The downside to 875 rwtq and lifting the tire in a limo sized lightning...

You said they were $500-$700 more. A good CM shaft will cost you $600-$800 (with CM yoke and solid joints) so I jut added $500-$700 to that.

If that CF shaft had steel ends in it instead of AL it probably wouldn't have came apart like it did. Do the new ones have AL ends still?

$600-$800 + $500-$700 is $1100-$1500....you only said $1500 lol. I said $500-$700 more because people are talking like a CM steel shaft is $300-$500 (not necesssarily in this thread, but on fb and LR).

I guess to remove the confusion, the CF DS was $900-$950 when I first ordered it for my long wheelbase truck. Price has gone up and now they're between $1,000-$1,200 for a 139" wheelbase harley truck. Cheaper for a L, not sure on the price. So for a L, it may be the same price to maybe $200 or so more if a CM one can cost up to $800. So now you're talking $0-$200 price increase for a stronger tube material, lighter weight, better performance, and higher safety factor in case of a failure.

If the CF shaft had steel ends on it, it wouldn't have stopped the u-joint from failing, the cups that hold the needle bearings disentigrated, there were miniscule pieces all over the track, I picked up a couple of them, and with no cup still in tact, that u-joint is falling out with that kind of torque behind it, no matter what the end material, so it's a moot point that the aluminum ear also tore off, when the joint was coming out and shedding the driveshaft anyway.

A quick google search has CF driveshafts still in the $900 range. That's a $500 difference. If for whatever reason the DS is loose under the vehicle it is going to do $500 in damage if it is steel. Depending on how it fails, it could take the rearend or trans with it and then you are really spending money. None of us like it when stuff breaks, but if I have to put a fuse to put in the driveline a CF DS works really well for that.

That was like a biography I just read lol. I changed my u joints 2 years ago or so just bc they were old. Looked fine when I removed them. Spicer solid u joints. Did raising the back of your truck up help it hook? My truck is way low and works awesome.

My point about the steel ends is that the wouldn't have been destroyed like the aluminum.

Let's be clear on the price thing. What comes with that CF shaft for $950?

The strange 3-1/2" CM one is $415 including solid u-joints but no CM yoke.

3 1/2" Chrome-moly driveshaft with Strange forged 1350 weld-ends & heavy duty u-joints. - Tubular Driveshafts - Driveshafts & Components - Drag Race

Make up your mind, is the CM shaft $415 or $600-$800? lol

The CF DS for $900-950 included everything, spicer trans yoke, u-joints front and rear, 7075 aluminum driveshaft yokes, and ford pinion yoke, shipped from FL to NJ.

Here's the pics of the u-joint I was talking about, just look at the amount of material on the right hand side that is worn away....that did NOT happen in the fraction of a second when things broke....that's years and miles of wear eating away, and causing a LOT of slop inside that joint cup

600x337xJoint-01.jpg.pagespeed.ic.FXFgSsIzfR.jpg

I'm assuming either a non-ideal pinion angle, or a tiny piece of dirt in the bearings caused it to eat away over time, slowly destroying the needle bearings, then slowly eating away at the joint, causing lots of slop inside that cup, eventually cracking the cup, losing the grease, heating up, getting brittle, getting stressed, and finally shattered the cap, breaking loose, breaking the ear and dropping the driveshaft, and snapping the tube once it hit the muffler (rather than stay in tact like a steel or aluminum one would have done and destroy the ever living snot out of everything under my truck lol)

Joint-02.jpg

Joint-03.jpg

Joint-04.jpg

The pics dont show it very well, but you can clearly see signs of heating in the metal around the wear area, which would be from high friction on long durations of use (street truck problems [smilie=om LOL). I work with a lot of mechanical and materials engineers and took it to a few of them who aren't car guys, had no idea what the part was at first, other than they look at failed parts all day long, and they all said basically the same thing as what I suspected. Then I showed them the driveshaft tube and their jaws dropped when they realized it was out of my truck lol.

So once again, with the u-joint being the culprit that failed first, that driveshaft was coming out no matter what material it was made out of. I'll use your very own analogy again, "tune it right and you won't have to worry about melting a piston or lifting a head gasket", well set your pinion angle right and you won't have to worry about failing a u-joint taking out your driveshaft, therefore the tube material has nothing to do with the failure, and CF has advantages all across the board other than a couple hundred dollar price difference.

[QUOTE="oilwell1415, post: 2083002, member: 22767"]A quick google search has CF driveshafts still in the $900 range. That's a $500 difference. If for whatever reason the DS is loose under the vehicle it is going to do $500 in damage if it is steel. Depending on how it fails, it could take the rearend or trans with it and then you are really spending money. None of us like it when stuff breaks, but if I have to put a fuse to put in the driveline a CF DS works really well for that.[/QUOTE]

I can't keep up on what a steel driveshaft goes for. First it was $300, then it was $800, now it's $400 lol. Whatever it is, $500 is a drop in the bucket on what we spend on these trucks, and to shed 40-60 lbs over a steel one on rotational mass is a HUGE chunk, and the added safety factor with it having 3 times the strength, it's a small price difference to pay. Like you said I've seen guys break steel and aluminum ones and it trash the exhaust, dent the floor, dent the fuel tank, and even crack the transmission case. The CF in that scenario is just shattering itself, and maybe leaving a black mark or two on whatever it hits as it shatters.

That was like a biography I just read lol. I changed my u joints 2 years ago or so just bc they were old. Looked fine when I removed them. Spicer solid u joints. Did raising the back of your truck up help it hook? My truck is way low and works awesome.

lol yeah I type fast haha.

I'm not sure what brand my u-joints were that are in there (anybody recogonize the markings?) but Mark @ PST did say we'd use spicer solid u-joints, spicer yokes, and a thicker tube with the power my truck is making, compared to how this one was spec'ed out to 9 years ago when I was making half the power.

Raising my truck up definitely helped, but I made a lot of changes at the same time, so can't say exactly what changed what. I used to have a 5" rear drop with hotchkis leafs and 4" shackles. I swapped that to fiberglass leafs and 1" shackles bringing it up to a 3" rear drop. The shackles made the biggest difference on pinion angle bringing it back from being really negative, but I never dialed it in beyond whatever it landed at from the new leafs and shackles. With pulling several 1.34 sixty foots in a 19' long lightning limo, I wasn't about to touch the suspension after getting my 60' down like that lol.

Anyway, I snagged a great deal on an aluminum driveshaft from screwonbudnik20s. It's from a 4R70W 139" wheelbase supercrew so I'm dropping it off today to get it shortened for the 4R100 139" wheelbase length. (from 76" to 69" u-joint centerline to u-joint centerline for anyone's future reference). Then I can check the trans out, make sure all is well internally, and decide my path forward from there on the trans and rear mod plans (no time like the present to upgrade if I'm ever going to do it!), and if the trans is okay I'll be able to cruise for the rest of the spring and summer, and I'll order a new CF DS for the fall :rockon_ford

296x526xAl-01.jpg.pagespeed.ic.WzzTGh6lTY.jpg

Josh, do they offer it with a CM trans slip yoke?

The one I have is a spicer slip yoke, it's steel, not sure if it's CM. I'm sure you could order it with something different if you wanted, or without it if you wanted to reuse your own.

Spicer trans yokes are just a forged piece of steel, chromoly yokes are around $100 more then them.

Like I said before Cridical speed VS lenth of drive shaft is very important here. The lenth of the DS that JOSH has you need either a 4" aluminum or CF shaft. The weight of a Chrome moly shaft in 3 1/2" (the lenth of what JOSH needs) would be so heavy. Other than HP, Josh gets his speed from a lighter overall weight platform. With my short 46" CM driveshaft center to center on the u-joint ,I was fine with a 3" CM shaft , Yes the CM yoke and forged ends were EXTRA protection. I paid $498.00 to my door from strange the $50 wide flange for the rear brings it to $550.00 What is the lenth center to center JOSH????

Spicer trans yokes are just a forged piece of steel, chromoly yokes are around $100 more then them.

So for a trans yoke, you'll spend more money for a piece that doesn't weigh less, doesn't perform better, just has a higher factor of safety, but for the tube you're against spending more money for a piece that does weigh less, does perform better, and also has a higher factor of safety....you been hanging around Dennis too much? lol

Like I said before Cridical speed VS lenth of drive shaft is very important here. The lenth of the DS that JOSH has you need either a 4" aluminum or CF shaft. The weight of a Chrome moly shaft in 3 1/2" (the lenth of what JOSH needs) would be so heavy. Other than HP, Josh gets his speed from a lighter overall weight platform. With my short 46" CM driveshaft center to center on the u-joint ,I was fine with a 3" CM shaft , Yes the CM yoke and forged ends were EXTRA protection. I paid $498.00 to my door from strange the $50 wide flange for the rear brings it to $550.00 What is the lenth center to center JOSH????

My driveshaft is 69" from u-joint centerline to u-joint centerline....so 23" longer than yours.

And you hit the nail right on the head Dennis, my truck is light for it's size, I've always been keen on weight reduction. Makes going faster less strenuous on everything, and is one of the reasons my truck has put down the times it has for being a "Lightning Limo". Now it's still heavier than your average Lightning at the track, but it's no 5600 lb pig out there either. If I stopped caring about 5 lbs here, 10 lbs there, or in the case of the driveshaft about 60+ lbs of rotational mass, I'd be lucky to have a 10 sec truck let alone a 9 sec truck.

So for a trans yoke, you'll spend more money for a piece that doesn't weigh less, doesn't perform better, just has a higher factor of safety, but for the tube you're against spending more money for a piece that does weigh less, does perform better, and also has a higher factor of safety....you been hanging around Dennis too much? lol

in the case of the driveshaft about 60+ lbs of rotational mass

You've been hanging around those internet racers too much Josh. We have seen spline issues with just a forged yoke. Ask Dennis about how he had to use a hammer to get his yoke out of the trans. Also not sure of your 60+ pound figure. Here is Dennis's measurements.

I know we don't think about things like this:: I was bored today and weighed the stock driveshaft 16.4 LBS That is complete as you would take it out of our trucks. The bare tube no u-joints is 7.4 LBS. When I get my 3" CM driveshaft I will weigh the complete unit before install, I am figuring about 7 lbs more:headscratch:

I got my 3" Chomemoly .083 wall thickness driveshaft from Strange yesterday. I weighed it with the wide flange on just about 22 LBS . It also has the Forged chromemoly ends welded on the tube with 1350 joints and a CM U1669 yoke. I was 46" center to center.

I was skeptical of the 60lb figure, but having never held a CF or CM driveshaft in my hands couldn't say for sure. I'm pretty sure I've never handled any kind of driveshaft that even weighed 60lbs to start with, but some of the bigger trucks with two piece shafts might have.

Even though a CF is lighter, I'm not sure the difference is significant. Even though they are lighter, they seem to also be larger in diameter which has a larger influence on rotating weight than the actual weight does. A 4" shaft has 30% more inertia than a 3.5" shaft of the same weight, so a lot of your weight savings goes away just based on the geometry of the parts.

You've been hanging around those internet racers too much Josh. We have seen spline issues with just a forged yoke. Ask Dennis about how he had to use a hammer to get his yoke out of the trans. Also not sure of your 60+ pound figure. Here is Dennis's measurements.

Maybe on the Gen 1 Lightnings. That's never been an issue on the Gen 2's. Not saying it couldn't happen, but in 14 years on the forums, I've never read nor heard of anyone with a gen 2 having their yoke stuck in the trans or the trans yoke getting damaged.

As for the 60+ lb figure, sorry I wasn't going off the weight of an aftermarket CM shaft. The 2 piece harley truck DS that's steel weighs around that figure. It's a TANK.

So okay I could spend $800 for a CM shaft with CM yoke (going off your other post where you said it's $600-$800) and have it weight around 33 lbs (estimating a 69" shaft if a 46" one is 22 lbs), or I could spend another $100-$200 over that, for a stronger CF shaft with a forged yoke that has no issues in the gen 2's, probably under 10 lbs (90% of it the yokes), higher safety factor, and better performance from less rotational mass.

STILL don't see any justification towards getting a CM one instead of CF to save a whopping couple hundred bucks.

I was skeptical of the 60lb figure, but having never held a CF or CM driveshaft in my hands couldn't say for sure. I'm pretty sure I've never handled any kind of driveshaft that even weighed 60lbs to start with, but some of the bigger trucks with two piece shafts might have.

Even though a CF is lighter, I'm not sure the difference is significant. Even though they are lighter, they seem to also be larger in diameter which has a larger influence on rotating weight than the actual weight does. A 4" shaft has 30% more inertia than a 3.5" shaft of the same weight, so a lot of your weight savings goes away just based on the geometry of the parts.

One issue there, 90% of the mass of the CF shaft is the trans/pinion yokes, which are the same regardless, so it's not as straightforward as just comparing weights of the full assemblies. The CF tube itself is probably all of 2 lbs. The 7075 tube yokes are probably 3-4 lbs. The steel yokes on the trans and pinion are there no matter what tube material you have. So it is a significant weight difference.

So maybe yes comparing a CM shaft to a CF shaft instead of OEM steel, the tube material may be closer to 20 lbs difference instead of 60, but in the game of shedding every pound available, 10-20 lbs is still a significant savings in 1 spot that doesn't reduce any functionality, inceases safety factor, and adds strength.

The CM 3-1/2" shaft (I'm quoting Strange prices) is $415 plus $180 for the CM yoke. If you get the forged yoke it's $80 for that yoke.

So it's $500 for CM with forged yoke or $900-$950 for that in CF. So $400-$450 more is closer to realistic.

I'll spend $400 any day of the week for performance/weight/safety!

JLP is also now a dealer for PST!

FIgured I'd update this since it's been a while....

Early May I picked up a used 4R70W/139"WB aluminum driveshaft off LR. Dropped it off to Joe to get shortened to fit the 4R100/139"WB combo. Picked it back up late May and popped it in the truck, took it for a spin, trans seemed fine. Tucked the truck away in the garage, busy with building 44 battery relocation cable kits.

Late June we had a GTG at Quaker Steak & Lube in Brick...11 Lightnings/Harley Trucks convoying through Lakewood on the way home, 2 lane roads with lots of traffic lights = lots of street racing and burnouts....apparently when the DS snapped the shock must have cracked something inside the trans, because as soon as I started flogging on the truck on the way home from QS&L, the trans started acting up big time. It's in 2nd gear limp mode, won't go into 1st, and will only upshift to 3rd at 4k+ RPM. On the bright side I won a trophy at QS&L lol

July was busy with work travel, vacation, working at my parents rental property, etc. Truck sat.

Wednesday I'm taking the day off to tow the truck up to Vinnie's and borrow his lift to yank the trans out. Hopefully be able to drop the trans off at JL's sometime later this week to get it refreshed. Also going to send the converter back to PI for a refresh since it's 8 years old now. May as well, the rest of the trucks driveline is brand new (refreshed engine, redid the rear, snapped the driveshaft, now trashed the trans lol). Also going to measure to order my CF DS. Aluminum DS for a HD up for sale!

Goal is to be up and running by Spookfest. Hopefully it's less than a month for the trans to get refreshed, converter to get refreshed, and be able to get back to JLs to pick the trans up and install it. I want one T&T before SF since there's still a small chance I've got a lifted head too. 1st pass at Cecil back in April it pushed a little coolant out the cap, but it was overfilled. I dropped the level to the right spot for the 2nd pass but thats when the DS snapped. Nothing like chasing my tail for a year!

Back