The Latest Gen 3 Rumor

That would be great if they really followed through with the idea of a Gen3. Put something wild in a stripped down base model F150 built for nothing more than going fast! No fancy trim, interior, or fancy gadgets just two race themed seat and a race themed dash a lot of horse power and nothing more! Bring back the way it was done in the 60s! a pure muscle truck!!

Surely it will be back one day. I'm a truck guy. I've never been into cars that much. If they put out a new Lightning I may actually be at a point in my life I'd buy it.

I'd be cautiously optimistic on that one. I think Ford is looking for vehicles that are going to pencil out. Look what the new GT40 is going to run. I thought the Gen1 Lightning at over 22K and the Gen2 at over 32K were expensive. Now loaded 1/2 tons are approaching 40-50 grand. How much a new Gen3 would run? I shudder to think.

I suspect the era for sport trucks is over. The 454SS, the Lightnings, the Typhoon/Syclone, the Ram SR10 all gone. Ford chose to focus on the off road and offroad wannabe crowd with the Raptor. The auto manufacturers have to deal with CAFE requirements plus tons of other government regulations that limit what we call the "good stuff". The Mustang is the leader for getting special packages as interest is so much higher with that platform as a performance vehicle than a truck. Ford, as well as the other manufacturers, have to balance fuel mileage of their fleet each year against performance vehicles. Mustang would get the all out nod for performance over a truck if push comes to shove.

Then for me there's that styling thing. While the Raptor isn't too bad the F-150 starting in 2004 has become increasingly uglier to me. The latest version is the ugliest of all thus far !

Think I'd be happier with a Gen 1 with a Coyote drivetrain, maybe even a Gen 2 with a Coyote drivetrain. Maybe even a Gen 1 with an Ecoboost setup.

Scott

If ever was a time to make it it would be now. All aluminum body makes it light enough to have great power to weight ratio. They killed the tremor so that's not in the way too.

With 6 new vehicles still to unveil I think it's a good 50/50 possibility.

A new Lightning (and they BETTER keep the name) would bring life back to the Lightning world!

I did read online that the Ecobeast name was trademarked by Ford the other day, who knows? I have been seeing the chevy commercials with the new line of sportier limited ed. trucks and jeep has their all new trackhawk? or whatever it is suv. I agree with Jamie, now is the time.My 6000lb. 2012 ran mid 12's.They have a lighter platform and the powerplants to do something impressive.

I suspect the era for sport trucks is over. The 454SS, the Lightnings, the Typhoon/Syclone, the Ram SR10 all gone. Ford chose to focus on the off road and offroad wannabe crowd with the Raptor.

Scott

There is truth is in this statement. Its called units sold. The Lightnings didn't actually set the Ford's sales world on fire with numbers sold, and the lack od interest in the Tremor reinforced that notion. So whats Ford to do? Exactly what I would do if I was CEO. Put performance emphasis where the units will sell. Mustangs, FWD and Offroad.

There is truth is in this statement. Its called units sold. The Lightnings didn't actually set the Ford's sales world on fire with numbers sold, and the lack od interest in the Tremor reinforced that notion. So whats Ford to do? Exactly what I would do if I was CEO. Put performance emphasis where the units will sell. Mustangs, FWD and Offroad.

I just don't get what anyone's going to do with 600+ hp in the dirt, other than make youtube vids of jump stunts in which guys flip, crash & trash their $40,000 Raptors, or sink them up to the windows in mud. I used to 4-wheel boonie trails in my little Jeep Wrangler - no way a Raptor could go half the places I went. Must be getting old...

I just don't get what anyone's going to do with 600+ hp in the dirt, other than make youtube vids of jump stunts in which guys flip, crash & trash their $40,000 Raptors, or sink them up to the windows in mud. I used to 4-wheel boonie trails in my little Jeep Wrangler - no way a Raptor could go half the places I went. Must be getting old...

Sad thing is most of those Raptor guys do not go anywhere near the dirt...

I agree, but it's also a different world now. When the first L came out in 93 weren't they nearly $30k? And the gen 2 was just over $30k. Mine stickered at $32,460. That was the most you could spend on a 1/2 ton truck at the time and there were only a handful of people that were willing to. Today I'm not sure you can even buy a decent 1/2 ton for that and people don't think twice about spending $60k on a truck these days.

I agree, but it's also a different world now. When the first L came out in 93 weren't they nearly $30k? And the gen 2 was just over $30k. Mine stickered at $32,460. That was the most you could spend on a 1/2 ton truck at the time and there were only a handful of people that were willing to. Today I'm not sure you can even buy a decent 1/2 ton for that and people don't think twice about spending $60k on a truck these days.

Gen 1s were around $26K fully loaded. Don't know if there were negotiations on the sticker price. Your Gen 2 must be a 2002 model ? Seems that's the same sticker as mine though I didn't pay that for it.

The Lightnings were Halo trucks for the F150s. Ford knew they wouldn't sell a lot and they didn't plan on it. Most won't buy a Lightning but that F150 next to it on the sales floor is the same thing "almost" and the customer can buy one of those ! Be interesting to me to see if a Gen 3 makes it through the red tape process. If it does I'm gonna have'ta find some more space for a new truck. Just wouldn't be right to not have one of more of each generation of the Lightning ! Even if the current body style is butt ugly.

The article reads like someones wishful thinking to me. I dont see FOMOCO investing the needed capital etc to sell less than 6k trucks a yr.
The ROI isnt there IMO.

Funny how this thread just came back, just finished reading an article that says a 2018 lightning will be announced soon. Will come in 2 config, rc/sb and sc/sb. 2 powerplants also. 485 hp and a rumored 535 hp. Read it on ford- trucks. I don't put much stock in it though. The ext. cab seems like a move to expand their buyer pool.

Back