What did you do with your Lightning today

Jamie V

It can get slow in here this time of the year so I figured I’d start a post to kinda give guys a place to post little things that they do. Some guys won’t make a new thread for a little thing here or there so post them up here!

Im going to start a thread on my rear and this week since I'm on vacation, I'm going to be doing my coil near plug conversion. I'll start a thread on that too

I went (yesterday) to check on mine. It's taking so that the glass people that do the windshields and such are retiring/going out of business March 31 so I guess my glass will be done by then.... hopefully. Says he's painting cab next week

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I did some much needed cold weather idle tuning on mine yesterday since it’s finally cold enough (40°). I’m having trouble getting the idle AFR just right. 14.7 still smells too rich(I think due to the cam) so I’m experimenting with higher AFR’s(idle only). Looks to idle good and doesn’t smell rich between 16-17 AFR.

Shot out to Gary(BlackFlareSide). Thanks for the info and insight on the big cam AFR change.

What are you guys using for better gas mileage AFR’s? I’ve got mine at 15.1 but wondering if it could be even leaner. I’m getting about 11.2 right now but I’m still tuning WOT refinement so needless to say it could and should be way better.

Also, I put some 305/45/18(Gen 2 wheels) NittoR’s on it and what a difference those and the long bars made for traction.

I’m going to record a video and see if Ray will post it for y’all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started getting ready for the Volvo electric power steering and the battery relocation.... maybe I'll start a build thread on a little upgrade coming this winter/spring....

3e5daa2b835de565e97b39f1ffb48a5f.jpg

Christmas Tree duty!

Getting ready to do a bunch of little stuff. Got oil, plugs, plug wires,cap rotor.
Also got my madramper CAI ready to install.
Got the LMR rear license bracket to install.
Also got some forever black to restore some faded plastic parts.

Trying to get my mini split installed so its nice and comfortable in the garage. But I had a chance to pick up a bullpup shotgun and thats been a LOT of fun. 12 gauge semi auto with 10 round clips. 😁😁😊

I’ve lost motivation. I walked away from it. I’ll come back later. My plan is to remove intake manifold, plug EGR port, ditch the coolant hose at the throttle body, install smog bypass, grind frame to clear passenger header, figure out how I’m gonna install all new 2.5” dual exhaust and run it out the stock location.

I did some much needed cold weather idle tuning on mine yesterday since it’s finally cold enough (40°). I’m having trouble getting the idle AFR just right. 14.7 still smells too rich(I think due to the cam) so I’m experimenting with higher AFR’s(idle only). Looks to idle good and doesn’t smell rich between 16-17 AFR.

Shot out to Gary(BlackFlareSide). Thanks for the info and insight on the big cam AFR change.

What are you guys using for better gas mileage AFR’s? I’ve got mine at 15.1 but wondering if it could be even leaner. I’m getting about 11.2 right now but I’m still tuning WOT refinement so needless to say it could and should be way better.

Also, I put some 305/45/18(Gen 2 wheels) NittoR’s on it and what a difference those and the long bars made for traction.

I went down a rabbit hole this morning learning how rich conditions and to much timing causes the ring land to lift/break and I coincidentally found some good information on the cruise AFR question.
6e98417b0e3e82db9f0b2908d9b1046d.jpg

The old start out fat/rich cause it’s safe combined with the cam gear being severely worn will cause a timing spike every time you lift from the throttle. Even slightly. I’ve seen it in my data logs. I think that is what caused or at least contributed to my pistons breaking. Another builder in the post was explaining that he tested the hardness of all the pistons that broke the ring land and they would always be around 25 points softer than they should from the excessive heat. It’s easy to see that my cylinders were very rich and HOT! This may explain how a N/a motor can break forged pistons.

Well I have the bed off to replace fuel pumps, had one go out. Getting things squared away to add boos after Christmas. One question I have is, I think my truck sits lower than stock and was wondering if you guys know the length of the stock shackles? They may have been replaced, but not sure how to tell.

Ordered the last parts on my list. When I get all the goodies I am taking the rear end up to Jerry after the 1st.

Now that I have school out of the way I'll have more time to get started installed the other parts I picked up in October :) TCE/Wilwood front brake upgrade, Eibach springs, Stifflers bars, Viking shocks, and a new drive shaft.

14.7 is only for straight gasoline. If you are using a winter blend with 10% ethanol in it like most pumps are these days your target is supposed to be 14.1.

Took it for a quick drive to buy a roll on bedliner kit and needed to top off the radiator as it started to get a little hot and its mid 50's here today. So there might be a leak... and there is definitely a leak in the front fuel tank starting today too! So looking around for best methods to fix that issue. Had enough light to swap in new speakers for the back stock ford speakers. Tomorrow the new front speakers go in, new window channel moulding & possibly the new computer that came with the truck Got a quote for a local shop to build a 2.5" exhaust mirroring the stock system setup and exit location. Reading the forums and looking for parts for the next tweaks. Seriously want to see more on that TorqueStorm Supercharger

In January is the plan. I have the truck torn apart for paint. February worst case. It will be on the motor in a week or two. Busy season for me I have been putting in 60 hours a week.

14.7 is only for straight gasoline. If you are using a winter blend with 10% ethanol in it like most pumps are these days your target is supposed to be 14.1.

I haven’t heard that. All pumps around here are up to 10% ethanol.

But I’m wondering why it smells rich at 14.7.

Ray, with the cam you have, what AFR are you running at idle?

I haven’t heard that. All pumps around here are up to 10% ethanol.

But I’m wondering why it smells rich at 14.7.

Ray, with the cam you have, what AFR are you running at idle?

I got that from training I did on Evans Performance Academy.

Back