traction bars 101

I just saw this thread and wanted to add. Iv'e had Cal-Tracs on my street driven truck for about 5 years and they never made any noise. When the truck was relatively stock with a small power adder it cut low 1.6 60ft times on slicks and I was very happy with them. This isn't an apples to apples comparison but I know who Al Jiminez is (We used to street race years ago) and his Camaro is currently the fastest leaf spring car in the country. It's no secret that to hook on a leaf spring suspension you need a Cal trac "type" suspension and no one uses the long bar system. However each has its own merits. The cal tracs take some tuning to get them to work and have to be tuned for each track surface, whereas the long bars are simply plug and play. I chose to not go with the long bars because they hang too low and look too obvious especially in red lol. I wanted something that wouldn't change the look of my truck while still being able to hook with a good amount of HP.

I've been 1.36 in 100% full street trim, drag radials 4100lbs in my 79 f100 with Caltracs. When the time comes my 96 f150 daily driver will also be getting Caltracs. Same reasons as you stated the long bars are ugly IMO and aren't offered to work with the rear on top of the springs as my truck is.

I think each can and will work. I personally like the long bars (but not in a color that stands out) I think they not only help with axle wrap but also transfer the power further forward then a caltrac.

But one thing they do that a caltrac can't is make the rear more "stable" under the truck. And what I mean is that they attach the rear to the frame at another spot besides the leaf spring. Which can make the truck feel more stable while driving. The caltrac attaches to the same spot as the leaf spring so it just can't do that one thing.

If I had a leaf spring car or a small truck I would run caltracs in a Minuite I just prefer the long bars on a full size truck.

Last edited:
But one thing they do that a caltrac can't is make the rear more "stable" under the truck. And what I mean is that they attach the rear to the frame at another spot besides the leaf spring. Which can make the truck feel more stable while driving. The caltrac attaches to the same spot as the leaf spring so it just can't do that one thing.

Do you mean as far as turning or launching? On my dad's truck I kept the rear sway bar with the Caltracs and I'll do the same with my 96. The 79 doesn't have one.

Not really one particular thing Joe, just an overall feeling really. Kinda of less overall movement back there or something.

Not really one particular thing Joe, just an overall feeling really. Kinda of less overall movement back there or something.

I think what Jamie is saying is the road 'feel' is stiffer with longbars, a point I'll agree with.

I have had cal-tracs on my 94 for about 6 months, they preloaded badly when I received it I called and received more info and finally a longer set with new double hangers installed with help line on the phone and they weren't as bad bit still had to have some preload on the bars. No adjustment left. I drive with them I find they bounce a lot. If I had it to do again I think I might choose long bars. Did eliminate wheel hop. I haven't found the help tech to be very helpful.

I ordered my caltracs custom with the dimension sheet and they work fine. They work best with the rear on top of the leafs from my experience. I have them set up with a slight gap between the bar and the leaf.

I ordered mine from a package deal on e-bay for my truck, person at Calvert racing said that the order number was correct for my 1st gen( all original) it didn't fit at all. Then I called back and the e-mailed me the order sheet and instructions which didn't come with the 1st time my package came. I made my measurements for the sheet with Calvert racing tech on the phone 2nd set came and still preloaded (bar will not adjust far enough in for initial installation with full weight on axle, I installed with Calvert on the phone. It was better but still doesn't work right. Again next time I'm going long bars from my experience

CalTracs for me. Have ran multiple trucks "4x4's and pulling trucks" with long bars they work good no wheel hope held the rear end steady, with the lighting I thought I'd try the CalTracs and they work great!!! My opinion there is a difference.

I have JLP long bars on my Gen. II. I had Lakewood slappers for awhile. Then a friend offered me his JLP bars as he was getting new ones and having them powder-coated a different color.

Attachments

• 01020002.jpg
    01020002.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 26
Back