Towing with EVs

Yeah batteries have a ways to go before we'll get those ranges. But who knows at the rate the tech is advancing, I also think the hybrid F-150 is now being overlooked. That one would be cool in one of those "Pro/Commercial" setups and you'd have both worlds, elec for commuting and gas for towing/long trips.

Is the hybrid available now? Or a concept?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my motorcycles has a lithium ion battery for starting, etc. In the winter, it's a *****. Warm out, it cranks way better than an old lead acid type. Cold out, barely cranks, if at all. I was told to turn the ignition switch on and walk away for a few minutes, let the battery get hot. Then it'll start. Yup, it does. I am going to replace it with a good old fashioned lead acid battery this year.

Own a vehicle powered totally by a lithium ion battery? Are you Nucking Futs?

One of my motorcycles has a lithium ion battery for starting, etc. In the winter, it's a *****. Warm out, it cranks way better than an old lead acid type. Cold out, barely cranks, if at all. I was told to turn the ignition switch on and walk away for a few minutes, let the battery get hot. Then it'll start. Yup, it does. I am going to replace it with a good old fashioned lead acid battery this year.

Own a vehicle powered totally by a lithium ion battery? Are you Nucking Futs?

I use AGM batteries in everything I own. No lead acid for me thanks.

My Lightning does have an AGM battery, Sears Diehard Platinum AGM. Don't know that there are AM batteries sized to fit motorcycles.

I use AGM batteries in everything I own. No lead acid for me thanks.

AGM is still a lead acid battery.
Just the lead is in a mat form and the liquid ie water is held in the mat hence the reason the dont leak and can be mounted in all sots of positions.

Aggregated
Glass
Mat

AGM.

Only real big difference in they are not “flooded” aka wet.

From wikipedia

There are two primary types of VRLA batteries, absorbent glass mat (AGM) and gel cell.[3] Gel cells add silica dust to the electrolyte, forming a thick putty like gel. AGM (absorbent glass mat) batteries feature fiberglass mesh between the battery plates which serves to contain the electrolyte and separate the plates. Both types of VRLA batteries offer advantages and disadvantages compared to flooded vented lead–acid (VLA) batteries, as well as to each other

AGM is still a lead acid battery.
Just the lead is in a mat form and the liquid ie water is held in the mat hence the reason the dont leak and can be mounted in all sots of positions.

Aggregated
Glass
Mat

AGM.

Only real big difference in they are not “flooded” aka wet.

From wikipedia

There are two primary types of VRLA batteries, absorbent glass mat (AGM) and gel cell.[3] Gel cells add silica dust to the electrolyte, forming a thick putty like gel. AGM (absorbent glass mat) batteries feature fiberglass mesh between the battery plates which serves to contain the electrolyte and separate the plates. Both types of VRLA batteries offer advantages and disadvantages compared to flooded vented lead–acid (VLA) batteries, as well as to each other

Yes sir, I understand the facts. That’s just the “jargon” that I use to describe them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1acd74273eb9a9dc679be5067110198e.jpg

That's hilarious. On almost every article on Zero Hedge about sparky vehicles, someone mentions towing a petroleum powered generator on a trailer. First time I've seen a pic of it. BWAHAHA!!

I have tried to entertain it but just wouldn't work for my needs at this time. If I didn't use my truck for travel purposes (or live on the gulf where Hurricanes knock power out for 2 weeks) it *could work for me. My 6.2 Raptor gets 7.4mpg while towing, roughly around 200-225miles per tank under that pulling but 400-450 unloaded (36gal tank). Higher charging rates typically means higher battery wear rate... It is 100% ideal for the 30yr old dad with kids that doesn't leave town though.

Back