What Oil

D8LES Lightning

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what oil you are all using in your trucks.

Mine is a 99 model. Had it since 04 and during this time I have had the engine rebuilt with all the internals done. later ported heads and charger. pistons, crank, valves you name it. Never had the engine fully setup for race just prepped ready. Has done very little mileage. bought it at 21k now just over 41k.

Just enquiring what everyone is using in theirs?

Look forward to hearing from you all

I would run whatever your engine builder recommends. Or just run what Ford specs which is I believe 5w 20 for the gen 2 trucks. I run rotella in my gen 1.

I would run whatever your engine builder recommends. Or just run what Ford specs which is I believe 5w 20 for the gen 2 trucks. I run rotella in my gen 1.

Hi, unfortunately by engine builder is no longer in business which is a shame as he did an amazing job for me. I am sure 5w 20 is the norm for the gen 2 trucks like you say but its been a while since I have had anything done to it just wanted to be safe than sorry.

Your oil cap should say what weight to use. If you still have the original and it's readable. Having had a 2000 in the past, I vaguely recall the 99/00 being the heavier 10W-30. Or was it 5W-30? Believe the switch to 5W-20 occurred in 2001. And while some say it's necessary, I still believe to this day it was done for CAFE reasons. Thinner oil helps an engine get better mileage, which helps the parent company get a higher Corporate Average Fuel Economy rating with the EPA. There are guys on another site who say they use 10W-30 and 40 in their later model L's. I use 5w-20, but when a top off is needed, I use what's in the garage for my two bikes, 20W-50. Never had a problem.

My 98 Ranger is a 10W-30 vehicle, yet I've run 20W-50 in it for 20 years and 160,000+ miles. Never a problem. Run 20W-50 in both my bikes, one for over 13 years, since new. And always will.

99-00 5w30
01-up 5w20

I have a 1999 and use the 5w20 for less noise in the valve train area. Maybe it's just me but when I used to use 5w30 it was noisy compared to the Motorcraft 5w20.

Back