Twin Turbo Build...

BlackL03

Being Blown Feels Gooood!
Well after being away from the performance truck scene for awhile I am itching to get back into it... this time with twin turbos. This is probably going to turn into a 4-6 month build of as close to my dream truck as possible as long as $$$$ is there.

Starting off my goals are 800+ STREETABLE RWHP. Quick spooling (hence twins), reliable, and can be turned up for the track (will have street and race tunes).

Truck:
2009 F150 Ext. or Crew Cab. Probably Fx2 since it comes with the color coded bumpers and grill. It will be black and it will be murdered inside and out.
Exterior mods will include:
22" KMC Slide wheels & low pro tires
4/7 lowering kit
window tint
and more.

Interior mods will include:
Corbeau Racing seats (front and back)
Custom Alpine sound system (2000watts)
Everything black. (fx2 comes with ebony interior)

ENGINE (I know you were dying to get here!)
stock 5.4l block
ModMax racing rotating assembly (billet rods, CP forged pistons, forged crank)... good for over 1000rwhp
Home port and Polished heads
CompCams Stage III cams
CompCams High Load valve prings
Compcams titanium retainers
Bosche 85lb injectors
****What kind of fuel pump should I use????****

Engine built by me, and then balanced at a shop. Do I need this if Rotating assembly is internally balanced from modmax?

Turbo system (some questions please help me decide)

****Masterpowers Turbo... Cant decide on the size! I am going back between a T-61 or T-64 with .68a/r exhaust on both... which one will give me QUICK spool but not run out at the top end? Or is there another choice from masterpowers?

Tial 38mm wastegates
Tial 50mm BOV
Treadstone 2in/1out intercooler
Custom made tubing by me.

Transmission
I HAVE NO IDEA. I like the idea of the 6 speed, but cant find any thing on bullet proofing them sicne they are so new... Could I swap in a JLP built tranny 4 speed for the 99-04 lightning???

Pretty much i am going to try to find a low mileage 2009-2010 f150 FX2 and turn it into a monster....and yes before you ask the motor will be black :thumbup:

Thanks for the help, and I hope you enjoy the build once it starts here in a few weeks!

I am sure a regular cab would be lighter but I like having the option of taking more than one person with me when going somewhere... I had my fun with the lightning back in the day and now want something more practical from a cab standpoint... I'm not looking to be the fastest truck... But would like to be one of the fastest 4 door full size trucks on the road/ track!

Ditch the stage 3 cams. You don't need that much cam for a turbo application and they'll actually hurt power. Go with a 60mm BOV. If you're wanting 800rwhp on a street tune, you're going to need at least 64's, if not 70mm turbos. I make 718rwhp on 15psi and a conservative tune with my 88.

right on sinister... i did some more research and couldnt agree more about the cams. If I do decide to add cams (for sound more than anything) they will be a mild cam...

I was looking at the Masterpowers T-64 / P Trim in either a .68 or .70 A/R exhaust... Is that the way to go?

Also what about the fuel system? Can i just run new injectors with a new high output pump on the stock lines and rails? What fuel pump/ pumps would yall recommend?

Last edited:
right on sinister... i did some more research and couldnt agree more about the cams. If I do decide to add cams (for sound more than anything) they will be a mild cam...

I was looking at the Masterpowers T-64 / P Trim in either a .68 or .70 A/R exhaust... Is that the way to go?

Honestly, I'm not familiar with MP turbos so I really couldn't tell you what they're capable of.

If you are planning on having it tuned via SCT or Diablo, I'd ditch the 85# injectors and either go with SD 60's and have the tuner up the FP in the tune (if it stays returnless), or use FMS 80's. I'm pretty sure none of the tuners have really good values for those 85# injectors and would have to work them up from scratch which is a pain and sometimes results in drivability issues. I'd be inclined, with your goals, to convert to a return style fuel system with a sumped tank - twin Walbro 255 external pumps, upgraded lines, etc. The added benefit is you could definitely run 60's and just manually up the FP to like 50-60 base and have more actual injector than the 85's with stock base FP. Just my opinion though... Oh, and I'd run a PMAS HPX MAF in blow through in like a 3.5-4" tube where you could get away with probably not needing a MAF.ia too as you would if you used a 3" tube...

Last edited:
If you have a good tuner (like me) you can also convert to a low impedence injector and the sky is the limit as far as injector size. I run 120# in my truck.

So Sinister... what have you done with your fuel system? Parts and all of that?

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it!

Fore Precision Works triple pump fuel hat, 3 Walbro fuel pumps, -10an feed and -6an return Fragola lines and fittings, Metco billet fuel rails, Aeromotive FPR, AEM injector driver, Racetronix 120# injectors.

The MP turbos you were looking at will get you the power you want But IF you can afford it do a set of precision 67mm hybrid(ported shroud,bigger billet wheel) ball bearing turbos for the 5.4 mod with the small (.70 ) exhaust housing. There is a truck fixing to hit the street scene and these are the turbos I recommended for him also and he comes into boost as fast as my 76mm did on my 351w!!!( vacuum to boost in 300rpm!!). I also agree with the driveabilty issues of some of the injectors but that really comes down to your tuner. We are lucky down here and have one of the best mod motor tuners in the country near us.

Iam doing a Twin Turbo build myself with master power T-70s on a 393w in my Gen1. But After thats done I am selling my Gen2 and getting a HD truck and doing the exact twins listed above on it!!

Fore Precision Works triple pump fuel hat, 3 Walbro fuel pumps, -10an feed and -6an return Fragola lines and fittings, Metco billet fuel rails, Aeromotive FPR, AEM injector driver, Racetronix 120# injectors.

Do you feel all that is necessary to support 900rwhp? ...

Do you think I could get away with some injectors and a new fuel pump (or 2) lol...

Thanks for the heads up on the turbos Turbogumby... I cant afford those precisions but they sure sound nice!

Do you think I could get away with some injectors and a new fuel pump (or 2) lol...

Thanks for the heads up on the turbos Turbogumby... I cant afford those precisions but they sure sound nice!

You are def gonna need more fuel delivery than the stock lines and a pair of pumps can feed! And yeah I cant afford the precisions either thats why I am doing the Master Power turbos myself

I dont know to much about fuel systems... i can build an engine, rebuild a trans, and c-notch a frame but i cant wrap my head around a fuel system:?...

Can someone please point me to a kit I can use? or to the correct parts?

Is it totally necessary for 1000rwhp? Probably not, but I left myself room to grow as well. I'm confident that I could put down 1100rwhp with more boost and timing, and better dyno conditions (it was over 100* and extremely humid when I dyno'd). I didn't want to do the fuel system twice, so I built it big. I also left myself some room to run an E85 tune on the street as well.

my master powers t70 failed on me. began to seize :( i dont think it was balanced very well.

ive got a borg warner now.

id go with precision, or a borg warner, i also like turbonetics.

good luck with your build!

Back