Thinking of Auto-X with the L

SBGGrace

INSANE Member
Hi Guys. I have a SVT Focus that I usually run in Auto-X events. I was thinking about adding a few items this winter to get it ready for the next season. I also own a 2004 L. Now I'm thinking about using that for my Auto-X vehicle. We have one more event left in the Auto-X season here in October. I am seriously thinking of taking the L instead of the Focus. So I can try it out and see if I like it. I'm looking for opinions. Can I actually be competitive in the L vs. the Focus? Any gotchas I should know about putting the L on the course? Thanks in advance.

I autoX with a nearly stock Gen1 & do pretty well. You will be able to carry more speed into the corner with the Focus, but you will pull out of the corners harder with the L Just be careful not to give it too much gas & bring the rearend around. I've autox'd with a miata before & prefer my L. it is a little more work, but IMHO much more fun. The best part is at the end when no-one can figure out how they just got beat by an old, daily driven, F-150.:rofl:
Steve

mustgofaster said:
I've autox'd with a miata before & prefer my L.
Steve

Thanks for the response Steve. Do you find that you are more competitive with the L or with the Miata? This is my first Auto-X season and I'm still a rookie. I took one of the performace driving courses and learned a lot in that class. I think I just might take the L to our next and last Auto-X for the year and see how I like it.

Usually in the Focus I can drive it pretty deep into the corner before braking hard, I imagine you'd have to start braking sooner in the L. Any other tips or pointers you or anyone else can offer for getting the L safely and quickly through the Auto-X course, would be greatly appreciated. :tu:

The only thing that used to beet me was an EVO with R compounds.

I like the truck even over the Z. It has a longer wheel base for stabilty. YOu can definately get more rubber on the corners. THe torque that is creates is absolutly amazing, and you can throttle steer it around.

I know you can be very comptetive in the Truck, I've done it.

Sloe Truk said:
The only thing that used to beet me was an EVO with R compounds.

I like the truck even over the Z. It has a longer wheel base for stabilty. YOu can definately get more rubber on the corners. THe torque that is creates is absolutly amazing, and you can throttle steer it around.

I know you can be very comptetive in the Truck, I've done it.

Have you done any mods to your L specifically for Auto-X?

SBGGrace said:
Have you done any mods to your L specifically for Auto-X?

Well, sort of. I've since sold mine so this is off of memory

FRONT
Hotchkis Front coils (950#/") Dependant upon track
RUSlow front coils (1100#/") dependant upon track
Hotchkis front sway
Hotchkis spec Bilstien shocks
Clunk washers
Napa Camber kit
RUSlow Slotted rotors
Carbotech XP10 Pads
Brake ducts
RUSlow SS brake lines
Dodge Viper (Trispoke wheels) 17"x10" w/Custom adapters
315/35ZR17 Rubber

REAR
Hotchkis Rear leafs
2" drop shackle
Hotchkis spec Bilstien shocks
Hotchkis Rear sway
Adjustable Sway bar end links
RUSlow Pan hard bar
Metco Upper Traction bars
Ruslow SS brake lines
RUSLow Slotted rotors
Carbotech XP7 Pads
Dodge Viper (Trispoke wheels) 17"x13" w/Custom adapters
335/35ZR17 Rubber

MIne was an 03 so it came with a 3.73:1 ring gear which I later wwapped out to a 3.31:1 ring gear for more top end (road racing). I ran such a staggered brake bias after a lot of experimentation and trial and effort. I ran the crappy looking viper wheels, cause they are cheap to get your hands on, most viper guys don't want anythign with a scratch on it and where else can you get a wheel that wide for under $100. I tried a lot of other setups and different components. There were times where i spent more money, but I didn't get anything better, sometimes worse.

As far as power, I only had 436 RWHP and 552 RWlbs/ft, the engine was all bolt ons, pullies, etc...

She sat pretty low
31982-1042-18500.jpg

I autoX my gen1 nearly stock. As far as the suspension goes, my only mods are urethane bushings. With just the bushings, I can compete with just about anything else @ the track. I do have plans for more suspension mods in the future, but I don't need them just yet.

The bushing job on a Gen is a complete PITA, I helped a guy do his, and WOW is all I can say. After all of that work I decided not to even do mine.

i have auto-x my gen 2 a few times also. the truck does okay if you can control yourself when it comes to throttle control. with stock f1s you can rotate the rear around really easy. the truck will understeer. i ran a set of r compound hoosiers and man did they make a diff. my truck has the following mods:

ruslow 1200lb coil springs
hotchkis shocks front and rear
hotchkis rear leaf springs

soon to come:
hotchkis sway bars frt/rear
ruslow panhard bar
wc lower & lower control arms
and maybe put my 2" drop shackles back on

when my suspension is done it is almost a copy of svt_ky suspension. do a search for some of his open track videos.

Has anyone ever had problems with transmissions getting to hot during this? I've been thinking about this, and our AX track is usually about 1.6 miles long! I'm thinking that might be a little much for the L

Are you only doing one lap at a time? While it is not ideal, for that short of a distance I wouldn't worry about it. If you do want to worry about it, you can add an auxiliary tranny cooler. There is a bunch of fluid in that tranny, it takes it a while to get really hot, and I don't think it will et that hot in 1.6 miles. I used to do a section of mountain road ~14 miles long, manually shifting a lot of 2nd gear stuff. I only boiled the fluid once and that was after 3 or 4 back to back laps like that, kind of dumb, but still my fault. I did know better.

Sloe Truk said:
Are you only doing one lap at a time? While it is not ideal, for that short of a distance I wouldn't worry about it. If you do want to worry about it, you can add an auxiliary tranny cooler. There is a bunch of fluid in that tranny, it takes it a while to get really hot, and I don't think it will et that hot in 1.6 miles. I used to do a section of mountain road ~14 miles long, manually shifting a lot of 2nd gear stuff. I only boiled the fluid once and that was after 3 or 4 back to back laps like that, kind of dumb, but still my fault. I did know better.

Wow, thats alot. It typically looks like this...

This one was 1.6m. Last time I did it, i was in my z06. This time will be in the L. We usually do 4 laps consecutive, then take a break and work the track. Then 4 more laps after lunch.
DSC03090.jpg

Sloe Truk said:
looks like a hoot, gawd I miss having all of that torque.

Ok, so today was the day...
My best time was 108.20
My buddy in his bolt on z06 with slicks ran 2 seconds faster than me.

I dont think the problem is in the transmission. Its the brakes. Mine were smoking on the 2nd - 3rd lap.

IMG_0081.jpg

Yeah, it is hard to find compound that will hold up under track conditions. I know Stan (RUSlow) sells some Hawks and he is a SV here. I used Carbotechs and still use them on my Z. They are not cheap, nor is any track compound cheap. You must be able to stop before you can go fast. The biggest problem with brakes is all of the heat, and even a high performance street pad, can not take the repeated use that is required at the track. I even smoked a set of HPSs yesterday out goofing around in my Z. They just can't handle it. I think Hawk sells several other lines, but talk to our resident 1%er SV for the product line. I no longer refer people to Carbotech.

Sloe Truk said:
Yeah, it is hard to find compound that will hold up under track conditions. I know Stan (RUSlow) sells some Hawks and he is a SV here. I used Carbotechs and still use them on my Z. They are not cheap, nor is any track compound cheap. You must be able to stop before you can go fast. The biggest problem with brakes is all of the heat, and even a high performance street pad, can not take the repeated use that is required at the track. I even smoked a set of HPSs yesterday out goofing around in my Z. They just can't handle it. I think Hawk sells several other lines, but talk to our resident 1%er SV for the product line. I no longer refer people to Carbotech.

I've always been told solid rotors are the best. But that was on my z06. Would cross drilled or slotted rotors help dissapate heat here?

this is just my opinion.

Solid rotors give you the most friction surface possible. that part is logical and can be proven. AS far as heat goes though, it is not the rotor that is getting too hot, you are exceeding the amount of heat that the brake compound was designed to perform. This is called brake fade.

Slotted rotors help with pad gas out but you will loose a little of the friction surface. If you are experiencing brake fade, then it comes at you from two different directions but from the same source. Becasue you have to use the pedal longer and longer to get the same amount of deceleration, you are building up heat. Heat in the pad will cause gassing from the adhesion agent and other parts of the cmpound. This puts a small layer of air between the pad and the rotor. It also transfers heat into the brake fluid via the caliper which is hlding the hot pad.

Cross drilled rotors break, period. They are fine for a show car, or for a very light weight track car. The entire process of drilling through the rotor to allow for cooling and pad gassing is valid on paper, but the facts are it weakens the rotor and disrupts the crystaline structure of the metal. On a 4000 pound pplus truck, you don't need week rotors.

Don't get me wrong, I've broken every kind of rotor out there, it happens, but those are generally from red flag stops wher eyou have not time to cool off.

My recommendation:

Use race compound pads, not high performance street pads. These pads will be expensive, dusty, and noisy. They have a much higher tolerance for heat and in most race compounds, you have to heat them up a little but before they grip optimally. THese pads gas very little if they are bed correctly.

Use a quality high boiling point brake fluid. I use Motul 600, but ATE (blue or clear) or Wilwood are also great fluids. I would look for at least 550 degree dry point fluid. Use DOT4 not DOT5. While DOT5 has a higher rating, it is not intended for uise in these trucks.

If you do the first two recommendations, then it really wont matter that much which rotor you use. I used RUslows slotted rotors, but once I got rel race pads, I wondered if I was giving up a little stopping distance becasue of the slots. I would still probably recommend a slotted rotor just to be safe though.

While you are changing your rotors, I always recommend changing you wheel bearings. Especially if you are still running the OE FFord ones, I always used Federal Mogul bearings, butI don't have the part numbers handy.

If and when you do pads/fluid/rotors you may want to consider the brake lines. There is nothing wrong with the OE lines, they will hold up for AutoXing just fine, however you will get a much firmer pedal feel with a SS brake line.

There is a ton of great information at www.stoptech.com for further reading

Hope this helps you out

Back