had the toyos on my 94 for close to a year. They are toyo proxis s/t and are awsome looking, handling and they wear forever. Traction A, temp A treadwear 420. These tires are well worth the 180 each and they hook damn good.

Originally posted by Russ94:
I'll need to replace the tires on my '94 L, and I wanted to know what your recommendations are.

My L is a daily driver which is occasionally road raced on local tracks. I enjoy throwing it into turns. Therefore, handling is very important to me, but not at the cost of losing wet weather traction.

I am currently using Firestone GTAs, but I was told by others that the GTAs are not so great in the wet. I am considering the BFG Comp T/A HR4s. Any suggestions?

Sorry about that last post. Now that I know how this thing works, I'll try again. Has anyone seen the nitto extreme force 305/60-17s in person? Iv'e only seen em in the add on discount tire, but think if it's not some kinda wannabe offroad tread thing that it'd look bada## on the back of my truck.

------------------
Ray
black 93 w/Paxton S/N 2000

I use the Good Years GT2,s. I think they handle well and ride very well. You cant beat the price.In the latest tire rack add they are priced at 66.00 ea!!

------------------
95 Red Lightning
87 Buick Grand National
11.60/114 1.62 60ft.

Just wondering if anyone has tried the new Dunlop Rover tires. I am not sure of the exact style, but my dealer tells me they have an aqua tread design and will run up to 50,000 miles. My GTA's have 33,000 and don't have much left. I was quoted $135 a piece for the Dunlops. May be a bargin for the extra miles.

I have the Dunlop Sport Rover GTX tires on my 93L (275 60 17). Awsome tire. They have a HUGE rain groove in the middle and are a giant improvement over the stock waterski-like Firestones. They handle extremely well and are worth the 130 a piece pricetag. If price is not a concern, the Dunlops are my top choice, even over the Pirellis or Yokos, just due to the wet traction. But, it is har to pass up on the Goodyears --- Around $300 to your door for all 4 plus 10 bucks a piece to have them mounted and balanced----That is a bargain. Plus, it is a lot easier on the mind to flog a 67 dollar tire at the strip than a 130 dollar tire---Trust me, two of my Dunlops are toast!!!!

Kevin Lewis

Trace had BFGs on her truck and frankly, it was all over the road in the wet. The Firestones on my '95 were definitely more confidence inspiring in the wet, comparing truck to truck.

Trace considered the BFG's to be "white-knucklers" in the wet.

I like the 'stones. I'd use the GT II's if money was the main concern, the Yokohamas if money didn't matter at all, and the Firestones in the mid-price range. Just my opinion, of course. No monkey snot comments this time!
wink.gif

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
President, NLOC
#74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2
#?? in '00 - 13.68@99.5

Back