Vacuum Lines

JCrock8689

What of the Vaccum lines can I delete? Also can I remove the EGR solenoids and Bracket from the back of the intake without problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not all of them, just the useless ones. So if I can delete the EGR that should eliminate most of them?

Not all of them, just the useless ones. So if I can delete the EGR that should eliminate most of them?

Provided you're planning to have your ECU appropriately "tuned" you can eliminate the EGR and SMOG systems and also eliminate the resulting DTC.

The vacuum line associated with the MAP sensor needs to stay in place and operational.

With the EGR system left in place and operational you can eliminate the SMOG system and the associated with vacuum lines without triggering a DTC, but this takes a little careful removal and sensor nipple capping.

Provided you're planning to have your ECU appropriately "tuned" you can eliminate the EGR and SMOG systems and also eliminate the resulting DTC.

The vacuum line associated with the MAP sensor needs to stay in place and operational.

With the EGR system left in place and operational you can eliminate the SMOG system and the associated with vacuum lines without triggering a DTC, but this takes a little careful removal and sensor nipple capping.

I'm not trying to spam this topic, I started a similar thread but I'm reading around in it.

Is it a requirement to tune the ECU if you do the deletes?

Is it a requirement to tune the ECU if you do the deletes?

If you eliminate the EGR system and don't want a perpetual DTC ... yes.

If you eliminate the smog system and don't want a perpetual DTC ... yes.

If you retain the EGR and delete the smog pump and the associated vacuum lines but leave the throttle-body mounted sensors ... no.

Ok cool thanks. So does this not work?
2953826008b944ac7ef7cac933fab3d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just the "useless" vacuum lines? None of them are "useless."

Look at the sticker under your hood -- it shows you all the useful things the vacuum system does: MAP sensor, fuel pressure regulator, fuel vapor canister, vacuum reservoir for AC/heater system, and yes, the EGR system, and air injection system.

I'm starting to sound like Steve83 now! :)

Ok cool thanks. So does this not work?
2953826008b944ac7ef7cac933fab3d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sometimes for a while.
It may still throw a code.
I used one for a bit
Then had it all (smog related items) removed and eliminated in the ecu via tune.

So going off of this information. I can remove the smog pump and associated vacume lines and just leave the tab/tad solenoids plugged in electrically?
My situation is this, my recently purchased truck is pretty much stock from what i have been able to gather from previous owners.
I know a 70mm throttle body and PO has said mild cam. Also straight pipes from cat. Convertors back. Thats all i know. So i have been gathering a few aftermarket parts and reading on this site. I am going to pull the engine to address an oil pan/ timing cover coolant leak. So while I’m there i am gonna install the the parts I’ve acquired. From LMR i have bassani shorty headers and off-road midpipe, the smog delete pulley with bore plugs, flex-a-lite 420 e-fan and stuckby harness. Tps and Os sensor. Just wanting to clean up the engine bay while in there. My thermactor
Solenoids are just hanging loose behind the tb, so i need to figure that out.im assuming after changing the tb there was no place to secure them so whoever just left them laying. Anyone ever have this issue after upgrade? Gonna do compression and leak down test before removal to check internal condition. Only 110k on engine and running good so i don’t foresee much there. So after all this i can update my signature and be able to communicate better.. sorry for the long post but help with the smog issue would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So going off of this information. I can remove the smog pump and associated vacume lines and just leave the tab/tad solenoids plugged in electrically?
My situation is this, my recently purchased truck is pretty much stock from what i have been able to gather from previous owners.
I know a 70mm throttle body and PO has said mild cam. Also straight pipes from cat. Convertors back. Thats all i know. So i have been gathering a few aftermarket parts and reading on this site. I am going to pull the engine to address an oil pan/ timing cover coolant leak. So while I’m there i am gonna install the the parts I’ve acquired. From LMR i have bassani shorty headers and off-road midpipe, the smog delete pulley with bore plugs, flex-a-lite 420 e-fan and stuckby harness. Tps and Os sensor. Just wanting to clean up the engine bay while in there. My thermactor
Solenoids are just hanging loose behind the tb, so i need to figure that out.im assuming after changing the tb there was no place to secure them so whoever just left them laying. Anyone ever have this issue after upgrade? Gonna do compression and leak down test before removal to check internal condition. Only 110k on engine and running good so i don’t foresee much there. So after all this i can update my signature and be able to communicate better.. sorry for the long post but help with the smog issue would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rick,

I got your PM ... apologies for not responding sooner.

I did some digging into old posts and I think post #4 in the thread linked below might assist you.

Let me me know if it doesn’t.

https://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php/221190-Smog-CEL?highlight=smog

FWIW, there is zero performance improvement removing the smog related items. None. Zilch. EGR is actually a huge advantage under normal driving conditions and taking it off will negatively impact your mileage. If you're keeping the cats, you don't want to remove the AIR.

Back in the early days of smog, most of these systems were junk, but on a fully-EFI vehicle, they all serve a purpose and have a positive impact.

I ran mine until I changed to an ECU that wouldn't run the EGR or AIR anymore.

Oh, ok thanks for the info I will likely leave it on and go the direction you (FMOS) has. At a later date I may go Pimpxshift. I sure like having the information from this site to make my decisions

Mine will be when the mid- pipe goes on. So I was thinking of capping the tubes on the bassani set up.

Good deal, I think I will just to clean clean it all up a bit. As I said i have the off road mid pipe so I’ll have no cats. Boxes off parts, just need the time.

76e16e9820f6b4f300b88baf46a2f433.jpg

Back