Well that was exciting!

coldie

So I went on a weekend drive around the peninsula with a friend (driving a Porsche 911). REALLY put the truck through its paces and then, around 10 miles out of Aberdeen comes the radio call: "I'm smelling a lot of gas coming from your truck" I still have fuel pressure and truck is running fine and we are in the middle of nowhere, so I decide to just get to civilization...

In Hoquiem, there are stop lights and the smell of gas is VERY bad. I go from finding a service station to finding a large empty parking lot.

Park, get out and gas is literally pouring out the bottom of the truck. (now is when you very carefully do not panic).

After 20 minutes of rest, we try and diagnose. Long (harrowing) story short, my new fuel rails had somehow backed the screw holding them down out and then chewed through and injector o-ring. Gas was spraying everywhere. 120 mile tow home (thanks AAA Plus!) and it was easy to fix.

Truck is all good now, new o-ring and locktite on the fuel rails...

Still, amazingly fun driving and incredible trying to keep up with a 911 on the curves!

Coldie (who realizes this could have been a MUCH worse story)

Wow you got lucky! Glad your truck didnt burst into a fiery ball of flames!!

+1 for AAA. I have the "Plus RV" version that covers everything under the sun. Last year my buddies PCM fried just past North Bend and AAA paid to tow the truck and a 24' enclosed can hauler all the way to his house in Kittitas. That tow would have payed my membership for about 10 years and he is still buying me beers when we go out lol.

Back