Thinking of Auto-X with the L

Sloe Truk said:
this is just my opinion.

Solid rotors give you the most friction surface possible. that part is logical and can be proven. AS far as heat goes though, it is not the rotor that is getting too hot, you are exceeding the amount of heat that the brake compound was designed to perform. This is called brake fade.

Slotted rotors help with pad gas out but you will loose a little of the friction surface. If you are experiencing brake fade, then it comes at you from two different directions but from the same source. Becasue you have to use the pedal longer and longer to get the same amount of deceleration, you are building up heat. Heat in the pad will cause gassing from the adhesion agent and other parts of the cmpound. This puts a small layer of air between the pad and the rotor. It also transfers heat into the brake fluid via the caliper which is hlding the hot pad.

Cross drilled rotors break, period. They are fine for a show car, or for a very light weight track car. The entire process of drilling through the rotor to allow for cooling and pad gassing is valid on paper, but the facts are it weakens the rotor and disrupts the crystaline structure of the metal. On a 4000 pound pplus truck, you don't need week rotors.

Don't get me wrong, I've broken every kind of rotor out there, it happens, but those are generally from red flag stops wher eyou have not time to cool off.

My recommendation:

Use race compound pads, not high performance street pads. These pads will be expensive, dusty, and noisy. They have a much higher tolerance for heat and in most race compounds, you have to heat them up a little but before they grip optimally. THese pads gas very little if they are bed correctly.

Use a quality high boiling point brake fluid. I use Motul 600, but ATE (blue or clear) or Wilwood are also great fluids. I would look for at least 550 degree dry point fluid. Use DOT4 not DOT5. While DOT5 has a higher rating, it is not intended for uise in these trucks.

If you do the first two recommendations, then it really wont matter that much which rotor you use. I used RUslows slotted rotors, but once I got rel race pads, I wondered if I was giving up a little stopping distance becasue of the slots. I would still probably recommend a slotted rotor just to be safe though.

While you are changing your rotors, I always recommend changing you wheel bearings. Especially if you are still running the OE FFord ones, I always used Federal Mogul bearings, butI don't have the part numbers handy.

If and when you do pads/fluid/rotors you may want to consider the brake lines. There is nothing wrong with the OE lines, they will hold up for AutoXing just fine, however you will get a much firmer pedal feel with a SS brake line.

There is a ton of great information at www.stoptech.com for further reading

Hope this helps you out

AWESOME! :chacha: :chacha: :chacha:

I'm thinking i may put the stoptech big brake kit on the front of the L. Will factory 18" Lightning wheels clear these? And i could definitely feel some sponginess in the pedal, probably from the rubber lines. I was running the motul 600 in my old z06 and really liked it. I noticed there was some kind of liquid in my inner fender well of the passenger fender and some liquid on the outside "veins" of my airbox. I figured it was just a little overflow that got out since carmax probably topped it all off monday when I bought it. The brake fluid did look burnt though, it wasn't clear at all.

Stoptech doesn't make BBK for the Lightning. If you want a good 13" kit for the front that doesn't cost an arm and a leg I would check out http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/ they used to be a supporting vender here, don't know why they aren't anymore, but I've always heard great reviews of his BBK for the L

Sloe Truk said:
Stoptech doesn't make BBK for the Lightning. If you want a good 13" kit for the front that doesn't cost an arm and a leg I would check out http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/ they used to be a supporting vender here, don't know why they aren't anymore, but I've always heard great reviews of his BBK for the L
oh i thought they made one for every thing lol.

Sloe Truk said:
I have this BBK and i am very happy with it.. Not as pricey, great kit, stops on the dime and great customer service.

Sloe Truk said:
Good to see you back!
Did spend ten days in the hospital having 18" of colon and intestine removed....kinda glad to be doing anything but sitting there! :sulkoff:

not to sure i'm going to AX the L anymore... my dash is making this SUPER annoying like creaking noise... i dunno.

Todd TCE said:
Did spend ten days in the hospital having 18" of colon and intestine removed....kinda glad to be doing anything but sitting there! :sulkoff:

Wow, ouch, gulp. I hope everything is better than it was?

5W0P3 said:
not to sure i'm going to AX the L anymore... my dash is making this SUPER annoying like creaking noise... i dunno.

Probably just have a loose bolt and it is plastic on metal creaking.

Back