Turbo 5.8 budget build

3fifty

Hey all, been looking around the internet for some answers and this place seems to be a great wealth of knowledge. I'll start out by saying this isn't for a lightning, it's for a 1991 F350. I've been wanting to give it some actual power cuz a crew cab long bed on 37s is real sluggish when powered by a bone stock 351W with a 5 speed behind it.

I'm looking to put together a parts list for a nice budget turbo 5.8 build. She's gonna be my daily so nothing insane, but I'm looking for 400HP-ish. Never turbod a vehicle before so simple talk is good talk.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

My experience is turbo and budget shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Others may feel differently but that has been my experience.

My experience is turbo and budget shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Others may feel differently but that has been my experience.

X2 on that.

Everyone’s budget is different. At least he didn’t say cheap!!! He might have a $100k budget. Anyway welcome to the forum.

If 400hp is all your going for do a Vortech Supercharger with 8 or so lbs of boost and be done.
Turbo is difficult because you gotta fabricate a lot to make it work. Doubt there are any bolt in kits for a truck.

If 400hp is all your going for do a Vortech Supercharger with 8 or so lbs of boost and be done.
Turbo is difficult because you gotta fabricate a lot to make it work. Doubt there are any bolt in kits for a truck.

This! In my honest opinion you would be much better off with a blower.

I Would say and what I think you meant was..

“I want the cheapest turbo setup I can do at the moment and we will see how much horsepower I get when done. I want to daily drive and build up from there if I want too.”

If you don't have a welder/can't weld forget it.

I ran eBay turbos and obx twin turbo headers for a fox body for quite a while. eBay turbos are hit or miss though, I did get one that smoked and had to send it back.

My current setup is a $600 borgwarner, and a hot side I welded together with flux core mig.

I'd pick up a blower kit.

Like above turbo and budget doesn't work on these trucks

Now if it was a 04 silverado or a 93 fox or 94 up stang yea could do it cheap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

She’s got 410s. How much does a blower run for these engines? Would I have to build it a little to handle the boost?

She’s got 410s. How much does a blower run for these engines? Would I have to build it a little to handle the boost?
For that power goal if the stock motor is healthy should be ok. Centris are nice because it's a slow build in power so it's easier on the motor. Turbos and positive displacement blowers tend to hit pretty hard. So as far as reliability and supporting mods centrifugal blowers like the Vortech are a very good option. It never hurts to build a motor for boost but you can usually get away with a decent power bump. And with 410s you will feel it more when the boost comes in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I guess I should have just asked what the cheapest way to 350-400 hp is. being a 17 year old, I’m fairly limited in my spending. If possible keeping everything under 2 grand. Not sure how realistic that is but I guess I’ll find out!

Thanks for all the info and such so far, this forum is A1

2K isn’t realistic at all. If you bought a brand new supercharger head unit your in the $2,500-$3,500 price range alone. You’ll need brackets, pulleys, blow off valve, tubing, filter, FMU & lines (or a way to tune in the extra fuel), ignition box, etc, etc

You can save money by buying used stuff but I don’t see 2k coming close.

Jamie he might could piece things together for close to $2k. Used head unit and can buy the bracketry on eBay for $500 I think. Then it's nickel and dime stuff really. Could also do a mid mount turbo set up but you need to know how to weld or have a good friend that does.

Off top of my head. I am probably around 340hp-360hp range.
My setup is the equivelant to a Wal-mart setup if there was one.

Supercharger (Powerdyne) $660 from EBay
Supercharger Rebuilt kit $150 (got 1 year before I needed it)
New Powerdyne Install kit $900 from EBay
VORTECH FMU $190 from Summit
FMU lines (mustang ones work) $75 used EBay
MSD BTM6 $440 Summit
MSD Coil $50 Summit
NGK plugs $40ish EBay
Bosch Blow off valve $40 EBay
Walbro Fuel pump off EBay around $90 with fittings
Zex or Hobbs pressure switch $40 Summit
Painless fuel pump relay kit around $50 from Summit
Autometer Wideband gauge $225ish Summit
Autometer Fuel pressure gauge $200ush Summit
Autometer boost gauge $75ish Summit
3 gauge pod holder $40 EBay
That’s all I can think of...

You can have a pretty awesome nitrous setup for well under $2000 and have enough for a spare bottle and all the extras... like bottle heater, purge, blow down tube, etc. I had a lot of fun with my old nitrous kit. Wished I woulda kept it.

Back