what tuner to get??

MR.NASTY 04

GETS ILL
I rip a DSG 04 lightning and would like to squeese more ponies without risking damaging the motor or trans. Im pretty stock, just K&N intake and FlowMaster cat back. All other mods are not performance, 20's, touch screen dvd, 2 10' subs, billet grilles.. blah blah.. I dont really know much about the programers. So if any of you guys fell like helpin me ripp a little harder, I could use a little info. thanks fellas:eek:ldtu:

You have three within driving distance:
JDM in NJ, Johnny Lightning just across state line in Penn, and JJ in I believe just north of Baltimore, either can do a good job. One thing I know about JJ is he dynos and then street test and tunes which is a great idea.

Well in my area we have 3 mid 10 second trucks that all use JDM to tune their trucks, but any of the tuners that Sstock mentioned will be fine. I think your talking about the programmer itself so the one that is most widely used is the sct xcal 2 or 3. Also Sstock does some good tuning work.

Thanks for the plug, but I wouldn't even consider a mail order tune on a Gen2
, now Gen1's -pretty much done all the injector combos and power levels there for SD.

You can mail order tune, SSTOCK is just saying HE doesn't feel good about doing a mail order tune. At least the guys honest, instead of taking your money if he doesn't feel confident doing so.

Most go with a Diablo Predator, or the SCT XCAL(2 or 3). Just give one of the previously mentioned tuners a call and they can hook you up!

You can mail order tune, SSTOCK is just saying HE doesn't feel good about doing a mail order tune. At least the guys honest, instead of taking your money if he doesn't feel confident doing so.

Most go with a Diablo Predator, or the SCT XCAL(2 or 3). Just give one of the previously mentioned tuners a call and they can hook you up!

:eek:ldtu:

ok thanks a lot. Really appreciate the help. Any idea what kinda gains ill get with one of these?? And one more thing, The owners manual says that the stock blower makes 8 psi. When i put it wide open, the stock boost gauge goes pegged past 10 psi... Is that normal with just an intake and a cat-back?? Thanks a lot guys :buddies:

ok thanks a lot. Really appreciate the help. Any idea what kinda gains ill get with one of these?? And one more thing, The owners manual says that the stock blower makes 8 psi. When i put it wide open, the stock boost gauge goes pegged past 10 psi... Is that normal with just an intake and a cat-back?? Thanks a lot guys :buddies:

Yep it is normal to go over 8psi with the stock pulley set-up. you will usually see this when it gets colder out due to the denser air. As far as power with just a programmer alone, I think you will net around 15-20hp with just the programmer. If I were you I would get a 4lb pulley from a respected vendor like JDM, Johnny Lightning, LFP, JJ, or many others and buy a programmer with it (more than likely SCT software) and have them tune it for you. This will put a big smile on your face than just having a programmer.

programmer sniper

Hi, I live in the middle of nowhere, ie; no tuners within at least a days drive. I am using a Sniper programmer. This is a programmer that let's you get pretty in depth into the ECU programming. Have the truck running pretty hard, but am green to this tuning so have had my ups and downs. If you understand what is required to tune and understand all the abbreviations that you will come across, then give it at least a look. If close to a tuner with a dyno, go that route as it can get frustrating if you have to learn the set ups and language all at the same time. Wish I had access to a dyno tuner. It would have saved me a lot of time. Sometimes you have to pay for experience.:grin1:

Back