Transmissions

CJDavid

Recently bought a ‘93 with 97k miles on it. Fun truck. My son and I have plans for it and i am trying to find out if there is a better transmission like a 6 speed or something like that. I have a set of stage 3 Trickflow heads. Still figuring out what cam profile I want. Going to change out the rear gear to a more friendly highway 373. At some point we hope to put a 76mm turbo. Will be using the Holley ecu. Anyone using a different transmission like what I am thinking? Don’t remember at this point what Mustangs were using.

what is your reasoning for wanting to ditch the E4? when built they can handle quite the beating. very tough transmission when upgraded correctly. What your thinking is a probably a 6R80 from the new mustang/f150. also a very robust transmission but the cost of the swap would be hard to justify over a built e4od.

Just wanting a friendlier rpm on the high way. Not really wanting to race the truck much. I will take it to the track for fun maybe a few times just for kicks and time slips.
thanks for getting back to me.

I have a similar combination, 3.73 gears, turbocharged, AFR heads, custom cam, but still the E4OD.

I keep waiting for the 10r80 controller to come out. They say it'll be this year. Apparently the 6r80 small block adapter will work. If that controller has a 1st gear lockout, that would be amazing. Lowest RPMs would drop would be 4600 from my math with 4.1 and a 30" tire. Stays above 5k for last few shifts

Attachments

• RPM Shifts.jpg
    RPM Shifts.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 22
I keep waiting for the 10r80 controller to come out. They say it'll be this year. Apparently the 6r80 small block adapter will work. If that controller has a 1st gear lockout, that would be amazing. Lowest RPMs would drop would be 4600 from my math with 4.1 and a 30" tire. Stays above 5k for last few shifts
FWIW, I have the 10 speed in my 2019 and I think swapping one into a truck with any measurably low end torque is a waste of time and money. All it does is hunt for gears and I even ordered it with 3.73s to minimize that. The 6 speed would be great, but the 10 speed would be nothing more than a novelty.

FWIW, I have the 10 speed in my 2019 and I think swapping one into a truck with any measurably low end torque is a waste of time and money. All it does is hunt for gears and I even ordered it with 3.73s to minimize that. The 6 speed would be great, but the 10 speed would be nothing more than a novelty.
I wouldn't say that. Look at the Whippled coyote trucks. The 10 speed trucks are consistently faster. Heck they trap almost the same as turbo trucks. As long as you can hook up then the mechanical advantage should always help. I have seen first hand the difference of a 6r80 supercharged and a 10r80 supercharged coyote can do. The 10 speed embarrasses it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I can see the 10r80 issues being a concern for a daily driver, but for all out performance, I'd def consider it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that with an aftermarket controller you will have a lot ability to tune it to your liking. I also think some people just don’t like DBW. I love my 3.5 eco boost truck with the 10 speed.

My wife's 2022 explorer has the 2.3l and 10 speed. I really didn't even drive it much before I did a 5 star tune. Wow world of difference especially in the transmission. Ray is 100% right, with a good tune that trans is great. No hunting feels firm, stays in the sweet spot. I would recommend a tune for any new car especially the turbo ones.

I’ve got a 2020 5.0 4x4 with 10 speed and 3.55 gears on stock tires. Sport / towing mode is good. Normal mode up shifts a little too quickly. I don’t feel like it’s hunting gears and from a dig, other than the lag caused by the cam phasers, it’s a beast in a 4x4 high. I’m looking at an OZ tune but have been waiting on the RD interface to come back in stock. Got an email last week that they have so won’t be long..

75be87618b84471167fdbaae48c08d9f.jpg

I have a 5star tune in my 2012 raptor and the 2022 explorer. Both are great. They also have a lifetime warranty. When ford did a recall on the raptor (brake tune?) I just sent 5star an email and the next day 3 new tunes. Good guys to work with.

I wouldn't say that. Look at the Whippled coyote trucks. The 10 speed trucks are consistently faster. Heck they trap almost the same as turbo trucks. As long as you can hook up then the mechanical advantage should always help. I have seen first hand the difference of a 6r80 supercharged and a 10r80 supercharged coyote can do. The 10 speed embarrasses it.

There's no doubt it would be faster, but it doesn't sound like this thread is only about speed. The 4R100 in my L feels like it's always doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing and is always in the right gear for the occasion, and if it isn't it finds it on the first try with no issues. My 10 speed feels like it's never in the right gear at part throttle and might try 2 or 3 three before deciding which one is correct and by the time it chooses one it isn't the one it needs any more. It never feels right in any mode. It sounds like I may need to try a tune on it. I really don't want to mod it, but I guess if that's what it takes to make it drive like it should from the factory I'll give it a shot.

There's no doubt it would be faster, but it doesn't sound like this thread is only about speed. The 4R100 in my L feels like it's always doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing and is always in the right gear for the occasion, and if it isn't it finds it on the first try with no issues. My 10 speed feels like it's never in the right gear at part throttle and might try 2 or 3 three before deciding which one is correct and by the time it chooses one it isn't the one it needs any more. It never feels right in any mode. It sounds like I may need to try a tune on it. I really don't want to mod it, but I guess if that's what it takes to make it drive like it should from the factory I'll give it a shot.

That's weird, mine doesn't feel like that even in normal mode.

I can I agree that I don't care for ford's shift program on my 2019 f150 with 5.0 and 10 speed. I have a tune mine now and it's much better. Ideally I would like to tune it myself but not familiar with that software. I am very particular about the trans tuning.

That's weird, mine doesn't feel like that even in normal mode.
What year is yours? Reading through the comments it seems like the people that like them have newer ones and the other 2019 owner and I don't care for their driving characteristics that much.

I really don't get the reasoning for all of the modes on a modern vehicle. Seems like marketing bunk to me. I feel like it does more to the DBW system than it does the transmission. Anything the modes do to the transmission the PCM should be smart enough to do based on other parameters.

Beyond how they drive, there have been issues with the 10 speed that Ford and GM haven't been able to figure out unless they've done something about it recently. I can't speak for GM, but Ford doesn't even seem interested in fixing it. They just want to keep reflashing it until the warranty expires and then try to dump it on the owner.

Mine’s a 2019 FX4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost. 3.55 gears trailer tow etc. I agree the “modes” are more DBW than anything.

My shifts change drastically with each mode. Tow and Sport mode holds the gear longer when downshifting and is more sensitive to load when upshiftjng. Eco and rain mode shifts super quick and kind of lugs.

Back