Turbos for Dummies

Bootleggers DLX

Shifts Happen
Hey everyone, I typically just hang out in the Gen 1 section, but i felt that this forum is the best place to ask about a direction on where to go.

I've always built NA engines, both efi and carbed, but i feel that i want to turn this next 460 i am putting on the stand this weekend into a single Turbo build. The thing is, i really hve no clue on what all needs to change between an NA bottom end and a turbo bottom end. i know the ring gaps need widened, but idk how much. im a bit lost on cam shaft choices, etc.

Can someone, anyone, everyone point me in the right direction so that i can at least learn the basics before i dig into this engine?

I appreciate all the help, and love seeing all your wonderful trucks come together.

Lee

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell is a great read. It's aimed more at building the turbo setup than the motor, but there's still a ton of great information in it.

Camshaft should be left to an expert who can recommend/grind something specific to your combination - they'll set it up based on your intake, exhaust, heads, compression, RPM range, etc.

People here have made 800-odd horsepower on stock 351 bottoms, so with a 460... well... how much power do you want to make? If you're only looking for 600-800 or so, I wouldn't change anything in the bottom. If you want 1000+, I'd put decent rods and pistons in it if you have it apart. It goes up from there.

So, I guess that points out that the first step is "Define your goals."

So, I guess that points out that the first step is "Define your goals."

In the words of Ricky Bobby, 'I wanna go fast'.

Realistically, I'm considering this a learning build. It's going in my 78 Thunderbird, a land yacht that got me through my teenage and college years, and has been waiting for a decade and a half for me to do it up proper. I'm not looking for any set power goal in mind, the 460 is already a potent engine if built properly, so I want to see what happens when i add boost to it. I want to learn how to tune it, i want to learn how it reacts.

The further down the line goal is that i will build a 460 based stroker and turbocharge it to go into my 95 Lightning clone, Silver.

Back