Time based AE

Required

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
When you are dialing in Time based AE after figuring the TPSdot is it just a matter of adding/removing to added% by feel? I get that you can watch MLV and look at AFR and such, but it seems like doing it one bin at a time changes the other bins feel. So are you doing each TPSdot bin one at a time or just dialing in +- added fuel for each one?

Only thing I can get to work decent on my truck is setting it up as accel pump with only tps dot. I have to be very aggressive with it to get proper tip in fueling. Most time your A/F gauge can't react quick enough to really nail this down. This is definitely something you have to just feel and adjust. If it's too lean in will "dead pedal" and feel like it loses power. If it's way too rich it will stumble/drown out ignition.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Yeah, it’s very much by feel as you will always see transient spikes in AF. It’s the nature of the beast as you’re seeing AF data after the fact.

Long way of saying go by feel :) Personally I just use regular AE and it works great, I always gravitate towards the simplest solution.

I use a pretty aggressive fuel curve for the AE. Small throttle movements at low load have a good-sized shot. AFRs will dip into the low 11s for a quarter of a second.

For sure Jeff!

@Required also remember each use case. From what has been described to me turbo vehicles might like the time based AE better as they can make lots more boost at part throttle than a supercharger which is much more linear and RPM dependent.

I am also laughing at myself for saying I gravitate towards the simpler solution, while at the same time posting in another thread that I just got my truck running with a crazy overcomplicated oil pan LOL.

I’m going to try just Accel-pump and see if it is more crisp. That looks more digestible for a cave man like me.

I found time based accel to be the most consistent and drivable. No stumbles, no hesitations anywhere. Smooth as can be.

However I just changed back to Accel-pump after 3 months and here is why.

It’s snappy, you can blip the throttle and it barks. It comes down flat and fast. It is tuned by feel and sound and honestly I gave up on getting the AFR dip “right” after a blip or a tire scratch in a parking lot. It recovers down to idle very well on a fully warmed up engine.

The time based stuff was very drivable almost OEM feel, fuel efficient even, the Accel-pump is more aggressive and really works with a stall converter.

That’s all, just was sparked by a weekend listening to 2500 cars different revs and sounds as we cruised TMS. I felt mine was a little slow and not as snappy.

That is basically what I found too. The Accel pump feature is very responsive and I can tune it with feel which is what you need on something like that. AFR reading is too slow to tell you anything on throttle blips. For some reason my truck likes a ton of accel pump. Had a professional tuner remote into my laptop once to refine a few things and he desperately wanted to not use accel pump and tried several things but in the end went back to where I already had it. He was stumped too why my truck liked it so much. Who knows.

I've used time-based exclusively because that's how it came, and I just messed with it until it felt good.

Would love to see a screen shot of the accel-pump window.

That is basically what I found too. The Accel pump feature is very responsive and I can tune it with feel which is what you need on something like that. AFR reading is too slow to tell you anything on throttle blips. For some reason my truck likes a ton of accel pump. Had a professional tuner remote into my laptop once to refine a few things and he desperately wanted to not use accel pump and tried several things but in the end went back to where I already had it. He was stumped too why my truck liked it so much. Who knows.

Yeah, Steve Van Order setup my truck with time based and like I said, it was good and consistent but just never had the crisp crack accel-pump has. Mine is ALOT of fuel. So essentially I have the choice of a tame stock feel or a cracking snappy feel.

Attachments

• accel-pump.png
    accel-pump.png
    225.1 KB · Views: 7
I found time based accel to be the most consistent and drivable. No stumbles, no hesitations anywhere. Smooth as can be.

However I just changed back to Accel-pump after 3 months and here is why.

It’s snappy, you can blip the throttle and it barks. It comes down flat and fast. It is tuned by feel and sound and honestly I gave up on getting the AFR dip “right” after a blip or a tire scratch in a parking lot. It recovers down to idle very well on a fully warmed up engine.

The time based stuff was very drivable almost OEM feel, fuel efficient even, the Accel-pump is more aggressive and really works with a stall converter.

That’s all, just was sparked by a weekend listening to 2500 cars different revs and sounds as we cruised TMS. I felt mine was a little slow and not as snappy.
I'm assuming that was you I talked with Saturday in the garage... I was in my black turbo G1 2 spots over from you. If so, was great to meet you and wish I'd had your tuning knowledge with me later that night at TX Motorplex for the KOTOR event. I'm going to post about it outside of here.

I had Steven tune mine as well, so I need to see how it's done.

I'm assuming that was you I talked with Saturday in the garage... I was in my black turbo G1 2 spots over from you. If so, was great to meet you and wish I'd had your tuning knowledge with me later that night at TX Motorplex for the KOTOR event. I'm going to post about it outside of here.

I had Steven tune mine as well, so I need to see how it's done.
I was outside the garage in the back - towards the staging for parade laps, we only stayed for about an hour. I did see your truck, it was super clean! I liked how they gave trucks a whole area this year. Very unique event.

Back