The Grand Adventure from the Great NorthWest...

Skritch

This is our route and all changes, updates, etc will be added to this 1st post on this thread so those interested in joining will not have to search all the posts on this thread.

Please refer to thread listed below for motels for each night's stay, rates negotiated, info for booking a room, etc. Basic motel info also listed at end of this post.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100470

First day out, Sunday Sept 18th. Leave your homes and meet at the junction of highway 97 and I-90 between 10 AM and 11 AM. Continue on I-90 to I-82 (nice road with hilly and curvy sections) to Highway 221, a shortcut and scenic to the Oregon border. Pickup I-82 again and continue to I-84 (another nice road with hilly and curvy sections). Turn left onto I-84 (east) and travel to Ontario, OR for the first nights stay. Travel miles approximately 479. This will vary slightly from my route to I-90 vs those traveling I-90 out of Seattle (yours will probably be a little less).

Second day, Sept 19th leave Ontario, OR to enter Idaho. Continue on and around Boise pick up Tom & Sarah. We will be stopping at Performance Solutions Inc. to meet Matt Compton & his employees and tour his shop. Then it's on to Evanston, WY via I-84 to I-15/I84 south into Utah, picking up I-84 east just south of Ogden, UT. Real nice rest area in this area also. Curvy roads ahead for awhile but good pavement and on to Evanston, WY for Monday night. Travel miles approximately 433.

Third day, Sept 20th leave Evanston, WY and travel through the Rockies and into the plains state of Nebraska to stop at Ogallala, NE for the night. This is a beautiful drive! Travel miles approximately 525.

Fourth day, Sept 21st leave Ogallala, NE and travel to St Joseph, MO. At Lincoln, NE we will pick up highway 2 east from I-80 which will connect with I-29 in the southern tip of Iowa and then on into Missouri. I-29 is a little curvy and follows the Missouri river part of the time. Travel miles approximately 415.

Fifth day, Sept 22nd leave St Joseph, MO and motor on in to the HEADQUARTERS motel ! From St Joseph we are only 70 miles away so in the morning we will want to find a car wash and get them cleaned up so we can make a proper entrance. We will end up being early for check in but Big D and Nan should be roaming around and we can check in with them, get our appropriate parking spaces in the L reserved area of the parking lot and hassle the motel staff for our rooms ! WE ARE THERE ! Let the fun begin !!!

Sept 18th Best Western in Ontario, Oregon gets the nod. Reserve a room under my name (Scott Cedergreen in case you forgot). Here are the rates: King bed $62.10, 1 queen bed $ 57.60, 2 queen beds $72.90. All but 6 rooms have wireless internet connections, all rooms have data ports. These rates are under the published rates. Call during the day if possible and ask for Ashlee. She assured me that if you mention the rate to anybody you talk with it will be honored. Book the room under my name. You can pay for it on checkin individually.

Phone number to motel (541)889-2600

Sept 19th in Evanston, Wyoming. Days Inn - $54.99. They want some business so for the 2nd night out, They have 1 King bed rooms and 2 Queen bed rooms and the price is the same on either room. You must speak with Maria and request this rate with the room you want and reference my name once again. She will be working until 9 PM the rest of this week, August 21-27 and then switches to days next week and will be at work until 3 PM. They have wireless internet connections in each room.

307 789-0783 and ask for Maria.

Third night's stay, Sept 20th will be at the Comfort Inn at Ogallala Nebraska. Ask for Sherry or Ken when you call to book your room. Here it is. 1 person Queen bed room $41.50. 2 people with either a queen or king bed $45.20. Call and reserve your room now !!! Try to talk with Sherry and reference my name.

Telephone number (308) 284-4028

Fourth night's stay September 21st. The Comfort Suites in St Joseph, MO. We have a group I.D. at this place ! Call and tell them you are part of the Lightning group block. Room rates are: 1 king $65, 2 queen $65. You must make the reservations by September 11th. The person I spoke with is Tiffany and she appears to be the day manager there.

[Phone number (816) 232-6557

Scott

Last edited:
The trip is...

...half the fun of L-Fest ! Fabulous scenery and open road !!!
28971-795-19930.jpg

Scott

Your right Scott. Sometimes we get going to fast in our lives and we miss the most important parts!

Thanks Jeff...

...that's actually a pic traveling west in Wyoming headed towards the Rockies. Wife and I were on the way home having just purchased the Gen 1 in Michigan. It's early December of 2004 and while snow is almost everywhere the weather was sunny and the trip great ! Well, great except that the drivers side head gasket had a nick in number 8 cylinder and we traveled about a hundred miles and then had to stop and bleed off the pressure in the cooling system, add a little coolant and continue on !

Steve - Yep, the drive is fabulous !! Will you be joining us ? That's why leaving on Sunday will allow for easier travel and more enjoyment of a big chunk of our country ! Won't be as many as the Texas group but with 5,6, or 7 L's the drive through the Rockies will be somehing that will be in your memory banks forever !

Scott

PS: Haven't actually met you yet Jeff but through Steve have heard a great deal about you go fast Gen 1 guys. Hoping to meet you at L Fest and learn a little bit more about these Gen 1's !

To fast...

The tunes are blaring (can't hear the cell phone that way), the cruise controll is set on 70, the coffee is poured, the cigarette is lit, and the camera is clicking through the windshield held by the right hand of the wife who's following in the chase car and manages to get some fine pics, not wreck or get any tickets. Multitasking done by a brunette.

Mrs. Scriced

You lucky B@stard! Having a wife that can multi-task! Too bad she was in the other vehicle!:idea:

How far do you plan to drive each day? Miles or Time? Weare starting to plan or trip albeit a little bit late. There are rooms still availible at the Main Hotel in the "Lightning Rooms". But not for the general public.:bigtu: :D

Hey kid !...

...great to hear you're thinkin' seriously about joining in on the fun !!!:tu: If we leave on Monday we should try for Twin Falls, Idaho. Next day would be Laramie or Cheyenne Wyoming and the third day just into Iowa/Missouri so we can finish up to KC, MO by 1 PM on Thursday. If we leave Sunday we can take about 150 miles off each day. Twin Falls from Seattle area is about 660 miles. Cheyenne, Wyoming is about 640 miles from Twin Falls. From Cheyenne to Lincoln, NE is only 444 miles.

Scott (Dad) ;k :beanie: ;k

Last edited:
A little over a month away...

All updates, changes, etc will be made in 1st post of this thread. Refer to that for any updates.

Scott

Last edited:
It almost makes me want to drive to WA, so I can drive to KC with your gang!:wave: :bigtu: :dw: :grin1:

FMOS Racing said:
Great job, Scott! Sounds like it's going to be a great trip! :tu:

Hey thanks Jeff. There is spectacular scenery all along the route. Those who haven't traveled east will be overwhelmed through the Rocky Mountain range. Freeways go up and down and curve left and right a lot but most all is good smooth road. Won't be a lot of Lightnings but even a 4 to 7 truck caravan will draw attention. The best thing is once out of Washington the speed limit kicks up to 75 most of the way there ! Oh, yeah, and the gas prices go down steadily from what we're used to paying !!!

Looks like sstock won't be making it this year. We're workin' on him but don't think it's going to happen. On the other hand I wanted to come out to WFC 8 but had already committed to somethin' else that same weekend. Next year ! I want to see some fast Fords run !

Dwight, I noticed the word "almost" in your post is in bold. Does that mean you would almost drive 2000 miles west so you can drive 2000 miles back east ? Should I "almost" book a room at our stop points each night for you ? :D :D :D

Scott

Actually Scott,

I have driven coast to coast (over 2500 miles) ~15 - 20 times while in the USAF and then as a Field Engineer for Honeywell. My home was just outside of Sacramento, and I was stationed at Shaw AFB SC for ~6 years. I then worked for Honeywell out of St. Pete, FL.

The drive holds many special memories, I have taken all the main east-west routes at one time or another, and spent many trips on the old, real Route 66. I have been lucky enough to have driven the southern route (US90) before it was replaced by I-10. I have made the trip on all of the main, central east-west routes, many before the new interstates were built. The old northern route, now I-94 is also a trip of many wonders to behold.

Yes, I would love to drive to the NW (BTW I lived in Seattle for 2 years), and drive to KC with all of you, but Nan and I will be busy getting ready for your arrival. :tu:

Is Dale planning to attend this year and bring his latest "BEAST".:?

...Dwight...

25 days 'till...

...the Grand Adventure begins.....Steve, are ya with us or Roy or somethin' ?

Scott

Hi Scott,

Matt Compton from PSI has generously agreed to support LightningFest by paying for the Pro Truck prizes. He has also added a payout for the fastest qualifier.:tu:

If your convoy is going through Boise, you may want to take a rest stop there and meet him and his employees.:idea: I have put his contact information below.

Thanks,

...Dwight...

Matt Compton
President
Performance Solutions Inc.
5032 W.State St. Unit#B
Boise,Idaho 83703
208-853-RACE (7223)

We are traveling through Boise...

...and if Matt doesn't mind a visit in the morning, it's only an hour away from Ontario, OR and we could stop and say Hi and thank you. Don't know what his business entails but maybe a short tour and if there is anything he would like us to bring to KC we could do that for him also. I'll call him to speak with him to see if he is up for any of this.

Scott

PSI is the supplier of many Gen 1 motors and parts. Many of the NLOC Gen 1 guys and gals have delt with Matt's group for years. This is the company that Philip use to run.

Back