Transmission Shifter is out of Phase

Chris93Red

I was driving my 1993 F150 Lighting around town and made a stop at one of shop's. When i went to turn the truck on it wouldnt do anything. At first i thought it was a bad ignition relay, replaced it and nothing happened. Guy a the auto store told me to shift my truck then start it, Thats when i notice my shifter was out of phase.

instead of being at park the needle was at 2nd gear and barely moved when shifting. The Truck does start but I hate the fact i have to shift it before starting.

How Can i fix this problem?

Sounds like the PRND switch (MLPS) on the side of the transmission might be worn out. The pointer in the dash is just a wire connection to the shifter position, the actual mechanical "notches" are in that selector on the transmission.

There’s also an alignment btwn the ignition switch on the underside of the column and the shift lever

...i thought it was a bad ignition relay...
There isn't one. What exactly did you replace? With what (brand/PN/source)? Post pics.
When i went to turn the truck on it wouldnt do anything.
The key wouldn't turn? The steering wheel didn't unlock? The radio didn't come on? No dash lights?
...instead of being at park the needle was at 2nd gear and barely moved when shifting. The Truck does start but I hate the fact i have to shift it before starting.
How Can i fix this problem?
You have to ID the problem before you can fix it. Right now, you're only (vaguely) describing the SYMPTOMS. And your description seems to indicate 2 independent & simultaneous failures (assuming NONE of these symptoms were present before). The shift indicator suggests that the shifter is loose/worn/broken. The key suggests the actuators inside the column are coming apart. Read this page, the NEXT few, and the links on them:

(click this text)

Does it have the old style column or the "new" style? I can't remember when they changed. The newer style has a shift arm at the bottom of the shift shaft that is held on with two Torx screws (#34 on the right side of the pic linked above). The screws loosen over time and keep the shifter from moving the MLPS all the way to park. I'd check this first.

Sounds like the PRND switch (MLPS) on the side of the transmission might be worn out. The pointer in the dash is just a wire connection to the shifter position, the actual mechanical "notches" are in that selector on the transmission.

Cool thank you, how can i fix the pointer so it matches the notches?

There isn't one. What exactly did you replace? With what (brand/PN/source)? Post pics.

The key wouldn't turn? The steering wheel didn't unlock? The radio didn't come on? No dash lights?

You have to ID the problem before you can fix it. Right now, you're only (vaguely) describing the SYMPTOMS. And your description seems to indicate 2 independent & simultaneous failures (assuming NONE of these symptoms were present before). The shift indicator suggests that the shifter is loose/worn/broken. The key suggests the actuators inside the column are coming apart. Read this page, the NEXT few, and the links on them:

(click this text)
You're of NO HELP at all Steve. All you are is a Troll.

There’s also an alignment btwn the ignition switch on the underside of the column and the shift lever
Does it have the old style column or the "new" style? I can't remember when they changed. The newer style has a shift arm at the bottom of the shift shaft that is held on with two Torx screws (#34 on the right side of the pic linked above). The screws loosen over time and keep the shifter from moving the MLPS all the way to park. I'd check this first.

Thank you both for your help

Back