What should I do for the WINTER? (HELP)

J

Jason Jones

ok every body I just moved up here from TX so I don't know what I should do to store my truck in the winter. I am going to college so I do not have a garage to put the truck in.

This is what I have been told by other people
put a bad ass truck cover on, take the battery out, fill both tanks up and put fule stablizer in the tanks, used 3/4 plywood squares under the tires because the cold concrete will kinda flat spot the tires and seal as many holes as possible, air intake, tail pipes, etc.

or

Put a bad ass truck cover on, fill both tanks up and put the stabalizer in, and start the truck once a week for 30 second.

What do all of ya think, just let it sit there or start it up once a week?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
95 Lightning

Jason,
You bring up a few good points.I have never stored a vehicle in my life.That includes my Lightning.I have let it "sit" for a few weeks but that is the extent of it.Seems that the creepy crawly things like to take up residence in cars when they have been sitting for an extended period.I think running the truck for a while about 1 time a month would do the trick.I wouldnt let it sit all winter without starting it.that wouldnt be a good thing because all the oil winds up in the bottom of the pan.Even when the truck is off the pistons still have a layer of oil on them BUT when you let it sit a LONG time the oil drains off and you can risk serious damage...

I dont know muck about the stabalizer but I think a good truck cover should help keep debris and other misc crap from building up on the finish.

Jason,

Go with the truck cover, pulling the battery, and not starting it. I do this every year on several vehicles with no problems. Fill your gas tanks completely after adding Stabil first (so it gets mixed up a little). Inflate your tires to about 4 PSI over max rating(tire pressure will lower with lower temps) to help keep from flat spotting. Plywood might help, never tried that. I store mine in an unheated garage and place a plastic tarp underneath it to help keep condensation from the pavement off of the frame. I also take some mothballs placed in plastic cups and put them in the engine compartment(especially around wiring harness) and the interior of the vehicle. It takes a week or so to air out in the spring, but helps keep rodents out. Make sure you check your anti-freeze level and concentration before putting it away for the season.

Good Luck,

Lightning Bob

[This message has been edited by Lightning Bob (edited 11-09-2000).]

From now on he is no longer "Lightning Bob" or "red Light Bob" HE is "I know how to store things in the winter BOB"

Yeah, what those guys said is almost the same I do for my motorcycles. Even the plywood. Maybe some of those wheel ramps instead of wood?

Thanks for the help guys,

That's a good pont about the tires, I think with the wood and over inflateing they will be fine. Any thing else ya can think of.

Thanks,

Jason
lightning

If it's in a garage I would put jackstands under the axles and keep no weight on the tires. Plus if you have really good jackstands you could also run the truck while it's up there(but be REALLY careful), I gotta do this to my truck pretty quick too...

------------------
Curt
'93 Red Lightning #4232
http://www.geocities.com/lightning_struck93/index.html

That would be great if I could keep my baby in the garage, any of ya have another garage I could use?! Hehehe... Looks like a truck cover will have to do.

Thanks,

Jason

In addition to what Lightning Bob posted,
Sugest don't run unless you get oil upto temp, about 15 miles beyond water upto temp,
take it out on a nice day, easier than sugestion #2:

If you plan on not starting for the winter, remove plugs and top oil the cylinders.

Bob, I used to able to get bags of moisture absorbent for interior also, this must still be available somewhere
Jim

reality1

Why would I want to remove the plugs and top oil the cylinders?

jason,
Like Super Zor said, when the truck sits a long time the oil drains off, If you start every 6 weeks or so it will reoil cylinders, however, if you don't drive until oil is upto temp you won't burn off condensation. (water that comes out of your exhaust when you start). So if you don't drive, extra oil can be added to top of cylinders, it will smoke when you first start up but you won't have rust on cylinders that can break rings.

Back