wheel alignment 2003 Ligthning

jerseyshark

Can anyone tell me what the correct camber setting should be for a 2003 Lightning. My tires keep wearing on the inside. The camber is currently set to -1.0 on left front and -1.2 right front. Firestone tells me this is in spec.

It is in spec, but it wouldn't hurt to push the tops out a little bit. You could have them tell their alignment machine it is a regular F-150 instead of a Lightning, but that might even be in spec for an F-150. Do you have a printout of your readings you could post? There's a pretty good chance that they just don't want to mess with it since it's in spec.

FWIW, camber doesn't wear tires, it just determines where they wear. If they are wearing too fast you either have a toe problem somewhere or you are working the front of the truck really hard.

Thanks,

This is how it reads:

L/F R/F

camber -1.0 -1.2

caster 6.8 6.7

Toe -0.03 -0.04

Total Toe -0.06

Sreer Ahead 0.00

---------- Post added 09-07-2012 at 10:18 AM ----------

I guess this dosen't like a lot of blank spaces so I'll try again.

This is how it reads:

___________L/F______________ R/F

camber ____-1.0 _____________-1.2

caster_____ 6.8 ______________6.7

Toe ______-0.03 _____________-0.04

Total Toe -0.06

Sreer Ahead 0.00

camber

Ok, so first of all the left and right camber should be the same. The right caster should be slightly greater (larger number) in order to compensate for the crown of the road. The preferred specs I have for camber Left and Right are -0.5. A -1.0 or -1.2 would be fine for autocross but for street use will wear the inside of the tire more than the outside.
For your reference the caster preferred specs are Left 6.7 and Right 7.2 and toe Left and Right -0.5.
Hope that helps.
Dr No

Back