The Grand Adventure from the Great Northwest # 3

Skritch

Yep, there'll be one ! Considering a change in routing to I-70 for '07 to include a stop at the Shelby American Collection in Boulder, CO on September 18th or 19th. Lots to work on to plan the route and to see if we can even get in to the museum.

Additional thoughts are to meet up with the Cali group for the rest of the drive in to KC.

Keep watching, it'll come together over the next many months, one way of the other.

Scott

Well, the Shelby American Collection is out. Finally got ahold of them and they don't do tours for small groups (under 100) and they don't open up on weekdays. Still, the scenery is stunning through Utah and Colorado to Denver. Then it gets flat....

Scott

Plannin' has finally started. Thinkin' seriously about takin' the I-70 route as eastern Utah and western Colorado have FABULOUS scenery...eastern Colorado and Kansas are the same as Nebraska....flat

Scott

We're finally underway ! Anticipated route is I-90 to I-82 to I-84 to I-15 to I-70 to Lees Summit, MO. If weather conditions do not allow for travel via I-70 over the Rockies we will travel the route taken in previous years, I-90 to I-82 to I-84 to I-80 to I-29 to Lees Summit, MO.

Would like to have a head count for those attending the Grand Adventure from the Great Northwest #3 please....

Scott - white '94 SuperCab
Jean - white '95 Gen 1
Bill & Barb - true blue '02 Gen 2

First day out, Sunday September 16th, all gather up your stuff and meet at the North Bend Chevron at 9 AM. That'll be exit 31 eastbound on I-90. For you going eastbound take exit 31, at the bottom of the ramp turn left and go under the freeway to the first intersection. On your right will be the Chevron gas station (OK the convienence store that sells Chevron gas). Meet there and be ready to leave at 9 AM, plus or minus 10 minutes. We'll travel I-90 to I-82 at Ellensburg, taking I-82 to I-84 in Oregon. We'll be stopping at exit 109 or 110 on I-82 to gas up before entering Oregon so as not to have to stop in Oregon for gas (ya can't fill up your own vehicle in OR, the attendent does it for you). Once on I-84 east we'll continue through Oregon into Idaho. We'll be stopping at exit 54 on I-84 in Boise at the Sleep Inn for the night. We will want to fill up the gas tanks on the trucks before checking in so we'll have full tanks to roll out in the morning (we'll do this every evening before checking in). Mileage from North Bend, WA to exit 53 in Idaho is 475 miles. There is a time change just west of Ontario, OR from Pacific time to Mountain time.

There are currently 4 rooms set aside for us under my name at the Sleep Inn. 2 smoking rooms, 2 nonsmoking rooms. Those traveling this first day do not need to call to reserve a room, they are already reserved and I have the confirmation numbers. If more rooms are needed than the four I would need to know ASAP so as to add to the number of rooms set aside. If less rooms are needed I can call to cancel a day or two beforehand. Price - $55 plus taxes per room. Here's a link to the motel...

Boise Idaho hotels, Sleep Inn hotel near Boise State University, Boise ID 83705

Scott

Next stop on Monday the 17th is in Salina, Utah. You'll want to book the room ASAP .

Best Western International Hotels - HOME

Click on the link. That is the Best Western home page. In the yellow block at the upper left hand area type in Salina for the city, Utah for the state. Set the check in date as September 17th and checkout date September 18th then click on "FIND HOTEL". On the next page that comes up click on "check availability" for the Best Western Shaheen Motel. On the next page under "Select Occupancy and Rates" set the number of rooms to 1, the guests per room as required (1 or 2), and select "best rate" for the "select rate plan" drop down menu. Then click on "view available rooms". On the next page click on the room desired under the "best rate". Either 2 queens, 1 king, or 2 queens smoking. There are only 5 smoking rooms. Price for 2 queens is $66.26 + taxes. Always try to get a 2-bed room as they are a little larger.

Now, the plan will be to leave Boise, ID and travel east on I-84 into Utah. I-84 and I-15 become one and within a few miles Hill Air Force Base Museum in Roy will be on the left of the freeway. Anticipate a stop there to view the aircraft, both inside and outside the building. Plan on 2 hours for the visit then on to Salina, Utah for the night. Depending on arrival time at the museum we could spend a little more time but we do want to get to the motel in Salina before dark. Route planning will be posted later beyond Hill AFB.

Route planning from Hill AFB museum: Mileage to Salina from Roy is 170 miles. Estimated time from MSN mapping, 2 hours, 34 minutes. Figure closer to 3 hours. We will have to go throught the menagerie of the greater Salt Lake City area. There is construction on I-15 through this area. Once clear of that mess we'll continue on I-15 south to exit 222. Take the exit to connect with state highway 28. Follow 28 to Salina, Utah. 28 and US 89 merge into one at Gunnison, UT. Continue south on 28/US89. Stop at Salina, Utah at Best Western for the night. Motel is at the south end of Salina close to I-70 freeway. Address of Best Western is 1225 S. State St. Fuel vehicles before check in.

Link to a pictorial article of Hill AFB museum...Pictures and captions from the HILL AEROSPACE MUSEUM

Scott

This is it ! That was a song by somebody a long time ago but.....

Third day out it'll be in Denver at the Best Western Denver Tech Center. Just got off the phone with the "night manager" and he assures me it's in a "good" section of town.

Here's the link to the hotel and from there you can book a room:

Bestwestern.com, the World's Largest Hotel Chain.

When you book select "BEST RATE" to get the $66.24. Or you can select the AARP rate if you're old like some of us.....and get $63.36.

....OR, call this number for Best Western customer service ( 1-800-780-7234) and ask for the "managers special" rate which is $61.20 for this motel. The customer service person didn't know how long the rate would last but it's there now (8/2/07) so call NOW to try and get it.

This motel is around a 1/2 hour off I-70 and appears to be easy enough to find. This will be for the night of the 18th of September after a day of FABULOUS scenery from Salina, UT. You'll get to see the San Rafael Swell and then drive over the Rockies to Denver.

The short version is if you're travelin' on this odessy, book the room and BOOK it NOW !

Scott

Last night on the road. It's Salina, KS at the Comfort Inn. $63.99 for a room. That's $16 less than the standard rate, $8 less than the best rate from the website. Call the motel for the rate. I talked with Matt, the night manager and he starts at 11 PM Central time. Told him others would be calling to book their rooms. Assume you can call in the daytime and get the same rate. Here's the link to the motel...

Salina, Kansas hotel near Kansas State University - Comfort Inn 67401, KS036

$64 for a Comfort Inn.........NICE !

Thursday morn will be a short trip to Abilene, KS to view President Eisenhower's museum and grounds. Then off to a car wash to get the bug spatter and dust off (it will not rain on our trip !) and then into Lees Summit and the Hampton Inn for 4 nights !

Scott

Scott,

Looks like Jeff and I are leaving at 0dark30 on Tues.. Plan on 90 to 82 to 84 1st stop Ogden, then 80 to second stop at Lincoln, leve Thurs AM to KC.

Well Scott, You Will Be A Day Ahead Of Us Wehn You Cruise Thru Denver. Yeah, Tech Center Is Not Too Bad Area But I Generally Go For The I225 & Iliff Area (It Is Blocks From Randy's And A Couple Of Miles Over Evans To Dealership) If You Hit Town Righ You Can Beat Me To Get A First Look At My New Harley !!!!

MJ

And I thought I was crazy!!

Looking forward to seeing you guys - have a safe trip!
MJ - Don't break anything, ok?

And I thought I was crazy!!

Looking forward to seeing you guys - have a safe trip!
MJ - Don't break anything, ok?

I Guarantee Nothing.

This Year, I Have A New Enclosed Trailer, Will Make The First 1,100 Miles With The Old (27,000 Mile) Truck. So, God Willing I Won't have TOO Many (Knock On Wood) Things That Can Break.......

Sorry Jeff that I let you down on the first leg of the trip.
After talking to Scott, we wont be going to Speedway in Lincoln Neb. either. The museum is by special appointment only, not open to the public. So I guess I'll see you at Lincoln Wed. night unless you change your route.

Steve

Let Me Know!

:)If needing anything here in Utah, let me know. I would love to meet up and say hey to you guys. The roads around Ogden area are worn and rough. I am from Nephi ( south of Provo ) My house is just off I-15. Let me know when you are in the area. 435-623-4556 ( ask for Jason )

See Ya! Have a safe trip.:eek:ldtu:

Oh Yeh....

Overboost once again. Exit 222 ( don't hit my house ) you will have a Flying J on your right making the exit. The food sucks, Gas is cheap! If needing lunch or just a hold me over, JC Mickelsons is on your right just after you pass under I-15 heading on to Gunnison. The food is OK but you may want a barf bag handy. The best food joint in town is the steak house ( Second Nephi Exit ) just under I-15. It is next to the Golf Course. Construction is underway for a new business here in town and the rock trucks are all over the 222 exit area. Take time when getting off the freeway. Them trucks fly through town and rocks follow!
Let me know if you have the ability to stop for a brief hello!:heart::embar:
Thanks guys:thumbup:

Jason,

Are you willing to drive a little, because on the way back there will be four of us traveling together and I'm pretty sure we plan on meeting up with another Lightning owner in the Ogden area when we blow back through.

Jeff

Sure....It is my Birthday on the 16th ( no age telling ) but I told my bro I need a day to drive the L. What time and day are you planning on being out this way? I could drive up to and back from Ogden. I have one other L owner who may want to take a drive as well. :grin1: Just thoughts, let me know what you have in mind!:eek:ldtu:

Jason, the wife and I will be headed your way on the 17th. Leaving Boise, ID and headed to Salina, UT. Depending on our time frame we'll plan on stopping by for at least a hello. Maybe a bite to eat too.

Just the two of us travelin' to L Fest this year on the Grand Adventure from the Great Northwest and we're drivin' our 2 Gen 1's. I'll have your info with me and give ya a ring as we approach.

Scott

Back