Trans harness differences

slow94

Looking to get a replacement trans harness and there is one on Facebook from a 1996 f250 with e4od. Now I know there was differences between 93-95 lightnings but not sure if the 94+ trucks had the same connectors or not.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

If there was a change, you'd just have to replace the connector. The functions are the same for '94 through the 4R100 years as far as I know.

I remember seeing a lot of information on US shifts website. Here is a link to their connector guide:

I would also like to know where to get the connectors as I have seen several built 4r100’s that I could use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am surprised there are no replacement harnesses out there. Lmr has them for the gen 2 trucks.

I am surprised there are no replacement harnesses out there. Lmr has them for the gen 2 trucks.

I have been going through this for quite a while. 96 harness might work for you, but you will have to change the solenoid harness connector and it has extra wiring for the tail shaft speed sensor, and they might be pinned differently. I’m currently still working on this.

The original wiring harnesses that I found were in pretty bad shape, even if they look decent, when you start pulling wires away from each other there are lots of bare, crusty spots. The stock exhaust wasn’t far from the plug locations.
f5efa642498db3b6896fd7e529ecb48f.jpg

The best I have found to getting a new harness is to use the US Shift web site to identify the 2 connectors on your transmission (they both changed 93-96). Or see the guide attached

Then call US Shift and order the 2 connectors, the plugs come with about 10 ft of new wire connected. You can then basically rebuild your harness using only your square 14 pin from your old harness, if you have one. If not you can buy a NOS for $50 or so. This is best choice because you pin new wiring, no splices.

I have called US Shift many times and The same guy has always always answered. He is very helpful, patient, and knowledgeable. I think his name is Kevin.

If you don’t already have the newer version of the analog range sensor you will want to upgrade it. The old version had water intrusion problems. In the picture old is on top new is on bottom.
c52b1de64d77d87655e3d30e6edfeb20.jpg

No need to try to use the newer digital range sensor. I talked to Stinger about this.

Here’s a full wiring diagram that I found
ea3442a4c579c7f36eee20911cb9971e.jpg

Early Solenoid Connector
e6f1eead297f814e8bf1a6b8a8923b0f.jpg

View attachment connectorguide-e4od.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
i have one of their original shift controllers, still works after 14 years. they are definitely knowledgeable on fords, they know wire colors by heart. one of the most patient, knowledgeable, friendly company ive ever delt with, they even offered me a discount because my controller was so old.

ive built several harnesses, i just went to the junk yard and pulled connectors that i needed. i think the 4r100 has 3 connectors instead of 2 like the e4od. i wrap the exhaust side in either fiberglass wrap or foil tape.

Last edited:
I have been going through this for quite a while. 96 harness might work for you, but you will have to change the solenoid harness connector and it has extra wiring for the tail shaft speed sensor, and they might be pinned differently. I’m currently still working on this.

The original wiring harnesses that I found were in pretty bad shape, even if they look decent, when you start pulling wires away from each other there are lots of bare, crusty spots. The stock exhaust wasn’t far from the plug locations.
f5efa642498db3b6896fd7e529ecb48f.jpg

The best I have found to getting a new harness is to use the US Shift web site to identify the 2 connectors on your transmission (they both changed 93-96). Or see the guide attached

Then call US Shift and order the 2 connectors, the plugs come with about 10 ft of new wire connected. You can then basically rebuild your harness using only your square 14 pin from your old harness, if you have one. If not you can buy a NOS for $50 or so. This is best choice because you pin new wiring, no splices.

I have called US Shift many times and The same guy has always always answered. He is very helpful, patient, and knowledgeable. I think his name is Kevin.

If you don’t already have the newer version of the analog range sensor you will want to upgrade it. The old version had water intrusion problems. In the picture old is on top new is on bottom.
c52b1de64d77d87655e3d30e6edfeb20.jpg

No need to try to use the newer digital range sensor. I talked to Stinger about this.

Here’s a full wiring diagram that I found
ea3442a4c579c7f36eee20911cb9971e.jpg

Early Solenoid Connector
e6f1eead297f814e8bf1a6b8a8923b0f.jpg

View attachment 102969

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Alright, I will pass this to my uncle. He got this Lightning project and we will confirm if it really needs a new trans harness. We'll take her in after installing the rotors and new tires from 4Wheelonline this weekend.

yup, just go one wire at a time, and have someone check over your work for human error.
I removed harness and all wires had continuity at connectors. Got my ECU back from stinger, plugged back in and all working again.. weird.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

What was the original problem Derrick?

My pimpxshift ECU wasn't communicating at all with the transmission. I sent ECU back to get "tested" but they didn't find anything wrong, couldn't recreate the problem, and don't know what could have even caused it. It's all communicating now though. Strange.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Yea that is wired! Glad it worked though. May have been little corrosion issue..

Back