What would I get out of a SCT tuner?

Hi Brian,

I dealt with you when I had my blower ported and I trust your judgment. I'm wondering what I would get out of your product? I do not drag race. My truck is a every day driver and I do four or five road course events per year. I'm running one of Sal's four position chips, long tubes, a four lb. lower pulley and the ported blower making about 16 lbs. of boost at shift RPM. The truck dynoed at 405/500 on the towing position of the chip and 438/515 on the race position. The other two positions are alike but with two different amounts of timing for summer/winter street performance. My question is what would I gain by going to your programmer?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jerry Jordan

since you already have an SCT chip, there may or may not be benifits in switching. There's no change in the quality of a tune wether delivered by flasher or chip as long as the chip is a 4-bank, and ours are.

Here's the benifits I see for going to a flasher.
1) You can get a programming cable from SAL and he can email you tune updates
2) You can get the extreme upgrade when it releases which will allow you control of some of the basic paramaters in your EEC
3) The flasher reads DTC codes and clears them

Other than those benifits, I would say the chip and flasher act very much alike. It's important to consider that switching to a flasher will slow down your ability to change programs. With the chip you can change programs instantly, but with the flasher it takes a few minutes to upload.

For any future questions I would also like to direct you to SCT's forums. We monitor that board all day long so there is usually a faster response time. It's hard to watch all of the other forums out there constantly :)

http://www.sctflash.com/forum/

Thanks,
Brian

Brian,

Thanks for the help but maybe I did not make myself clear. The chip I have is an old four position Autologic I got from Sal back in 2000. That is why I ask the question. What will "four bank" tuning do for me? Just picking up 5 or 6 more H/P is not worth the money. Would a tune from your flasher be safer or anything like that? I'm sorry I did not post this on the other site but I did not even know about it until yesterday.

Thanks again,
Jerry

Jerry

in terms of raw HP, there's probably no change if your lightning is relatively stock (stock injectors, etc).

But in terms of the overall tune quality, drivability, and repeatability, there are a lot of reasons to go to a 4-bank module. There are a lot of paramaters that we (SCT) change that is in the other three banks. For example, there is some torque managment stuff in bank 8 that should be changed so you aren't limited on power. Torque managment pulls timing out of the engine when certain conditions are met. This is probably not an issue until you have a KB or nitrous, but it can be a limiting factor on some trucks.

Brian

Back