Towpooling

Brian Baskin

Rikutsu-poi
With the fuel prices over the next four weeks being very volatile and uncertain, I think some guys should maybe think about how they'll drive out. For those of you on the fence, or are starting to back out, may I suggest towpooling.

We all own trucks, and can tow. If you're driving solo, how about towing someone else who is driving solo? Then split gas costs 50/50 on the round trip. By agreeing to the pressure of towing, with a slight loss of gas mileage, you will save HUNDREDS in the long run.

I was on the fence of backing out, but am currently working with someone who wasn't planning on going, so that we both can attend. What would've been over $700 in fuel for each of us, will be end up costing us each only about $400.

If you are not going, and own a trailer, how about lending it to a local member, maybe for a nominal fee. I am lucky that JJ@WMS is graciously letting me rent his trailer for a small fee, with the understanding that if I break it, I fix it.

Very smart. You will get slightly less MPG but should not get half the MPG (be the break point).

Back