times and mods

S

StruckBy

Best run year to date 12.5 @ 108 mph/1.7 60ft. Temp was 95-97 degress in Fl.

Mods include: Precision Industries 9.5"/3000 rpm stall converter, Trick Flow ported aluminum heads, NOS GT-40 Big Shot kit,(set @ 200hp), MSD accys, Cal-tracs traction control, M.T. 28" ET streets, spacer, pullies, etc....
Going to the track tonight. ET's to be posted........

Cool new section; Thank you, Struckby

------------------
#9 1995 white
12.5 @ 108 mph/1.7 60ft

Holy crap how long you been running the 200 shot.Is your motor still stock inside.I dont think Im going to worry to much with my 8PSI blower when I put the 50Shot on there then.Great times you got.

------------------
Marcus Harrison
95Lightning
NLOC#495
1/4=12.9s
1/8=8.17s
TeamPowerdyne
View

Originally posted by Litng1:
Holy crap how long you been running the 200 shot.Is your motor still stock inside.I dont think Im going to worry to much with my 8PSI blower when I put the 50Shot on there then.Great times you got.
Hello Marcus,
thanks for the compliments. My friend "Speedy" and I put our heads together to get my combination to the 12.5 sec range.
I've been running the N2O kit at the 200 hp level since June with no problems. The bottom end of my engine is still the stock factory Ford Lightning package. I don't know how truly "efficient" N2O kits really are so say for arguments sake it's probably at 175 hp setting. MAybe with the tuning set just right(timing,fuel psi etc...) it would be an effective 200hp.I do have a pretty nice fuel system set up to support my N2O kit and I also have a custom chip from Chris Johnson Motorsports. I think my truck really has faster ET potential because it only weighs 3800lbs. I've lightened it quite a bit. I got the truck weighed at my local truck stop which has "CAT" certified scales. So I believe it to be pretty accurate. Another person posted his truck in this new section with his weighing 4700 lbs and he runs a 12.4 @ 105 mph. I think I really need a mass air conversion, What do you think? I have another friend with the same N2O set up and a mass air w/ roller cam conversion and he runs 12.4 also. Other than that his trucks weight is basically stock. So those are my thoughts.
Thank you, Struckby

------------------
#9 1995 white
12.5 @ 108 mph/1.7 60ft

Several guys are not running mass air and going fast.Dave(icepick) and jeff come to mind.Dont think not having mass air is hurting you.Maybe someone else will chime in here.

------------------
Marcus Harrison
95Lightning
NLOC#495
1/4=12.9s
1/8=8.17s
TeamPowerdyne
View

StruckBy,

Sounds Like a nice setup you have there!
smile.gif
Wow! 3800#s If you would please reveal some of your weight removal techniques I would love to hear what you did... As for mass-air it has been my experience that it has much better control than speed density, I never could get my truck to run very well with SD after several mods... Mass air helped me a lot! I now have a Speed Brain to help with further control, I'm not sure with your N20 setup if you would have as good of results as I... Hard to say... There's no doubt your truck has a lot of potential! I would think a cam and ported lower would help you out BIG TIME... With these items I bet you will run 11s easy! Anyways, Good talking to you!

Later,
Dave P.
White 94
AKA "The Sleeper"
New best with ported lower and good gas
12.3 @ 108, 1.74 60 ft

Originally posted by Icepick:
StruckBy,

Sounds Like a nice setup you have there!
smile.gif
Wow! 3800#s If you would please reveal some of your weight removal techniques I would love to hear what you did... As for mass-air it has been my experience that it has much better control than speed density, I never could get my truck to run very well with SD after several mods... Mass air helped me a lot! I now have a Speed Brain to help with further control, I'm not sure with your N20 setup if you would have as good of results as I... Hard to say... There's no doubt your truck has a lot of potential! I would think a cam and ported lower would help you out BIG TIME... With these items I bet you will run 11s easy! Anyways, Good talking to you!

Later,
Dave P.
White 94
AKA "The Sleeper"
New best with ported lower and good gas
12.3 @ 108, 1.74 60 ft
Dave,
thanks for the input on my dilema. Sounds like our trucks are pretty similair. As far as my weight reduction techniques my friend "Speedy" and I combined our efforts and did the usual things most "L" guys are doing to reduce weight.The measurement was taken with the truck in "race prep" condition; ie slicks on the rear, N2O bottle in place, tailgate removed,etc.. Removal of bumper, spare, tailgate,cats,old exhaust were some of the firsts.The only special things we did were aluminum heads, Centerline Convo-Pro race wheels, Competition Engineering drag shocks(they're actually much lighter and functional too), removed two rear leaves per side and pulled the mid-ship tank. I do have a FMS B351 cam in the truck now but my lower intake is not ported. Its about $300 around here to get that done. I would like to do one more major perforance add-on before next race season begins. I see a mass air or DFI kit being inevitable. ANd if I get one or the other I will do a roller cam conversion as well. Any more suggestions? I'm open to them. What exactly is a "Speed Brain"?Thanks for the response. Have a nice weekend.
Struckby/Ed

------------------
#9 1995 white
12.5 @ 108 mph/1.7 60ft

Struckby,

How do the drag shocks work out for daily driving? Are they adjustable? Is the application for a Ford truck or some other type of vehicle? I would really like to hear about your experience with them... Thanks!

If you like to change things a lot and want to take control yourself then DFI or some sort of controllable mass air is really nice! I have heard that the Speed Pro DFI stuff is "The $hit" but its pricey... I think it costs about $3000 with wide ban o2... If you can afford it I would say go for it...There's also some things you can do with mass air to gain some control, I like the Pro-M harness because it swaps the engine control over the Mustang A9L computer then there's lots of options available for engine control, i.e., EEC turner, Anderson PMS, Speed Brain, C&M chips, etc., The Speed Brain I use is a replacement computer for the A9L and gives control via laptop over fuel, spark, air meter/injector calibrations Idle speed etc., I also have a wide ban o2 I use to get everything tuned in, Its a pretty nice setup... Since you use plate N20 I would think you could probably get by with just a simple mass air setup which should get you close then use the N20 jetting to fine tune it...

Later,
Dave P

There's a guy here in Houston that is running 12.3 or 12.4 woth nitrous, and he is still Speed Density. I have to agree that MAS is not necessary to achieve greater numbers, it just makes it easier.

------------------
Keep it safe...

John Norris
Red '93 # 3395
NLOC # 227
Nassau Bay, Texas

I think that as long as your truck will idle and cruise with speed density, then stick with it. I don't think you'll see a big performance gain from mass air, especially with a plate nitrous setup.

I run mass air. If I were buying a setup today (and I may well do this arrangement when I put the new engine in my truck), I'd buy the ProM wiring harness, the Speed Brain computer, and a Baumannator (though I'm still waiting for Dave to get one first) for the transmission.

I've had good results with the PSP mass air that I'm currently running, but a lot of people are having to wait a long time for reprograms when dealing with PSP now.

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
President, NLOC
#74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2
#?? in '00 - 13.68@99.5

[This message has been edited by Jeff S (edited 09-02-2000).]

But what about the EEC-Tuner/A9L and Baumannator?
smile.gif
There's a nice GUI setup being written for the A9L as I type...

I have a crazy notion of using a Baumannator with a sequential-injection SPEED DENSITY (DA1) '88 Mustang PCM if I ever got really bored. Either use the EEC-Tuner or C&M chips for it. No stupid air meter to screw with. Just thinking out loud...

Time to go work on the truck...

- Kevin

Alot of people do not realize, that after a certain RPM, sequential injection becomes batch fire.
Jeff, Jim Valentine is running a Baumannator on his truck, so far he loves it.

------------------
Keep it safe...

John Norris
Red '93 # 3395
NLOC # 227
Nassau Bay, Texas

Originally posted by Icepick:
Struckby,

How do the drag shocks work out for daily driving? Are they adjustable? Is the application for a Ford truck or some other type of vehicle? I would really like to hear about your experience with them... Thanks!

If you like to change things a lot and want to take control yourself then DFI or some sort of controllable mass air is really nice! I have heard that the Speed Pro DFI stuff is "The $hit" but its pricey... I think it costs about $3000 with wide ban o2... If you can afford it I would say go for it...There's also some things you can do with mass air to gain some control, I like the Pro-M harness because it swaps the engine control over the Mustang A9L computer then there's lots of options available for engine control, i.e., EEC turner, Anderson PMS, Speed Brain, C&M chips, etc., The Speed Brain I use is a replacement computer for the A9L and gives control via laptop over fuel, spark, air meter/injector calibrations Idle speed etc., I also have a wide ban o2 I use to get everything tuned in, Its a pretty nice setup... Since you use plate N20 I would think you could probably get by with just a simple mass air setup which should get you close then use the N20 jetting to fine tune it...

Later,
Dave P
Dave,
The drag shocks I have are from Competition Engineering. I have had no problems with them driving on the street. Even under hard braking or normal cornering the shocks work well. I know the mfr says that they are not recommended for the street but they seem to be working. I have the fronts set at 90/10 and the rear set at 70/30. They are not specifically for the "L"'s but they do work. The way I figured out which ones to use was by using their catalog as a resource. I looked at the drag shocks which they list only as "front" or "rear". I then matched up the upper and lower mounting styles. Then I went to my truck which was lowered with Bel-Tec I-beams and de-arched rear springs and measured the compressed length of the stock shocks on level ground. I took those lengths with those mounting styles and matched them up with what was listed and made my selection. I don't think they make any that are long enough for a stock ride height truck though. I lowered mine alot so it kind of helped out in the selection process. So I hope this info helps out. They really do help raise the front end and let the rear squat. E-mail back if you have any other questions.
Have a nice weekend, Struckby,Ed

------------------
#9 1995 white
12.5 @ 108 mph/1.7 60ft

Dang, 200 on a stock bottom end? Are you sure that's wise? i am no expert on 351s and correct if I'm wrong, but 200 seems like a bit much for stock.....Great times though.

-Ryan

Originally posted by DaPurpleR/T:
Dang, 200 on a stock bottom end? Are you sure that's wise? i am no expert on 351s and correct if I'm wrong, but 200 seems like a bit much for stock.....Great times though.

-Ryan
Thanks for the compliments Ryan. Yeah 200 is probably the max I will use and at that level proper tuning becomes pretty critical. The nice thing about my N2O kit is that it precisly meters the N2O and fuel ratios for safe operation. I do have a pretty healthy fuel system to support my level of hp as well. So far with proper timing, 1 degree colder plugs, MSD, and 93 octane I have had no problems. I have a friend of mine running almost the same setup on his 94 "L" and hes yielding great results also. I'm going to the track this Wed with some updates so we'll see what happens.(weather permitting).
Have a nice weekend. Struckby

------------------
#9 1995 white
12.5 @ 108 mph/1.7 60ft

John, where did you get your info about the transition point between sequential and batch fire ?

Just to add to the debate about engine and tranny controllers (I'm a little biased though :> )) The only advantage the Speed Brain has to me is the nice GUI interface.

I've traveled up the tuning learning curve and really like my tweaked speed density setup. If you have the ability to edit the PCM I don't think anything else is necessary

Oh by the way, Jeff how the hell are ya ?

Raymond

[This message has been edited by Raymond_B (edited 09-03-2000).]

Ray, can you change the idle parameters on the speed density to take care of radical cams? Supposedly the thing that gives the stock speed density fits is the rapid changes in intake vacuum (that "lope") caused by cams with significant overlap. Can you compensate for that and for vacuum in the, say, 12" range with the stock computer system and the EEC-Tuner?

I like the GUI and DA capabilities of the SpeedBrain.

BTW, I want to get an EEC-Tuner to play with in Trace's race car. Need something to monkey with the timing curves and to get the rev limiter up to where it will make sense with the cam she's running.

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
President, NLOC
#74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2
#?? in '00 - 13.68@99.5

BTW, I don't see that 200 hp PLATE setup as being too scary - at least to the engine. I know that the tranny must be screaming for mercy from trying to deal with the torque produced by a wet nitrous shot that big.

Hi Jeff, mine idles good at 11" of vacuum in drive. It will idle all day long in traffic and the A/C on. You can massage the volumetric efficiency tables and make it idle very well.

I have had some surging on hot re-starts like when your going through a drive through, but I think I have them taken care of with the closed throttle open loop multiplier.

Let me know about the Tuner... Also the guy that wrote the GUI software has added A9L support.

Data logging will be added to the Tuner in the not too distant future
smile.gif

Raymond

Back