Wastegate question.

Turbosvt93

As of right now my wastegate is being recirculated. Is there advantaged to dumping it to atmosphere.

Adam

Only if there's something inadequate about the flow path or you like really loud, obnoxious noises. ;)

Properly designed and sized, there isn't a real advantage. If something is undersized, running it open will help alleviate that restriction.

I've been told that quicker response (wastegate) and of course less backpressure put back into the exhaust.

The really loud noises is a fallacy. At least it was on my truck. I never knew when the wastegate was open on mine.

What do mean undersized. I am just wondering because were we placed the wastegate, I was told that could be affecting the exhuast coming out of the turbo. If that makes any sense. But no I like it to be as quite as possible.

Heh, I hang around with a couple of open gate vehicles. It's DEFINITELY no fallacy.

If the wastegate is big enough, the wastegate plumbing is big enough, and the downpipe is big enough, you don't need to open to atmosphere. If any of those things are too small, you can get a bit of extra headroom by running the gate to atmosphere.

Maybe my single 4" exhaust with basically no muffler covered the wastegate noise! :D

I am ruuning a tial 40 or 48 wastegate. I run a 3.5 down pipe. And the piping coming off the wastegate is really samll.

Can someone tell me if my wastegate in pic in the other thread, is okay location or do I have to move it.

Here's your pic:

truck1.jpg

Jody

It may be, but unless you've got lower-than-expected power output or boost creep, it's not worth worrying about.

Quick question. The wastegate that I am running is a 46mm. Is this to big for the boost that I run. I am only running 7 now and after the rebuild I will see 10. I am going to push 15 when the built motor is finished. I know Daves kit is set-up for a 38mm, so I wonder if I should switch to this. Someone posted a website called ATP Turbo, I think. They have a 38/40mm hybrid wastegate, whats the advange to this.

Generally and all else being equal.....the higher you twist the boost knob the less waste gate you will need but the better down piping and and after turbo exhaust you will need. The higher boost will pump more air thru the motor but will also tax the wastegate and waste gate plumbing less.
If your system will hold 7psi now.....you got a pretty okay system.
I guess what I'm saying is that getting a turbo to run low boost generaly means you are bypassing a ton of exhaust gas and you need a lot of gate to do that.
Dale

Back