Tips on Strucby Battery/Alternator cable install.

Ranchero 1968

"Mr. Happy"
Tips on Struckby Battery/Alternator cable install.

I installed Ed's cables last spring and decided it was time to put a How-To-Article on here for all to use. When I went in search of new battery and alternator cables, there were two choices. One, was NAPA oem look replacement cables and the other was StruckBy cables. I decided on the StruckBy cables after a few PM's to Ed and numerous threads about the quality of StruckBy products. I have 35-45 pic's of the install but atleast half of them are on my old cell phone. So, you get the pic's from the digital camera.

First, you will need to contact thePunisher (Paul) to order Ed's cables. The cables are very thick so you will need to let them set in the hot sun a few hours to make them easier to handle.

Second, besides the basic handtool's needed for the removal and install, you may want to pick-up the following if you do not have them on hand.

1. 3M Heat Shrink Tubing and Butane torch
2. 3M Assorted Connects (splice end kit)
3. 3" Black Zip-ties
4. Dielectric Grease
5. Electrical Tape
6. 3G Alternator Pigtail (I purchased mine from EBay for around $6.00 after shipping) Yours will be dry and worn out.
7. 3/8" Black convoluted tubing (to cover your O2 sensor harness)

Third, start by disconnecting (-) and (+) battery terminal's.

Fourth, I started by disconnecting cables under the hood and made my way back to the starter and O2 sensor. Ed estimated 2.5 to 3 hours, it actually took me five hours which included pic's and some assembling of connector's.

Fifth, If you have the factory Smog Pump installed, it will take some effort as there is a bolt behind it that is difficult to get a socket or wrench on. I spent almost one hour on this alone.

Sixth, Route your new StruckBy cables. Take your time and do it right the first time.

Good luck on the StruckBy OEM look cable install.

Enjoy the pic's, James

Last edited:
More pic's

Pictures 1-3 are of the O2 sensor wires/connectors.

Picture 4 is of the oem harness/cables.

Picture 5 is the small oem alternator cable.

Last edited:
StruckBy cable pic's

More new stuff.

Pictures 3-4 are of the Alternator pigtail I purchased from EBay.

Picture 5 is of a bolt that is supplied with the StruckBy kit, it bolts to the passenger side frame.

conclusion

I hope this help's one of my fellow Gen. 1 owner's in the future. The cables really compliment the truck and should give you many trouble free years of service. In addition, it's a great way to prepare for a 130 amp alternator and E-fan upgrade.

I will post a How-To-Article on a 130 amp install in the next day or two.

James

Last edited:
Back