TIL = Today I learned. Share a little helpful tip that you have known or learned.

In the garage, working on your L, or life in general, If you find a little something that makes your life easier share it!

Found a nugget of wisdom? Let’s here it.

I’ll start.

If you haven’t discovered these Grip Lock Ties yet you should check them out.
They can be put on and off during mock up and then permanently secured when ready. The colored part is a rubber type grip so they don’t slide.
7df30d29f2197c76c42378feec11c1e1.jpg

These were designed by Mike Patey. If you don’t know who that is go pop some popcorn and look him up on YouTube. He designs and builds extreme aircraft in his spare time. Top notch!

I can’t stand flies on my beer and my toy box is not climate controlled yet so I keep a spray paint can cap (or 2) laying around to cover the top. Works great.
618c991f6db45ec3b8fd93b841272193.jpg

Bonus points if you know the beer! Raymond B would like this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Both are solid ideas although I tend to drink my Coca-Cola’s before they get warm lol. But those zip ties are a great idea

Is it the correct rotation for our serpentine belt setup?

Good question! It says normal rotation. Is that correct for the truck set up?

When you use the SN95 style timing cover and pump, do you keep your damper/balancer or do you change it to the SN95 style also?
If you keep your truck damper does the timing pointer still mount and work properly?

With what Tommy & I did you replace the timing cover & waterpump with a SN95 one and you have a custom WP pulley made. Everything else stays the same (balancer, pointer, etc)

With what Tommy & I did you replace the timing cover & waterpump with a SN95 one and you have a custom WP pulley made. Everything else stays the same (balancer, pointer, etc)

Thanks for the info Jamie. Do you still have the information for the custom pulley?
If not I’ll have to wait until I get everything put together and then take measurements.

Looks like the trucks use a reverse rotation water pump so the Ford performance pump posted above will NOT work unless you change the belt configuration.

Good information on SBF Water pumps and timing covers in this video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zBUxuhTVUbs

I do not have the info. I had him make the pulley and send it to me to finalize before he sent it out to be hard anodized. I actually had him make a second one (sold the first one to Derek) because the outer ring sat back too far. He put extra material on the second one he made and shipped it to me and I measure how far he had to machine it back to align perfectly.

In the garage, working on your L, or life in general, If you find a little something that makes your life easier share it!

Found a nugget of wisdom? Let’s here it.

I’ll start.

If you haven’t discovered these Grip Lock Ties yet you should check them out.
They can be put on and off during mock up and then permanently secured when ready. The colored part is a rubber type grip so they don’t slide.
7df30d29f2197c76c42378feec11c1e1.jpg

These were designed by Mike Patey. If you don’t know who that is go pop some popcorn and look him up on YouTube. He designs and builds extreme aircraft in his spare time. Top notch!

I can’t stand flies on my beer and my toy box is not climate controlled yet so I keep a spray paint can cap (or 2) laying around to cover the top. Works great.
618c991f6db45ec3b8fd93b841272193.jpg

Bonus points if you know the beer! Raymond B would like this one!

What beer is it?!?!?

Today I learned that bed frame that is rolled angle iron is NOT mild steel! When I say bed frame I’m not talking about truck bed, I’m talking about the frame that holds your mattress.

Looking on the metal rack I found a small piece of rolled angle that had a 2” and 1” leg. Oh the luck. Exactly what I needed! Looks like a piece of bed frame. Put it in the cold cut saw and it didn’t want to cut it. I thought it was maybe a dull blade. Later I needed to trim a little off of it and put a brand new blade in a reciprocating saw and it promptly slicked the teeth. A quick google search confirms that it is a high carbon steel. Some guys make wood working tools and knife blades from it. I had no idea.

Learn something new every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Today I learned that bed frame that is rolled angle iron is NOT mild steel! When I say bed frame I’m not talking about truck bed, I’m talking about the frame that holds your mattress.

Looking on the metal rack I found a small piece of rolled angle that had a 2” and 1” leg. Oh the luck. Exactly what I needed! Looks like a piece of bed frame. Put it in the cold cut saw and it didn’t want to cut it. I thought it was maybe a dull blade. Later I needed to trim a little off of it and put a brand new blade in a reciprocating saw and it promptly slicked the teeth. A quick google search confirms that it is a high carbon steel. Some guys make wood working tools and knife blades from it. I had no idea.

Learn something new every day.

Geez,I guess they figure most frames take a beating :)

Geez,I guess they figure most frames take a beating :)

Haha!
I was thinking weight of the steel vs strength. Use thinner stronger steel with less weight and less gussets, legs, and bends to improve strength. I think this frame was 40 or so yrs old. Maybe things have changed, but the knife making guys seem to confirm that it still holds true in many cases but not all. It just surprised me. I didn’t expect it.
To your point, Im sure some frames take a pretty good beating though!

Back