Water to Air intercooler tank?

blownnjucied94

S-Trim is on...
I Support the NLOC
well, i'm in the process of having all my supercharger brackets/tensioners, factory accessory brackets, upper and lower intake and intercooler piping powder coated. while its apart, i plan to get my water-to-air intercooler set up. Need some advice:

Minimum size of water/ice tank in gallons?
I realize bigger is better, however...

I was planning on mounting the tank behind the battery on the fender well, it looks like i could easily do an 8"x8"x6" (WxLxD).

at 231in^3/gallon that works out to be 1.66 gallons plus piping and intercooler core...

do i need to worry about creating a bracket off of the fender, or will some sort of a bracket up from the frame work? or would the fender well support it?

I have all of the smog stuff removed from that area.

i was planning on using a small Rule pump for circulation.

Let me know what you think.

i've already got the air to water cooler, and, dare to be different then running the ebay or PSD cooler :)

I made brackets to support a stock IC tank that I got for FREE.
Picture_449.jpg

I've seen some gen 2 guys mount large ice/water tanks under the bed of the truck and plumb up to the front from there. That way you can go much larger 5-10 gallons and have the weight out back.

i've already got the air to water cooler, and, dare to be different then running the ebay or PSD cooler :)

I like different as much as the next guy, but his is like saying "I've already got a left hand, why don't I cut off my right hand so I can use my left one more."

I would go with a chilller tank from a gen 2 like someone else was saying.

I like different as much as the next guy, but his is like saying "I've already got a left hand, why don't I cut off my right hand so I can use my left one more."

I would go with a chilller tank from a gen 2 like someone else was saying.

I guess i'm taking your statment as "well i have my left hand but i'm right handed and the left isn't as efficient, so lets cut it off..."

the argument between air-to-air and air-to-water is what i am trying to avoid. Gen2 use air-to-water and make awesome power, diesels use air-to-air and make awesome power.

I have the air-to-water already, its been sitting in my garage, a buddy of mine has most of the hardware/water line to plumb the water side. I need to pick up a water/ice tank and pump.

I like the idea of packing the tank full of ice when i go to the track on a warm night.

with all that being said... back to the water/ice tank combo. what is the capacity of the Gen2 tank?

a buddy of mine gave me the idea for the rule pump. he said he's seen some fast guys on yellowbullet uses a set-up like that. he's got a 68 nova with a 383 and 96mm hairdryer. he's running a large air-to-water intercooler.

Last edited:
1 thing to add is. These hi hp gen 2s have to cool down. wait hr or so between passes.
I like the vortech cooler like on Foxbodys. Nice. neat. Simple

1 thing to add is. These hi hp gen 2s have to cool down. wait hr or so between passes.
I like the vortech cooler like on Foxbodys. Nice. neat. Simple

my core is similar to the vortech cooler.

i just looked at that set-up, i like the tank they have.

thanks for pointing me in that direction.

the argument between air-to-air and air-to-water is what i am trying to avoid. Gen2 use air-to-water and make awesome power, diesels use air-to-air and make awesome power.

The gen 2 uses an air to water because there is no good way to package an air to air with a roots blower. Air to air is much more efficient, much more reliable, and much simpler. That is why there are no air to water units used on any production application other than roots blowers.

I have the air-to-water already, its been sitting in my garage, a buddy of mine has most of the hardware/water line to plumb the water side. I need to pick up a water/ice tank and pump.

I like the idea of packing the tank full of ice when i go to the track on a warm night.

You can do better than that by discharging a CO2 bottle over the air to air and there is no liquid to deal with when you're done.

with all that being said... back to the water/ice tank combo. what is the capacity of the Gen2 tank?

Probably about a gallon. It isn't very big. The tank, heat exchangers and lines probably hold 2-3 gallons total.

a buddy of mine gave me the idea for the rule pump. he said he's seen some fast guys on yellowbullet uses a set-up like that. he's got a 68 nova with a 383 and 96mm hairdryer. he's running a large air-to-water intercooler.

On a car like a Nova where there is no quick and easy factory option that makes sense it is a good option. When you can pick up a PSD intercooler for $100 and it bolts right on the air to water option doesn't make as much sense.

IMHO, the only real advantage you have in an air to water is that it would allow you to use something like a killer chiller that uses your air conditioner to cool the intercooler, but you could also do that with the air to air system. No matter what you do, the air to water will never get the water colder than 32 degrees. If you used air and a CO2 system you could get it a lot colder than that.

do like jamie said and get a big 5-7 gallon tank and put it in the rear....and like i told you before...your best bet for info on this is going to be theturboforums.com

there is a 9 sec twin turbo mustang on there that can make 8-10 full wot passes with a 7 gal tank and never see more then a 8-10* iat rise...this is with no heat exchanger and on straight water.

Here's another thing I thought of last night for the air to water. Instead of water, what about using an antifreeze mixture like you cooling systema and chilling it with dry ice? That will knock another 40 or 50 degrees off of your fluid temps. You'll just have to have it well sealed so the fog doesn't get out of hand.

Here's another thing I thought of last night for the air to water. Instead of water, what about using an antifreeze mixture like you cooling systema and chilling it with dry ice? That will knock another 40 or 50 degrees off of your fluid temps. You'll just have to have it well sealed so the fog doesn't get out of hand.

you would have to vent it some how. There would be way too much pressure created.

and like i told you before...your best bet for info on this is going to be theturboforums.com

i know rob i know, but i like it here :eek:ldtu: i'll head over there too look, i'm not sure if i'm ready to mount in the bed... not sure if i want to take away from the bed usage... i've got the superduty now i know...

as far as a heat exchanger, i think i'll run one for street driving, not ready to make this a track only set up. i'll look into a bed mount unit...

you would have to vent it some how. There would be way too much pressure created.

We have to use dry ice in a sealed container all the time at work. It doesn't build much pressure. Even if it did, there are ways to work around that.

+1
if that anti-freeze leaks onto the track your gonna have some problems

But you won't if you blow a radiator hose? Sorry, that argument doesn't hold up.

When I get back to doing my Turbo truck. I am doing air to water. And like Jamie said my tank is going to mounted under the bed. I am going to run a heat exchanger as well.

Have you checked out ww.frozenboost.com? Think that's the name

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

i know rob i know, but i like it here :eek:ldtu: i'll head over there too look, i'm not sure if i'm ready to mount in the bed... not sure if i want to take away from the bed usage... i've got the superduty now i know...

as far as a heat exchanger, i think i'll run one for street driving, not ready to make this a track only set up. i'll look into a bed mount unit...

You still running a front tank? If not put that bad boy in its place and use a alumium fuel door as a trap door to get to it....no bed space needed.

Back