What is a great bang for the buck head upgrade?

The only thing i have against forced is one fuel system error= engine failure... its just another thing to go wrong. Budget wise i'm thinking around 2k for heads, gaskets, rockers.. I dont really know what else is required... push rod length differ? tune? head bolts need to be replaced? Ideally i'd like more compression. I like the idea of heads because my truck has 145k on it, and new heads would freshen up the motor a bit.. although it is strong, very strong, with very good compression numbers. But I like this thread because I can't quite seem to find a good heads only thread. perhaps I need to look a little harder.

I don't think I could swap my heads without installing a hotter cam to compliment the added airflow/compression of better heads. You"ll need a tune. Without it and a good fuel system you have just as good a chance or better of burning up a motor from running lean as the guy running a 5-6 psi supercharger, inline boost pump and a simple fmu. I have a supercharger I plan installing soon. I don't think $2k will get heads, cam and a tune, it might if you get a good deal on used heads. But it will get you a nice NOS system or maybe a used supercharger system.

The only thing i have against forced is one fuel system error= engine failure... its just another thing to go wrong. Budget wise i'm thinking around 2k for heads, gaskets, rockers.. I dont really know what else is required... push rod length differ? tune? head bolts need to be replaced? Ideally i'd like more compression. I like the idea of heads because my truck has 145k on it, and new heads would freshen up the motor a bit.. although it is strong, very strong, with very good compression numbers. But I like this thread because I can't quite seem to find a good heads only thread. perhaps I need to look a little harder.

This may sound like a bizarre suggestion, suggestions are opinions nothing more. I would suggest, you step back, and forget about engine modifications right now, instead, use that 2k to invest in a way to tune your own engine. Theres many ways to skin that cat, so the how is up to you. But learn the ins and outs of that process, get the truck running under your tune and the sky is the limit after that. You could combine the learning of the tuning process, with some investment into your transmission, tighten it up a little, maybe use a step up converter, and you may very well be surprised at what you able to get it to do. Trying to be the fastest is a never ending battle, but enjoying what you are doing, is priceless and doesn't always mean, your the fastest.

Yep 2k won't cut it for a proper H/C combo. It will end up over 3k. And don't be scared of superchargers. You can spend the same money and put bus lengths on a H/C truck lol. If you need any proof my truck has had a blower on it for almost 100k miles.... it now has 205k on the stock shortblock. Probably making near 500 rwhp...

Wait...

We can add blower/turbo, and keep the stock speed density system?

Kinda like the OP, kinda just want another 100-150 horse...

Blower @6 psi will get you 80 hp for a couple grand. Heads and cam will get you 40-50 hp (SD compliant) for 3 grand. Really isnt a choice is there?

Yes you can...

What would you do to make a turbo work with the speed density?

If I could make 400+ ( I ain't scared of making the most power possible, as I have another complete engine, on deck...), that would be awesome.

If I could make 500, you're going to have to surgically remove me from the truck.

What would you do to make a turbo work with the speed density?

If I could make 400+ ( I ain't scared of making the most power possible, as I have another complete engine, on deck...), that would be awesome.

If I could make 500, you're going to have to surgically remove me from the truck.

Turbo's are a different animal as they don't make boost in a linear fashion. However it can be done on SD. A centrifugal blower set up is the easiest to tune on SD. Sstock had a turbo truck with SD but he had a ton of time in his tune to make it work well in part throttle situations. If going the turbo route using SD it may still be a good idea to use an FMU to help with fueling in part throttle boosted scenarios.

Interesting.

I'm new to the Lightning world, and I always wondered why I saw a ton on Centri's on these trucks, but not many turbos...

Anyway, I've always had great luck with the Trick Flow 11R's.

I'll introduce myself in the appropriate section, and start my own thread. My apologies, OP.

Back