Think ya can help?

Devin

Dave I was referred to you by another member on this board who recommends you constantly.

Anyway I have a post in the Gen 1 forum if you would like to see it. It explains why I'm looking for a new exhaust.

My truck has Hedmann Longtube headers, and from the headers back is all custom press bent 2.5 inch exhaust going out to two 40 series Flows, then on back out to some chrome tips exiting out the back. I'm tired of the look, tired of the hangers on the tips breaking, and tired of the sound most importantly. I'm wondering if you can help me?

The SOUND I'm looking for is a as-clone-to-droneless sound as I can get with a nice throaty DEEP growl under acceleration, yet quiet when I'm not on the throttle.

What I am looking for is two mufflers or one muffler dual in/dual out (whatever you recommend) that I can weld up to my existing pipe,and then some tailpipe and tips for a nice stylish exit, and to keep the drone out.

I could possibly drive up to your shop (5, maybe 5 1/2 hour drive for me) if you do installations, or just maybe to meet you and buy the parts in person.

Truck has some bolt ons, and will have a 100 shot on it shortly. Probably a high 13 second truck after the nitrous.

I'm considering a lot of options right now, so I'm not committing to anything. However, I want to keep you in mind as I always try to keep the Lightning vnedors in mind. I know you do it partly for us.

So do you have anything that matches my description?

Thanks for your time Dave!

Last edited:
Hi Devin!

I'm sure I could put something together that you would be happy with... I'm not sure what kind of exit location your looking for but I have a couple of idea's... Depending how your current setup is run and if you want to try to keep part of it will determined the possibilities... Since you have long tubes it should be pretty easy to do... However it might be a better option to have me build the whole system minus the headers to assure proper fit, performance and sound... I believe the Headman's have 3 inch collectors correct? If that's the case I strongly recommend running 3 inch pipes at least to the crossover... What you need is a pair of small mufflers like the Twisters I use behind the headers to solve your drone... That's another reason trying to piece in to what you have may not be a very good option if your wanting to change the exit location and the mufflers... Since your within driving distance it would be easy for me to build a system minus the mid-pipes, Then you could drive up, I could install the system and make the mid-pipes on your truck... I would be interested in seeing how the Headman's fit and where the collector is located in the chassis... I have a good idea on what your wanting as far as sound but where would you prefer the exit location?

TTYL,

Dave thanks for the cordial and quick reply!

I may just save my money up to let you build me a system, I'm not too sure yet.

The reasoning behind this is that I have "true duals" and no cross overs at all. I realize I need a cross over.

As far as an exit goes, I love side exit exhausts, however if a side exit meant more drone, or if a behind the rear tire exit or a back exit would mean less drone (which probably both are probable) I would opt for the one that would give me more in cab comfort.

Long tubes and no cats tend to provide a droney environment as I'm sure you know all about.

If I had you put me a system together minus the headers, could I upgrade to your headers later on down the road without much hassle?

And oh yeah, I will take pictures this week with the digital camera so you can have an idea of where the header collectors come out for your own reference in the future, how does that sound?

Hi Devin,

That sounds good! I'm going to take a good hard look at doing some sort of exhaust that will work with the front gas tank in place and be quiet... I have had several people inquire about such a setup and should have the time to look into this soon! :) I will let you know what I find out... I believe that it should be possible to adapt the system to my headers later on very easily but its hard to say exactly what would need to be done without seeing the truck in person or some good digital pic's with a few measurements... Let me look at a few things then I can provide you with a few reference points to take measurements from... I will get back with you about that soon!

TTYL,
Dave

Be sure to Dave!

This collector leak is killing me!;Y

Think this new system could be a Christmas present from the family in regards of how long it will take to perform the R&D?

Also, I hate to ask you, but any idea on cost?

Hi Devin,

I'm working on the new design right now... If it turns out like I plan your going to love it but I never can tell until I actully start the truck and take it for a drive... I will know more towards the end of the week... I will keep ya posted!

;w

Great news there Dave! I went and checked your systems out in depth on your site, so I have a good idea of what I'm looking for I believe.

Funds are a little tight right now though unfortunattely, so if I can't buy something immediately, I do definetly plan on putting some of your exhaust on even if its later rather than sooner!

Last edited:
Back