where do i start?!?

C

clonetek

i just bought a 2000 lightning... i want to add a chip and ram air induction hood (one that works). where do i start? help! what kind of brandnames are out there? (k&n, hypertech.. etc.)

Can't help, but I have sympathy.
I also have a L99 that wants to compete
with the modified gang. But I get alot of comments just the way it is. Isn't that
great. I love the L99/L00s !

I learned alot from LPP 541-885-7730 I don't want to buy the wrong setup either.
At first I wanted to run low 13s, but think I can aford very high 12s if I purchase wisely.

Guys, you might wanna try Sal at PowerSurge Performance. He does chips, and seems to be selling a ton of filter kits that really wake up the new trucks. There's a link to his site on this site somewhere...

Busy busy guy, but does great work IMO.

Good luck!

- Kevin

A word to the wise make the chip the last thing you do as the people that do the chip will have to know all other Mods. made so if you put on an air kit and get the chip then put on an exhaust your truck won't run right.(www.swansonperformance.com) also does chip check his site.

okay.. should i try to get a filter kit, or a air ram hood? some people say that the ram air hoods are more restrictive.. i dont want to get a filter kit & then buy a ram air hood & waste money.. gotta make the right decisions first. (means more money to put on the L elsewhere) :)

Hey Guys,
If you want a functional ram air hood you
have to check out cervinis.com, this is
arguably the best looking hood for the new
Lightning. I bought a hood from them for a
Mustang I used to own and it's top notch
stuff. It's fiberglass but looks like steel.
I'm thinking about getting one for my '99.
Later.

I'm with Tony on Cervinis hood, very quality stuff...

Gregg

A "Ram-Air Hood" for a blown motor that gets it's air ducted thru the fender? Am I missing something?

Red 99

yeah, a cervinis ram air hood hooks to the stock air filter box under the hood.. but, several people have said it doesnt increase performance, its just for looks. so maybe that will be a later mod for me. :)

so, anyone else got any good mods to start off with in my new lightning?

so far i'm gonna get---
snugtop tonneau cover
colormatched spray in bed liner
powerchip
filter kit
clear side marker lamps & clear taillights
and maybe 2" drop shackels to lower the back.

brooks

Hey Brooks,
One of the best, easiest and cheapest mods
you can do is an air iduction kit, I have
the PSP kit. More horsepower than the FULL
Bassani exhaust! Downs Ford also sells a
similar kit as does Airaid. The PSP kit is
the highest quality but a loooooong wait for it. Also try Superchips for a computer chip,
I've had one since last August with no problems whatsoever. Two easy mods that pay
for themselves when you're trying to loose
some Feds, know what I mean.
Tony

The cervinis kit reroutes the air, it's a fully functional ram air hood.

Gregg

So if you put in a filter kit, which does not have a filter box, how does the ram air remain functional? I like the look of the hoods, like the one with twin snouts, but I just don't see the "Ram-Air" , like a "Shaker" used to do.

Red 99

tony - the air induction system isn't the same as a Pro-M Mass Air kit is it?

Curmudgen - that was my delemma... i couldnt decide on what to get.. if i get the ram air hood, i wont get the air induction system.. i dont want to wast money on a mod & then do something that i'll have to change it back.
and, the ram air hood does force air into the stock air box.

Well I am going for the filter from PSP just as soon as he opens the order book again. Sunday I was pulling a grade, trying to stay in 4th, & it would only pull 70 with about 5 lbs, until it kicked down, went to 80 before I could get out of it and was still only at 6 lbs until I hit the top stil doing 80 in 4th.
And my stock filter is brand new from Ford.

Red 99 #32xx

OK guys here's the deal on the hood.
It works just like the setup on the 95-96?
ram air Camaros & Trans Ams. There is a new
air box with 2 filters that mounts to the radiator shroud. They are open filters with
a rubber seal around them so you don't get
all sorts of outside crap inside. Then your
air meter is placed almost at the center of
your truck and is connected to this airbox.
Fresh air from the outside goes through these
2 filters and right into the blower. The
prototype kit was worth about 3 tenths in the quarter, about as much as PSP's induction
kit. And last I heard Cervinis was working on
some type of vacum operated system that would expel any water from the air box, which
is necessary from this type of induction.And
Clonetek, the induction kits differ from the
Mass Air kits in that all they are is a steel
tube that bolts to the stock meter with a
conical air filter. They cost about $ 130.00
and they give you the same horsepower as the
mass air swap. Remember, the stock meter is
80mm and so are the aftermarket ones, the
restriction is the stock airbox NOT the meter.I hope this clear things up a bit.
Tony

The stock box is definitely restricted. The PSP filter is of the highest craftsmanship...unfortunately I was just at the sight and he is so backlogged on filter orders that he isn't taking new orders at this time. It is worth the wait for the quality though. Everything on mine fit perfectly.

If I am not mistaken, the Cervinis Ram Air system won't be available for another 4-6 months. The hood is available now though. This is what I was told when I spoke to them after the article was in a Mag.

Back