Transmission cooler lines

JamesJ

I tweeked my lines removing the engine/trans/everything for this rebuild. I looked at the parts find thread but no luck on a part number. Imc seems to only have line for 80-86 and 87-90 all for a C6 trans.

What are my options to replace these lines to the radiator and cooler? as always any help is appreciated, yall have been bailing me out of many a bind during this restoration project! And i know i'll have many more questions as im about to drop the trans and motor back in shortly.....

Tweaking them doesn't necessitate replacing them. I tweak them all the time when I add the external filter that Ford recommends.

I may be short selling my tweak lol, my wrench slipped and twisted the lines up pretty good. I didn’t realize until a full rotation on the upper part of the old radiator. I’m going to investigate but I wanted to make sure I had a backup plan just in case.

Mr Steve I have to say again the pictures and info you’ve provided me is greatly appreciated.

This item is for sale on LightningRodder. It is a super duty trans cooler kit with lines that go all the way to the transmission, bypassing the radiator entirely. SVT Tim's kits are exceptionally nice and well done.

If it's already sold, which it isn't marked as being, I have his phone number. I send people to him all the time for kits. He makes a heater hose kit which gets rid of the spaghetti stock hoses, and installs new hoses that you can barely see in good light. He makes some really nice intercooler hoses, which get rid of the hard lines on the side of the blower, and allow you to route them out to the fender for a cleaner look.

Anyone that wants his number, you can text me at 405-596-7098.

Sorry, I didn't realize I was posting in the Gen. I section. My bad.

Last edited:
This item is for sale on LightningRodder. It is a super duty trans cooler kit with lines that go all the way to the transmission, bypassing the radiator entirely. SVT Tim's kits are exceptionally nice and well done.

If it's already sold, which it isn't marked as being, I have his phone number. I send people to him all the time for kits. He makes a heater hose kit which gets rid of the spaghetti stock hoses, and installs new hoses that you can barely see in good light. He makes some really nice intercooler hoses, which get rid of the hard lines on the side of the blower, and allow you to route them out to the fender for a cleaner look.

See This is what I was looking at getting, a flexible hose line Direct to the trans not hard piped! Very cool stuff. Of course I bought a SVE 3 core rad already last year to avoid price hikes and back orders but I guess I’d just have to throw plugs into it to run this. Very very interesting!

Damn I got excited 😆, it’s for gen 2 only? I thought the lines seemed shorter lol

Damn I got excited 😆, it’s for gen 2 only? I thought the lines seemed shorter lol

I know. Sorry. The Gen. II has a 4R100. I don't know what the Gen. I has. I wonder if Tim could make a set up for the Gen. I.

SVT Tim. 1 832-622-4583.

I know. Sorry. The Gen. II has a 4R100. I don't know what the Gen. I has. I wonder if Tim could make a set up for the Gen. I.

SVT Tim. 1 832-622-4583.
Gen1 has an E4OD, the 4R100 and E4OD are very similar and share quite a few parts. I'd be interested in the cooler fitting sizes, I bet they are the same.

Those pics Steve83 posted look eerily familiar. I "tweaked" my lines in my '91 Ranger when I was replacing the water pump (which turned into a electric fan upgrade as well). Since I was already in a pinch (weekend repair); I cut the fitting off the OE trans line and flared 3/8" aluminum line to take its place. It looked funky with the DeRale trans cooler I installed a couple years earlier (used leftover 6AN line for that).

Unfortunately, I can't find any pictures of that; as that was 2 iPhones ago. I do have pics of the lessons learned from that experience. These are of the trans cooling lines for the Crown Vic; as that had no stock offerings for such things in '86. I ended cutting the hot line back and rerouting it through the rad core support. I should have routed the hard line differently too; I may revisit that in the future.

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1453.JPEG

Where you live and when you drive can make bypassing the radiator a not-so-great idea. If you drive year-round in areas where it gets below freezing, you really want to keep the radiator portion of the circuit.

Can't you just block off the trans cooler for a spell, until temps get up. My self, my Gen. II is not a d.d. I do drive it in the winter, but only on days when the weather is good. Otherwise, it stays in the garage I'm in the process of putting a super duty trans cooler in it now, while the front fascia gets repaired. I'm likely going to leave the radiator portion in the circuit. Since the super duty cooler deals with the fluid after it leaves the radiator, it should still be good.

The Crown Vic will not be seeing winter driving again whilst in my possession. I will cover the trans cooler with a sheet of plastic or a heavy plastic bag in the winter, just to see what effect it will have. Otherwise, it will be a fair weather cruiser.

Just for the ultra picky reference, the 2 lines that attach to the trans cooler are slightly different from standard cooling VRS the HD cooling/tow package. due to the trans cooler being longer on the later. Ford also changed these coolers often through the run of these f series and broncos almost every other year getting larger for both standard and tow package coolers. I have switched my trucks to the largest coolers 96 and ?
these are truly huge compared to earlier years.
super easy to swap out as you just need the 2 lines that attach to the cooler and the trans cooler.
If you have access to wreck yards, I use a whole can of carb clean back and forth and compressed air to make sure the used coolers are internally very clean before use.

Back